Rainbow Jersey Press Conference

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Never thought I’d be talking about this on this forum, but I had to have my say on this matter as a gay life-long Manly supporter.

The situation as a whole is regrettable and it does hurt, when your heroes reject you as a person, it’s certainly deflating.

However, I respect the decision of the players and their faith. They should never have been forced into this situation and I hope the club and sport as a whole learns a lesson from this bungle.

The true message should be about treating all people equally, according to their character and not by ideologues or group identities.

I respect the players decision and hope they receive the same level of tolerance the rainbow crowd would like for themselves.

I respect them as people and will be cheering them on when they are back on the field in the Maroon and White!

I’d love to hear them clarify the motivation behind their stance; regardless I respect them and I really hope despite a difference of opinion they respect me also.

Well said mate ... I don't agree with the players views, but I do believe they have the right to hold them ... anything else is simply totalitarianism.

And as you said in other words ... blaming or marginalising them does nothing to advance the cause of an inclusive atmosphere ....

Very good discussion across the board.

Being disappointed in their decision is okay, but there are quite a few hoping for them to never pull a maroon and white jersey on ever again.

Some perspective.

I was born and raised in the rugby league heartland of western Sydney so I get Pacifika idealogy. I can understand the torment that has most probably gone through most of these guys minds in sticking with their decision. Church and family are first and foremost.

As I said it’s a decision to be ostracised by manly supporters and rugby league supporters as a whole for as long as their playing career spans, or ostracised for a lifetime by family members and their faith.

I have no doubt when these boys pull on the manly jersey there is nothing but pride in representing this great club. So I’m just asking for a fair few of you not to turn your backs on them.

Mate ... don't take the mugs seriously ... some of the people screaming the loudest would also boo Jesus if he dropped the ball or gave away a set re-start ...

And more often than not the outspoken minority nutters on here prove to be well out of step with the majority of supporters in suburbia ...

Very impressive argument. But I don’t think anyone can deduce these matters or reality in this kind of way.
Religion and it’s interpretation is very personal and subjective and one can’t objectively lay it all out and impose on people how it can be interpreted. Life doesn’t work that way! Well at least from what I have experienced.
I love how the Simpsons over the years have tackled religion more specifically Christianity. Here is an interesting quote:

Reverend Lovejoy: God has never given up on anyone.

Ned Flanders: What about Sodom and Gomorrah?

Reverend Lovejoy: He lovingly destroyed them.

Christianity via its interpretations can be very hypocritical and intolerant to say the least on the other hand look at some of the organisations that have come from it and the good / love that it has produced. e.g. the salvos, world vision etc..
Yeah agree its a complex poisoned chalice that has opened up some pretty opinionated viewpoints.

I'm inclined to leave it where it is now, offence can be very easily taken where none is intended on this topic.

Just managed to catch up with the interview. Kudos and respects to Des and DCE. We are fortunate to have a coach and captain who can represent the club at that moment with eloquence and dignity. Hopefully they have helped to minimise the damage to all parties.

Maybe if the NRL is really serious about bringing about change they could get Macklemore to do the pre-game entertainment at next years International Round. (Tonga vs Samoa). It couldn't get anymore ridiculous, so worth a shot. Most probably only our marketing department could come up with such a concept.

Bizarre that an individual's post would be classified as the thoughts of 'so many people' and second that /sarc at the end didn't give away the intent of the post.

However seeing as you want to explore the unrelated nature of taking a stand on 'Religious grounds' - which has been unquestionably touted as the motivation here by Media and players alike - lets confer with some reality on this.

Does the Bible explicity say Homosexuality is a sin? No.
Does the Bible explicitly say Gambling is a sin? No.

So neither are categorically outlined as sinful by the tenet of Christian faith.

OK. So....what about the messaging in modern-day Chsristian Religious teachings?

On Homosexuality:
The Bible clearly teaches that marriage is the exclusive and lifelong union of one man and one woman. Genesis 2 records that marriage was instituted by God from the very beginning and hard-wired into human society.
Same-sex marriage - The Christian Institute

OK - Gay Marriage is not suppported - not because it is explicitly disendorsed, but because Marriage is classified as between a Man and Woman - meaning variations outside this are assumed to be against God's will.

Most Christian churches hold the position that you should 'Love the sinner, but hate the sin'. This is generally interpreted to mean that Christians should show love and compassion to homosexuals, but that homosexuals should not engage in sexual activity. This is because most churches teach that sex should only happen within marriage, which the Church defines as being between a man and a woman.
What does Christianity say about homosexuality? - Human sexuality and relationships - GCSE Religious Studies Revision - BBC Bitesize

See also:
Homosexuality: Not a Sin, Not a Sickness Part II "What The Bible Does and Does Not Say..." | Religious Institute
Homosexuality
https://www.kingswood.edu/wp-content/uploads/A-Biblical-Response-to-Homosexuality-Part-2.pdf

On Gambling:
Although the Bible does not discuss gambling in detail, we can discern from Bible principles that God views gambling as a sin.—Ephesians 5:17. *
See Also:

There is some ambiguity around both topics - which are nuanced and complex in their own ways. However there is a LOT more debate and diversion around the position of Homosexuality in the Christian faith than there is to Gambling - which is almost universally seen as a worship of Money rather than God, and viewed inherently negatively on most Christian resources I consulted.

So hate to say it, but Gambling should actually present more of a difinitive protest on 'Religious grounds' - if that is indeed the real reason behind this boycott. The Christian teachings are far more united on the sinfulness of Gambling over straight Homosexuality (and this is dimishing the Pride intent - which is about WAAAY more than simple homosexuality alone).

So are the issues 'Totally unrelated?' Maybe - but not on the basis of 'Religious Grounds' mate. That's the hill being chosen to fight on here - so maybe get past the false equivalence and see how 'So many people' might be reading between the lines a bit here on the selectiveness of this protest.
Sarcasm or not you were clearly raising the issue.
"So many people" was not referring to you specifically. Spend some time reading what people are saying on social media and judge for yourself what rises to the level of "so many". I don't fully agree or disagree with your analysis after that but I'm not writing an essay on a footy forum so I'll let that one go through to the keeper.

I've seen and heard the term 'lack of consultation' widely blamed in the media. Well how much consultation does anyone think it would have taken to get these players to wear the jersey?

They evidently not only disagree with having a maroon jersey with a few rainbow stripes, but refuse to do their job for an entire 80 minutes (!) in it, and cannot be convinced otherwise.

So I would suggest that any consultation on the matter would have just led to the entire concept being a non-starter, or the can being kicked down the road indefinitely.
Or a workable alternative found...

Never thought I’d be talking about this on this forum, but I had to have my say on this matter as a gay life-long Manly supporter.

The situation as a whole is regrettable and it does hurt, when your heroes reject you as a person, it’s certainly deflating.

However, I respect the decision of the players and their faith. They should never have been forced into this situation and I hope the club and sport as a whole learns a lesson from this bungle.

The true message should be about treating all people equally, according to their character and not by ideologues or group identities.

I respect the players decision and hope they receive the same level of tolerance the rainbow crowd would like for themselves.

I respect them as people and will be cheering them on when they are back on the field in the Maroon and White!

I’d love to hear them clarify the motivation behind their stance; regardless I respect them and I really hope despite a difference of opinion they respect me also.
Well said

I am sure that like me you all noticed Trent Robinson taking the easy points on offer by talking about how Easts had discussed the Pride Jersey issue, and I think I am right to recall he reckoned they supported it (I didn't try to memorise his comments as I was irritated by them but I think I am right). I await their plans with interest........

I am sure that like me you all noticed Trent Robinson taking the easy points on offer by talking about how Easts had discussed the Pride Jersey issue, and I think I am right to recall he reckoned they supported it (I didn't try to memorise his comments as I was irritated by them but I think I am right). I await their plans with interest........
TBH, I’m happy to hear his comments (even if he was taking the easy two). It’s further voices of support for future inclusion efforts.

TBH, I’m happy to hear his comments (even if he was taking the easy two). It’s further voices of support for future inclusion efforts.
Likely you are right HK_Eagle I was feeling quite bitter when I wrote the last. It would be good if some form of "Pride" Jersey could be done that would make everyone feel good rather than bad, if any club can do it that is likely Easts.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4