Rd.1 Team ideas

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One great thing for the first time in years we seem to have some depth.

Even back in the "glory days" we were one or two injuries away from falling at the final hurdle.

If their heads are in the right place who knows!!

I'm pretty much decided on the 17 I'd go with, with the exception of 2 spots!

Stewart
Hiku
Lyon
Matai
Taufua/Gutherson
Foran
DCE
Starling
Ballin
Lawrence
Buhrer
Mateo
Leary

Burgess
Mason
Lui
JSL/Symonds/Taufua

The two positions I can't decide on are the left wing and final bench spot!

Taufua - Pros- Best go forward winger in the game when fit, could add much needed punch and x-factor to help us get on top in the arm wrestle! Great finisher, very rarely misses a try when given a bit of space or even a one on one opportunity close to the opposition try line.

Cons - was poor under the highball at the end of last year, seemed hampered by injury, Steve Matai can pick up some of the slack left by Jorge if he's left out of the side so we may not lose too much in that department (backs starting the set after a kick).

Gutherson - Pros - Up and comer and heir apparent to Killer in the centres in my opinion, the more first grade he plays now the smoother the transition will be when we lose one of our backline stars. Looks to have a touch of class and could be the answer to our below par goal kicking in recent times. Safe as houses under the high ball.

Cons- not as good a finisher as Taufua.

Verdict- Gutherson wins out, I think he probably won't score as many as Taufua but won't let in as many either, he adds much needed pace to convert long range efforts and excellent goal kicking skills are an added bonus. Ultimately both his ceiling and floor are higher than Jorge's.

Symonds - Pros - Utility value, can play anywhere from wing to lock, while we may have all positions in the backline and hooker covered between Hiku, Mateo and Buhrer if we lose a centre or fullback and hiku is forced to move then we don't have suitable wing coverage this has hurt us in the past. In saying that Symonds isn't an ideal winger either.

JSL - excellent player provides good impact off the bench, probably the best player of the three I am comparing, one off season fitter, a bit more size would definitely help him.

Taufua - best of both worlds adds the same utility value as Symonds if we could turn him into an explosive back rower playing 20-30 per game he could add massive impact and good variation to our attack on the left edge.

Verdict - to even my own surprise I think Taufua is a great option as the last bench player, he's not our best back rower or our best winger but I think he fits into the puzzle very well.

So now I've decided those 2 positions same team as above with Gutho on the wing and Jorge in the final bench spot! I know most of you will probably disagree interested to hear thoughts though?

PS: sorry for the novel for the sake of two of the more insignificant positions, believe it or not I tried to keep it short!

Last edited:
Wolfy - Pros- Best go forward winger in the game when fit, could add much needed punch and x-factor to help us get on top in the arm wrestle! Great finisher, very rarely misses a try when given a bit of space or even a one on one opportunity close to the opposition try line. His strike rate is up there and no slouch on hit ups or linebreaks.

Cons - was poor under the highball in one game at the end of 2013, seemed hampered by injury last year.

wolie best go forward winger turn it up
hiku scored 20 tries last year playing outside jamie lyon too, the class and the try creating is in the skill of the centres, all we need is a winger who can catch a ball and tackle.

1 more season of reserves and wolfie can reminisce about a nrl career with his brother

wolie best go forward winger turn it up
hiku scored 20 tries last year playing outside jamie lyon too, the class and the try creating is in the skill of the centres, all we need is a winger who can catch a ball and tackle.

1 more season of reserves and wolfie can reminisce about a nrl career with his brother
Yes, agree. Try scoring for a winger is just an ability these days to catch and stay in bounds while putting the ball down. You don't need to be athletic or a flyer because Hiku is neither.

Just give me a winger that contests bombs and doesn't **** himself while letting it bounce with no idea what to do every damn time (AKA Wolfie)

Hiku will be guaranteed on one wing. I think Gutherson is on track to grab the other. I don't think Mason will start - Lawrence & Starling if both are fit.

For this year I think it's going to be Tafua And Hiku (Gutherson as back up) Hiku and Gutherson have been earmarked as future centres, so next year Matai exits and Hiku in, and Gutherson to the wing. The following year Jamie retires and the transformation will be complete....with Tom T shadowing Brett Stewart.

The wings are difficult to pick. Hiku is better defensively at fullback than on the wing. Gutherson struggles to tackle. wolfman and tafua struggle with bombs/cross field kicks. Blair is probably the best option for one wing. Because he can tackle isn't slow and is tall to contest kicks.

I didn't watch any of the 9's so can someone let me know how Mateo went ?? I copped some ribbing from mates saying he looked like he has been in a good paddock and didn't look particularly enthusiastic.I know it was only the 9's but it was a chance for him to impress. How did he go in the Sharks trial ? reports I read said that when both sides fielded full strength teams we were overshadowed by the Sharks. Their pack were missing Gallen, Lewis and Fifita so that's a worry if true. Not that trial form is the end of the world and we aren't privy to what Tooves' KPI's are for those type of games, but it is a chance for some of these guys to push for selection so you do expect some level of commitment.

I'm not convinced Mateo is a walk up start to a the run on side as many obviously do. But I'm basing that on history not current form as I haven't watched any footy for 2015 yet. Our backrow stocks are fairly healthy so he will need to be delivering something worthwhile to force a spot in the 17.

'Potato' is probably going to be our X-Factor. He has abundant ability but can look disinterested. The last player we had like this was She-Rex, who polarised opinions.
Gee I hope 'Potato' doesn't disappoint like him.

I didn't watch any of the 9's so can someone let me know how Mateo went ?? I copped some ribbing from mates saying he looked like he has been in a good paddock and didn't look particularly enthusiastic.I know it was only the 9's but it was a chance for him to impress. How did he go in the Sharks trial ? reports I read said that when both sides fielded full strength teams we were overshadowed by the Sharks. Their pack were missing Gallen, Lewis and Fifita so that's a worry if true. Not that trial form is the end of the world and we aren't privy to what Tooves' KPI's are for those type of games, but it is a chance for some of these guys to push for selection so you do expect some level of commitment.

I'm not convinced Mateo is a walk up start to a the run on side as many obviously do. But I'm basing that on history not current form as I haven't watched any footy for 2015 yet. Our backrow stocks are fairly healthy so he will need to be delivering something worthwhile to force a spot in the 17.

He was warming up on Saturday right in front of me and I was worried because as everyone was going through their dynamic stretch routine he was just walking around. Then he was parked out wide doing dribs and drabs, nothing special, then out of nowhere threw a wicked dummy that faked out the whole Sharks backline, got wrapped up and popped a great offload for a try.

Was talking a lot out there though.

As for his size, yeah I've seen him around Narrabeen - big/massive unit. Not all muscle...

He was warming up on Saturday right in front of me and I was worried because as everyone was going through their dynamic stretch routine he was just walking around. Then he was parked out wide doing dribs and drabs, nothing special, then out of nowhere threw a wicked dummy that faked out the whole Sharks backline, got wrapped up and popped a great offload for a try.

Was talking a lot out there though.

As for his size, yeah I've seen him around Narrabeen - big/massive unit. Not all muscle...
You mean his shape is a bit like Gifty, solid and not all muscle.

If Phill Blake was Chip and Chase then Mateo is Dummy and Dismantle the Defence . Thats your answer feathered friend

1 B Stewart
2 J Taufua / C Blair
3 J Lyon
4 S Matai
5 P Hiku
6 Foran
7 DCE
8 J Starling
9 Ballin
10 Lawrence
11 T Symonds
12 F Mateo
13 J Buhrer

14 W Mason
15 L Burguess
16 JSL
17 J Horo

Hodges in the 17....solid in defence & adds that zip to unsettle defence...when you pay big bucks for halves who dictate the right & left having that explosive spear in the ruck in the modern game is invaluable. Ballin is 1 of the best 9's in the game but the opportunity to change the tempo in todays game starts here, by seasons end will influence many Manly victories

What do we think about Taufua playing off the bench?

I assume you mean as a forward and not as reserve winger ?? Waste of a bench spot IMO. Horhay isn't a backrower so why the obsession with trying to turn him into one ? Just because the guy makes some hard yards out of dummy half in our own 20m or clocks up 200+ metres out wide doesn't mean he is going to relish straight hit ups into the teeth of the opposition pack , not to mention all the extra defensive workload. I've seen quite a few posters suggesting Horhay would be some sort of revelation off the bench, I don't see it. What is this theory based on ??

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2