Raiders looking at Gutherson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
That's good then.

Agree with @Bearfax too. But all's fair in love and footy, AND aren't we seeing that right now, from a few different angles!

That back-line Bearfax nominates above, is really taking shape and shows we have a bright future, as always.

Just hope we can look after and keep these kids.

I wonder how many "potential" superstars have moved clubs for the so called "greener pastures" and haven't been actually coached to their evolving abilities?

This question is not specifically about Gutho, but more about local juniors. Developing locals like 2v, Beaver, Watmough give us as fans a very real feel good warm tummy and becomes the stuff of legends. And these 3 were all fantastic.

But as fans would you be content with a 7/10 local over a 9/10 import?

Given how hard some of us mark score cards I think not.

Bearfax said:
A few points worth noting. Some have said we take from other clubs so we should expect it when others take ours. In a fair world where junior resources are equal, that is justified and the reality is it works that way. But Manly has a far smaller demographic than Parramatta and Canberra and therefore far fewer juniors to choose from. Some clubs have a glut of talent and that's why they lose so many juniors to other clubs. Manly doesn't. Therefore, when a Gutherson or Trbojevic comes along, Manly need to be especially diligent in holding onto them. We don't have the luxury of picking and choosing from our junior ranks unless we have imported.

Further, regarding the Telegraph item suggested Hiku will be Manly's future full back. Obviously the writer knows little about Manly's juniors. Hiku is destined for the centre and will probably replace Lyon when he calls it a day. Gutherson will be initially full back when Stewart retires, but will also probably move to the centre when young Trbojevic comes of age. I suspect Manly's future backline in a couple of years, if they can keep them, will be;

Trbojevic
Taufua
Gutherson
Hiku
?
Foran
Cherry-Evans

Gutherson plays like Brett Stewart as a second 5/8 and could be very effective inside Taufua.

Trbojevic
Taufua
Hiku
Hoppa
Gutherson
Foran
DCE

Would be nice. In about 3 or 4 years time that is. We've got a lot more great footy to come from Matai and Lyon yet.

Let's face it, It's often a question of timing for local juniors. You have to progress up through the levels, and your star has to be shining just when the glow of the established 1st grade star is dimming. It may be that Gutho goes elsewhere before he gets to 'replace' Snake. It may be that Hiku, Satini do not get the right opportunities @ Manly, because Skivvy and Killer are not ready to retire.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Let's face it, It's often a question of timing for local juniors. You have to progress up through the levels, and your star has to be shining just when the glow of the established 1st grade star is dimming. It may be that Gutho goes elsewhere before he gets to 'replace' Snake. It may be that Hiku, Satini do not get the right opportunities @ Manly, because Skivvy and Killer are not ready to retire.

Hiku just re signed for three years.

I've read some players have had clauses written into their contracts stipulating that a certain coach must remain in place or they can walk - what would you write in that clause for a new gig at Canberra?:-/

EaglesDontTweet said:
I've read some players have had clauses written into their contracts stipulating that a certain coach must remain in place or they can walk - what would you write in that clause for a new gig at Canberra?:-/
Obviously that Sticky NOT be the coach and that he can't return, like ever.

Re Hiku, glad to hear it. :)

Scary thing is that Ricky Stuart applied for the coaching job at Manly when Hasler left. The media were all over it promoting the idea as a good one for Manly. What is it with the medias judgement calls or were they just hoping he would take the job and drag Manly down.

Bearfax said:
Scary thing is that Ricky Stuart applied for the coaching job at Manly when Hasler left. The media were all over it promoting the idea as a good one for Manly. What is it with the medias judgement calls or were they just hoping he would take the job and drag Manly down.

A little from column A, and 99.999999999% from column B

Masked Eagle said:
Garts said:
The main risk to us losing someone like Gutherson would be due to his concern about getting a chance and a regular spot in 1st grade. Plenty in front of him.

Yep, young kids aren't prepared to wait 2-3 years in reserve grade even if it might be better for their careers. They'll take the first grade opportunity almost no matter where it is.

I would hope that the culture of the club sees the young kids recognise the benefits we got from not rushing the likes of Hodkinson, Foran, DCE and Buhrer into first grade, despite their obvious abilities in the lower grades. Alright, Hodkinson (JWH) got impatient for more money, but the emergence of DCE indicates that the club will survive beyond the loss of a talented youngster, or two.

Alan said:
This question is not specifically about Gutho, but more about local juniors. Developing locals like 2v, Beaver, Watmough give us as fans a very real feel good warm tummy and becomes the stuff of legends. And these 3 were all fantastic.

But as fans would you be content with a 7/10 local over a 9/10 import?

Given how hard some of us mark score cards I think not.

The salary cap means you have to often settle for the 7/10 local and get the best from him. The 9/10 import may be good for short term, but you are betting on them buying into the culture of the team, and hoping more than betting on them being long term.

Although as a bonus @Hamster Huey, Manly are making a habit of turning 7/10 imports into better players...Think BJ, Horo, Symonds, hopefully Littlejohn right now, just to name a few.
That ability to turn bargain buys into profit, so to speak, may allow us to spend a little more on a couple of our youngsters...even a calculated risk on guys like Chee Kam, too.

Of course when some prove their worth in 1sts we have to pay market value anyway - such as Hiku just recently - but we seem to be doing better than most with this juggling act.

Never under estimate the attraction to a young man, that living at Collaroy Beach has rather than say Penrith.

Our girls wear bikinis and little black dresses instead of hug boots and trackies, have all their teeth and can pronounce souths.

Disco said:
As a potential Milford replacement.

Though the Tele today states we have him signed till the end of 2015

Take it with a grain of salt but hopefully we don't lose him

Oh to replace Milford. I thought Gutherson once helped coach an under 8's team and the raiders were looking at him as coach.

manlyfan76 said:

Oh to replace Milford. I thought Gutherson once helped coach an under 8's team and the raiders were looking at him as coach.

Too early to replace the Coach. Sticky has principles. He will only allow a club to pay-out the last 18months of his contracts.

The way the Raiders are going they won't be looking at Gutherson for long because they'll probably be looking for a new coach.

HappilyManly said:
Didn't they sign Sticky for $7m for seven years :huh:
Wow, who is Sticky's agent? I've got to get his mobile number, the bloke's obviously not just a masterful negotiator, he's an absolute genius.

HappilyManly said:
Didn't they sign Sticky for $7m for seven years :huh:

Glad he is not our problem!

Surely you are making that up.

Having been told by both Easts and Cronulla, "here take a few years wages, we'd rather pay you not to turn up" sacked as Aust coach for being flogged by the Kiwi's, 2 wooden spoons at Para and walking out, and a lot of talk but zero SOO series.

And your telling me some NUMBNUTT signed this pelican for 7 YEARS!

Your bloody mad, that couldn't happen.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4