Raudonikis' comments about Mason

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter

But threatening strike action to hurt Origin angered Tom Raudonikis, NSW's first Origin captain.

"Who does Willie Mason think he is?" Raudonikis said.

"State of Origin is our masterpiece. Guys like Wally Lewis, 'Alfie' Langer and Ricky Stuart helped build Origin to what it is today.

"It seems all the players want these days is more money. It all comes down to greed - they're all big heads. What about the fans, what about the game? What Willie said was disgraceful. Shocking. He should put a sock in it."

I think he would make the team on a name basis. Which seems to be the norm in rep sides these days.

obviously brain size isnt in proportion to the size of his body. The guy has a brain of a peanut.

While i hate Mason as much as the next guy, and think he's WAY too dumb to captain ANY team, a point he was trying to make was that he was worrying about the fringe players who are getting paid next to nothing and are finding it difficult to get by.

While i hate Mason as much as the next guy, and think he's WAY too dumb to captain ANY team, a point he was trying to make was that he was worrying about the fringe players who are getting paid next to nothing and are finding it difficult to get by.

I do not believe mason has made those comments to either a) help the cause of the fringe player.....or b) directly benefit himself from any pay packet increase.

I do however believe that it has a lot more to do with media notoriety and the flow on effects/benefits to him.

does anyone really think that any salary cap increase would go to the nevilles in reggies, they would simply be added to the top of the big boys at the top end, the big end salaries are the reason the little fellas dont get much out of the cap.

Anyone who thinks Mason is in it for the little guy is dreaming..

Well he should take a pay cut. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As if Willie will do that.

Didnt the minimum wage go from 37500 up to 50,000 not including match payments last year or this year?

50 Grand for a 18-20 year old is plenty.

I'd f*cken take it!

But how much is it for someone like Glenn Hall haha.

Then again, he should still be living off the money Souths threw at him....

the average across australia is about 58,000 and at 50,000 you can pay off a mortgage if the missus earns a bit as well.

[quote author=CliffyIsGod]
50 Grand for a 18-20 year old is plenty.

Agreed. But maybe not for a fringe 1st grade player in his late 20's with a family trying to pay off a mortgage
[/quote]

i doubt there are many late 20s / fringe first graders, most successful clubs trip that deadwood.

the average across australia is about 58,000 and at 50,000 you can pay off a mortgage if the missus earns a bit as well.

And a footballer in that bracket and age would not be expected to "work" a 40 hour week either. Plenty of opportunity for them to earn a bit on the side to top themselves up to the $80k mark.

threatening to strike during origin is bloody stupid however
i think he has apoint look at all the moeny coming in to the game and Where is it going????

News keep taking their slice of the pie to make up for money they lost gaining control of the game during super league and tbh i find that down right obscene.

Thats before u talk about how cheap fox gets rights to our game, a game that rates better than Gayfl but doesnt get anywhere near as much for broadcast rights.

average Australian wage is 63,000.

Fluff, I thought $58K was a bit high (more like mid to high 40's) so I checked it out on the ABS website & you are spot on. The average weekly wage at Nov-06 was $1,105.70 or $57,496 p.a.

Andrew Johns was on the football show and he said if you want players to stop defecting to Union you have to up the price your paying representative players. One day later and Mason is calling a strike to the game for a pay rise to... other players?

What Johns says makes no sense. What Mason is trying to get is a little bit more money for coke.

Next thing will be "How come the fringe players are getting that much, we want more". Its all a rort to get more money and will end up ruining the quality of our comp.

Who here wouldn't play origin football for $12,500 a game?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4