Realistic expectations.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There is no doubt in my mind that this team cant succeed and make the 8.
It all comes down to ONE thing.
"Pride"
Pride was lacking last year ,to the point of embarrassment.
If this coaching dept cant get some steel and will to win in our top players this year,I hope they bring out the broom at seasons end.Starting at the top.
Dce needs to control this team and lift it when needed.No more falling to pieces under pressure.He can do this but needs to be consistent week in week out.
Pride comes from strong leaders on and off field .
Des & Dce ,Lets do this...........
This is by no means aimed soley at Cherry ,I hope we have enough depth and youngsters chomping at the bit to get a run ,that when a player doesnt give 100% he is dumped .All the players need to earn & own their jersey.
Having the available quality back up roster to enforce this fear of losing your spot may be where we fall short.

Last edited:
There is no doubt in my mind that this team cant succeed and make the 8.
It all comes down to ONE thing.
"Pride"
Pride was lacking last year ,to the point of embarrassment.
If this coaching dept cant get some steel and will to win in our top players this year,I hope they bring out the broom at seasons end.Starting at the top.
Dce needs to control this team and lift it when needed.No more falling to pieces under pressure.He can do this but needs to be consistent week in week out.
Pride comes from strong leaders on and off field .
Des & Dce ,Lets do this...........
This is by no means aimed soley at Cherry ,I hope we have enough depth and youngsters chomping at the bit to get a run ,that when a player doesnt give 100% he is dumped .All the players need to earn & own their jersey.
Having the available quality back up roster to enforce this fear of losing your spot may be where we fall short.

I think a lot of blame for Manly's poor efforts is unfairly aimed at DCE. Like Tom T, he puts in every match probably far more than he should have to. Check his figures, his defence, probably the best in the game. The problem is that DCE takes too much upon himself because we had a clueless coach and several backline players who should have been in the Reggies. In the last year our attack in the backline consisted of DCE, TT and Kelly full stop. Walker spent much of the season on the side line and then when on the field in a position (5/8) not suited for his running style. Then we had slow runners such as Croker, M. Wright, Suli (he'll get better though), Parker, while we had speedsters T. Wright and Anderson sitting on the sidelines rather than on the wing where they would have given us penetration. Then the exile of Hastings, the misuse of Hodkinson. Little wonder DCE (and TT) felt they had to do it all themselves, and that's where their game suffered (check their Blues performances where they had better backline support). But the blame should not be on those two. They put in week after week.

Manly has been undergoing the biggest instant culture transfusion in NRL history, and we will certainly improve.
However, many if not most of the other clubs will also improve, so to win more games and move up the ladder won't be easy.
I'm inclined to wait and see the final makeup of our squad before settling on my own ladder expectations.
Meanwhile ... in 2019 I reasonably expect us not to give up 3 tries in 5 minutes, and not to suffer any 40 or 50 point beltings. Please.

Interesting fact
Manly finished 2nd last in 2003 the year before hasler took over and started slow in 2004 before coming home strong and finishing 4 points out of the 8

When you add that this is a much stronger squad than 03 Its easy to be optimistic of top 8 next season.

Last edited:
Manly has been undergoing the biggest instant culture transfusion in NRL history, and we will certainly improve.
However, many if not most of the other clubs will also improve, so to win more games and move up the ladder won't be easy.
I'm inclined to wait and see the final makeup of our squad before settling on my own ladder expectations.
Meanwhile ... in 2019 I reasonably expect us not to give up 3 tries in 5 minutes, and not to suffer any 40 or 50 point beltings. Please.

If that’s all we get in year one of Des we will win a few games and go up 4 or 5 spots.

I'm not so forgiving about DESpicable who ruthlessly s*** on this club six years ago.
While I'm delighted that the Penns have started to invest heavily in off-field staff I'll need to see massive improvement in our on-field resolve and performances before I let DESpicable off from my grievances.
It seems everybody is sure we are going to improve under DESpicable. I hope this optimism is justified.
Unless we are realistically challenging for a top eight spot in 2019 I'll be disappointed, and my opinion about our floppy-haired formerly super fit coach will still be tinged with bitter memories.

I have faith in the Des signing someone to piece his puzzle together...and it will be someone the "media" didn't even get a sniff of in true Des style.

My bet is Will Hoppa, but wouldn't be surprised if it's Whare, hope i'm right.
Hoppa or whare.. hmmm i like these 2 options id prefer hoppa because he can play full back

I think a lot of blame for Manly's poor efforts is unfairly aimed at DCE. Like Tom T, he puts in every match probably far more than he should have to. Check his figures, his defence, probably the best in the game. The problem is that DCE takes too much upon himself because we had a clueless coach and several backline players who should have been in the Reggies. In the last year our attack in the backline consisted of DCE, TT and Kelly full stop. Walker spent much of the season on the side line and then when on the field in a position (5/8) not suited for his running style. Then we had slow runners such as Croker, M. Wright, Suli (he'll get better though), Parker, while we had speedsters T. Wright and Anderson sitting on the sidelines rather than on the wing where they would have given us penetration. Then the exile of Hastings, the misuse of Hodkinson. Little wonder DCE (and TT) felt they had to do it all themselves, and that's where their game suffered (check their Blues performances where they had better backline support). But the blame should not be on those two. They put in week after week.
The blame put on dce was spot on and well earned. He makes the big bucks and is our captain. Imo he should of been dropped multiple times this year he was awful in some games, horrendous in others. Constantly kicking out while we are losing and not putting up a bomb or going for a repeat set is unforgivable. His lack of repeat sets and polish on attacking sets also should of seen him dropped. He got better after origin and proved he could be a great player if he has help and more experience around him.

Agree that D C E produced 3 or 4 of the worst games i have seen him play for Manly just after the Gladstone episode and prior to the 3 rd S O O game . Would put part of the blame on Trent 's coaching tactics but mainly Cherry 's lack of application and discipline during that specific time . Then really picked up his game and effectiveness for Manly after S O O 3 . Have faith that under Des :s coaching regime again that he can be at his best for 2019 for Manly . With still some uncertainty over Elgey 's capacity to play to a required six role , definitely need D C E to be playing at his optimum level next season and to earn his big pay grade .

The blame put on dce was spot on and well earned. He makes the big bucks and is our captain. Imo he should of been dropped multiple times this year he was awful in some games, horrendous in others. Constantly kicking out while we are losing and not putting up a bomb or going for a repeat set is unforgivable. His lack of repeat sets and polish on attacking sets also should of seen him dropped. He got better after origin and proved he could be a great player if he has help and more experience around him.

Not disputing that DCE had some poor games as did the Turbos, but the argument I was making was that these guys were trying too hard and covering the lack of skill elsewhere in the team.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8