Rainbows,rubgy league, Roberts, religion...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The issue of whether or not to challenge homophobia in male sports and other ultra-macho spaces is not going away, but doesn’t all need to be in the Manly jersey threads, although some credit to Manly for (clumsily) putting it out there.

So here is a general thread named after a bloke whose bravery becomes even more legendary with every passing decade of hate.

This one - story about an exhibition that charts the history of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people in Australia's armed forces.

"Over several days, our staff have received — and been subject to — sustained abuse and, in some cases, threats," (Lee) said in a statement.
"We have seen something of what members of the LGBTIQ+ community experience every day. It is hateful."

This is astonishing, I guess the organisers forgot to consult with the public in advance. Who could be sending all the sustained abuse and threats? Though if some of them are doing it from religious conviction, I guess that is OK, they must have really strong beliefs that we should all honour and respect!

Richard Meinertzhagen reckoned most soldiers were gay..... apart from him of course.
Meinertzhagen knew no half measures. He was logical, an idealist of the deepest, and so possessed by his convictions that he was willing to harness evil to the chariot of good. He was a strategist, a geographer, and a silent laughing masterful man; who took as blithe a pleasure in deceiving his enemy (or his friend) by some unscrupulous jest, as in spattering the brains of a cornered mob of Germans one by one with his African knob-kerri. His instincts were abetted by an immensely powerful body and a savage brain....
— T. E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom, 1926

Last edited:
The issue of whether or not to challenge homophobia in male sports and other ultra-macho spaces is not going away, but doesn’t all need to be in the Manly jersey threads, although some credit to Manly for (clumsily) putting it out there.

So here is a general thread named after a bloke whose bravery becomes even more legendary with every passing decade of hate.

This one - story about an exhibition that charts the history of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people in Australia's armed forces.

"Over several days, our staff have received — and been subject to — sustained abuse and, in some cases, threats," (Lee) said in a statement.
"We have seen something of what members of the LGBTIQ+ community experience every day. It is hateful."

This is astonishing, I guess the organisers forgot to consult with the public in advance. Who could be sending all the sustained abuse and threats? Though if some of them are doing it from religious conviction, I guess that is OK, they must have really strong beliefs that we should all honour and respect!

The issue is we should be celebrating all who risked their lives to defend others not specifics.

We are all humans with varying ideals, beliefs, sexualities, politics, race, backgrounds, individual struggles etc,etc, you go down this path of promoting or highlighting one you then diminish and distract from the core about what the site is about and invariably people will feel left out.

Bill Maher did a great comedy piece on the way many feel about being exhausted by the agenda called “along for the pride”, the promotion is coming across as selfish and all about “them them them” it needs to be toned down big time.

The issue is we should be celebrating all who risked their lives to defend others not specifics
But don't you think we already do celebrate all who risked their life to defend others - but in the case of LGBTI people, only on the condition they're not open about their sexuality?

TC you said yourself in another thread that no-one would choose to be gay or bi sexual knowing the struggles they would have to overcome. Those 'struggles' are only down to being treated worse because of their sexuality. This thread started with a report that staff at the Shrine of Remembrance have been subjected to sustained abuse and threats because of a proposed exhibit about the contribution LGBTI folks have made to the armed services.

No-one is trying to raise them above others. So often we hear stuff about 'this is what our soldiers fought for, freedom of speech, or thought, or something, ect etc etc' yet these folks who have served get shunned or worse, merely for who they are.

So the idea of pride matches or marches or campaigns is to shine a light on the unfairness of that discrimination, so they might become equally as accepted and as welcome as anyone else. Not more accepted and welcome.

But don't you think we already do celebrate all who risked their life to defend others - but in the case of LGBTI people, only on the condition they're not open about their sexuality?

TC you said yourself in another thread that no-one would choose to be gay or bi sexual knowing the struggles they would have to overcome. Those 'struggles' are only down to being treated worse because of their sexuality. This thread started with a report that staff at the Shrine of Remembrance have been subjected to sustained abuse and threats because of a proposed exhibit about the contribution LGBTI folks have made to the armed services.

No-one is trying to raise them above others. So often we hear stuff about 'this is what our soldiers fought for, freedom of speech, or thought, or something, ect etc etc' yet these folks who have served get shunned or worse, merely for who they are.

So the idea of pride matches or marches or campaigns is to shine a light on the unfairness of that discrimination, so they might become equally as accepted and as welcome as anyone else. Not more accepted and welcome.
These struggles are not solely about acceptance it is also the internal struggles about their sexuality and self hatred for being different or in a minority.(nothing I can do about the last two)

Marches and campaigns are fine when the people who want to get involved or associated with them have the “choice” to do so. If people have the choice then those who choose not to participate can do so and should not be attacked in the same way that those who choose to participate and promote to fairly and safely make their points or issues known.

Why would you “try” to offend me or the Autism spectrum by associating me with it just because I chose to be brutally honest about how I feel about gay and bisexual men. It’s purely because I don’t like or gel with their personality traits or want male friendships that might involve the other not being a friend to me in the most honest uncomplicated manner, I don’t care what is done in their bedrooms.

In general I don’t like any public displays of affection because i feel it is disrespectful in many ways straight or gay.(don’t go down the line of “this is an Autistic trait you just showed it”) I have no issue with showing affection behind closed doors.

I was being brutally honest not because I wanted to offend or lacking the ability to read social cues,( I knew it probably would offend)but my thinking was that being brutally honest offered more to the discussion than just towing the typical safe replies line that get nowhere and go round and round in circles.

Businesses should stay out of Politics,Religion and Sexuality and just run businesses plain and simple, this is what I’m fighting for.

Govt’s, Education and Parenting is where these issues require a shining light, businesses are inclusive by the very nature of being run by the law.

Homophobia is so loosely used to describe anyone who is “uncomfortable”, I most certainly don’t fear gay people, worked with gay people and have no issue in the future to work alongside gays, I just choose not to befriend or associate with such people.(freedom of choice)

I don’t believe in depression and if someone keeps harping on about “suffering depression” I won’t befriend or associate with them also, am I now a depressionophobe. This most certainly doesn’t mean if they asked for my help or a shoulder to cry on that I wouldn’t help(I have enough proof in my life to show this is the case and these people know where I stand in regards to depression)

"Section 377A of Singapore's Penal Code was promulgated in 1938 by the British colonial government when Singapore was a British colony" (gotta love those colonising Brits)

'(CNN)Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Sunday said the country will repeal the colonial-era Section 377A of Singapore's Penal Code, thereby decriminalizing gay sex in Singapore, but added that same-sex marriage will continue to be illegal in the city-state.
"Sex between consenting men should not be criminalized. There is no justification to prosecute people for it, nor to make it a crime," he said at his annual policy address, the National Day Rally, carried live on television.
"I believe (repeal) is the right thing to do, and something that most Singaporeans will now accept. This will bring the law into line with current social mores, and I hope, provide some relief to gay Singaporeans," said the Prime Minister.'

Last edited:
(gotta love those colonising Brits)

Yep ... one small Island forged the greatest Empire in human history .... conquered 3/4 of the known world ... The sun never set on the Empire .. my forefathers at the front .. proud and strong ..

But damn it ... I wish I hadn't been born British .... it would have so much better to be a member of a defeated race ... but then I couldn't follow the group think leftie guilt trip ...

Or maybe they should have done nothing and just let Spain, France, Portugal, Holland et al colonise the world unopposed ... so many of their former colonies are just wonderful ...

PSS ... Is there no end to lefty revisionism ...

Yep ... one small Island forged the greatest Empire in human history .... conquered 3/4 of the known world ... The sun never set on the Empire .. my forefathers at the front .. proud and strong ..

But damn it ... I wish I hadn't been born British .... it would have so much better to be a member of a defeated race ... but then I couldn't follow the group think leftie guilt trip ...

Or maybe they should have done nothing and just let Spain, France, Portugal, Holland et al colonise the world unopposed ... so many of their former colonies are just wonderful ...

PSS ... Is there no end to lefty revisionism ...
Hi Woodsie. Wow. Just wondering. Your obsession with using ‘leftie this’ and ‘leftie that’ as a general putdown to nearly everything I post… what is that about?

I mean I know what putdowns are about, the easy form of online bullying, great for harassing people into silence. But why do you want to harass anyone here into silence?

And why leftie? Commie? Do you think somehow using those words as putdowns automatically discredits whatever I've said?

Anyway . It would be good if can you at least answer this question in an intelligent way, without putdowns, as you are surely capable of:

"We should avoid ever referring to any negative aspects of British colonialism because..."

Thanks in advance.

Anyway . It would be good if can you at least answer this question in an intelligent way, without putdowns, as you are surely capable of:

"We should avoid ever referring to any negative aspects of British colonialism because..."

You mean other that raising the topic of it in a thread titled "Ian Roberts" and discussing player's refusal to wear a Rainbow pride jersey ... nah ... what Singapore does and historical Colonialism is crucial to the discussion ....

Did you even look at the post? It was a news item about Singapore de-criminalising gay sex. Hence relevant to Ian Roberts crusade against persecution/discrimination against gays

The 1st line about how gay sex was illegal due to a law "promulgated in 1938 by the British colonial government when Singapore was a British colony" was taken direct from that article. Sorry it wasn't in quotation marks, but that is the relevance.

now edited to make that clearer

Did you even look at the post? It was a news item about Singapore de-criminalising gay sex. Hence relevant to Ian Roberts crusade against persecution/discrimination against gays

The 1st line about how gay sex was illegal due to a law "promulgated in 1938 by the British colonial government when Singapore was a British colony" was taken direct from that article. Sorry it wasn't in quotation marks, but that is the relevance.

now edited to make that clearer

How is it relevant .... why not tell us what the laws/treatment re Gay sex are in Russia ... a country never colonised by the British ..

Or maybe add that Britain decriminalised gay sex 55 years ago .... maybe if Singapore was still a British colony they would have gotten around to it much sooner ...

How is it relevant
I already told you, it was in the article and the author thought the historical background may be relevant to how those laws came to exist. Because it always is.
You're free to infer that what happens in other parts of the world has nothing to do with us, though that's plainly incorrect on just about every level. But if that's your belief then why even bother to comment on an article about Singapore?

Ah yes, because you detected an attitude of less than reverence and eternal gratitude for the glorious achievements of the British empire. Outrageous. Sacrilegious! No wonder you had to lash out in defence of British greatness and superiority.

I already told you, it was in the article and the author thought the historical background may be relevant to how those laws came to exist. Because it always is.
You're free to infer that what happens in other parts of the world has nothing to do with us, though that's plainly incorrect on just about every level. But if that's your belief then why even bother to comment on an article about Singapore?

Ah yes, because you detected an attitude of less than reverence and eternal gratitude for the glorious achievements of the British empire. Outrageous. Sacrilegious! No wonder you had to lash out in defence of British greatness and superiority.

Seriously .. you took an unexpected opportunity to impress your caucus masters with what you thought was a cheap
shot at our Glorious British heritage ...

Only to be brought up short by the realization that had Singapore remained under a british influence ... they may have decriminalized gay sex 55 years ealier like London did.

... a cheap shot at our Glorious British heritage ...

Only to be brought up short by the realization that had Singapore remained under a british influence ... they may have decriminalized gay sex 55 years ealier like London did.

Just in case you never bothered to click the link, this is the article, and for the umpteenth time the reference to the colonial era was not my idea, it's in the heading of the article.

1661221180423.png

And yes specifically British colonialism has been a topic here of late, in regards to the superior white missionaries saving what they saw as the backwards and savage peoples of the world, in this case in the Pacific, by spreading their version of some gospel. Which, via a circuitous route, has ended up screwing Manly's season, and possibly next season and beyond.

But you know all that already.

Just in case you never bothered to click the link, this is the article, and for the umpteenth time the reference to the colonial era was not my idea, it's in the heading of the article.

View attachment 22041

And yes specifically British colonialism has been a topic here of late, in regards to the superior white missionaries saving what they saw as the backwards and savage peoples of the world, in this case in the Pacific, by spreading their version of some gospel. Which, via a circuitous route, has ended up screwing Manly's season, and possibly next season and beyond.

But you know all that already.

Good grief ... it was all the Roman's fault...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4