Pre-Game Raiders v Manly [Round 23, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

18 19
Suncorp Stadium
20 Aug 2021 06:00 PM

Team Lists

manly al

First Grader
Have to expect the Raiders to offer a bit more in attack then the Eels did last weekend so obviously will have to be switched on defensively . Not too sure just how well the Raiders can play at their best , went through a rough patch early to mid season but certainly have still got a fairly solid line up on paper . Mostly seem to have fairly competitive games against the Raiders for some time now , confident that if Manly 's defence is up to par and with good completion rates , have the attack and attacking options to finish ahead of them .Surely with a top 4 position beckoning , should be enough incentive to be right on their game .

manly al

First Grader
I know it's nice for Queensland people do be able to see our team, but geez, do ya have to rub it in? We're struggling down here!
Guess that one saving grace is at least the comp is still continuing and the opportunity to still look forward to and watch Manly games in some format . Would be pretty grim [ well i would assume ] with lock downs and no Manly games . Sympathize with any lock down situation , still had a QLD state wide lock down for a couple of weeks in March or so last year but hardly affected my location with plenty of open areas and not too far from the coast . Bit more restrictive in the suburbs no doubt but you would be not that far from beaches so guess that would be some consolation or are they subject to restriction also with only essential travel .

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Not too sure just how well the Raiders can play at their best
Before season kicked off they were widely tipped as grand finalists.
Wighton showed some signs of life last week but we should clearly have their measure, with or without Tom.
It will be quite a tough game though. I noticed that last week the Eels tried a second half revival but it never got off the ground due to about 5 unforced errors in a row. We ran away with it again but they were down to 11 men!
Anyway I expect a closer game than the Eels but Manly to win.

Eagle 1

First Grader
Big misses for them are Starling and Harawira-Naera who is a very handy attacking forward. Shame the small speed bump (Croker) isn't playing, but I guess you can't have everything.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Have to expect the Raiders to offer a bit more in attack then the Eels did last weekend so obviously will have to be switched on defensively . Not too sure just how well the Raiders can play at their best , went through a rough patch early to mid season but certainly have still got a fairly solid line up on paper . Mostly seem to have fairly competitive games against the Raiders for some time now , confident that if Manly 's defence is up to par and with good completion rates , have the attack and attacking options to finish ahead of them .Surely with a top 4 position beckoning , should be enough incentive to be right on their game .
Personally, I don't think they have much attack. A makeshift 1 without a passing game, a 5/8 with a limited skill-set and a 7 that would be playing NSW Cup had Williams not left the club. All they really offer is braun. They have powerful forwards and a creative dummy half. Everything happens around the ruck, even if they score on an edge, it starts at the ruck with the big fowards (Tapine, Papali'i, etc.). If you shut their middle down, they have nothing whatsoever to offer.

In saying that, it's easier said than done and our middle is probably our biggest weakness and that is why we seem to struggle against the Raiders. Even if we win, it's a struggle. If Tom plays, I think we have attack to trouble them and they might get their 16-20 points through our middle but we'll get 30+.

If Tom doesn't play, we could end up in a scrap like last time and they are desperate for a place in the 8. It'll be one hell of a contest.

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Big misses for them are Starling and Harawira-Naera who is a very handy attacking forward. Shame the small speed bump (Croker) isn't playing, but I guess you can't have everything.
They might miss Croker's kicking ... and he does back up pretty well ... I don't get the hate for him ... his record is worthy of some respect .. imho

Eagle 1

First Grader
Wighton showed some signs of life last week but we should clearly have their measure, with or without Tom.
It will be quite a tough game though. I noticed that last week the Eels tried a second half revival but it never got off the ground due to about 5 unforced errors in a row. We ran away with it again but they were down to 11 men!
Last time we played them, they had a mountain of possession they really should of put 50 on us, and with no Jake injured, DCE and Tommy also, due to SOO. This time it's going to be different, we only need an even share of possession to be all to much for them.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Apart from the Storm game where he still set up numerous attacking opportunities we failed to cash in on, the form of Turbo reminds me of that dominant kid in the U'14's that single handedly destroys the opposition....difference is - this is NRL level and even SOO level !!

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Apart from the Storm game where he still set up numerous attacking opportunities we failed to cash in on, the form of Turbo reminds me of that dominant kid in the U'14's that single handedly destroys the opposition....difference is - this is NRL level and even SOO level !!
Totally. It's the kid that is bigger, faster and stronger than everyone else on the field.

In saying that, I thought he was a victim of his own form in the Storm match. He actually had a really good game (aside from the bomb he dropped). All the great players come back to the field somewhat against the best opposition. Of course they look better playing the also-rans. He still set up two tries against Melbourne and assisted in putting players in space down edges. If another fullback had his game against the Storm, the commentators would have spoke about the player 'stood up on the big stage'. Alas, it was Tom and the standard he has set now requires multiple tries, line breaks, line break assists, try assists, try saving tackles, you name it!

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As long as we get a fair go from the officials and respect the football we.should be good enough. We should have been good enough last time against the Raiders. I’d rather play them at Suncorp than GIO.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I reckon Manly by plenty...
Last game vs Raiders it was not just Tom out , but DCE and others....and copped terrible calls, which we aided with lack of energy, if you don't compete hard, you will generally lose most calls and those 6 agains.
Totally agree with Snakes appraisal on the middle, where the Pommy 9 is clearly their centrepiece and the big blokes, namely Papalli and Tapine are the only real creators of attacking challenges by creating momentum on the Manly defence and MUST be shut down or it will be a longer afternoon than needed.
Regardless Manly will either win by a 30-40 margin, or it will be a higher scoring game and still a 40 - 28 Win if Manly allow Raiders to control that middle 3rd.
I expect "at least" 3 tries between Suli and Garrick...

StuBoot

Bencher
Wighton tends to play the left side more so I'd like to think that Guac and Harper can keep him in check, also with Saab taking that intercept v the Storm it puts the long over the top pass on notice.
Raiders know if they can jag a win here they're still in the hunt for the 8, lose and it's pretty much curtains and surely Williams has already played his best against us in Rd 1

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16