R24 MANLY NSW CUP V CRONULLA

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fairy Bower said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Doesn't Johns do any work with the lower grade halves?

Yes he does when they train together in the NRL squad. Then Willo gets hold of them at the end of the week and they go back to square 1.

I shouldn't laugh, but that's funny. Lets just hope that he isn't contracted for next season!!

Darren said:
Again it should be said, Free Willy (for good)

Agree Darren. LUKE WILLIAMSON should be sacked as coach. The players dont respect him and he hasnt got the results over the last 2 seasons with NYC & reserve grade. Time to give someone else a go.

Manly has some recruiting to do if it wants back up players for its first next year. This group have been a serious disappointment. I would also consider getting Cliff Lyons in to coach the side. He has done wonders for Naraweena

I would suggest the success of a reserve grade team is its ability to provide players for first grade not the result

You could then argue , considering the injury run we have had , it has not been the worst year

Gower, hassan, hiku, Sao, rose and some others I can think off have all made contributions to first grade

What a terrible result for the club. This team seems to have been very up and down and not sure why. As many said at start of year it looked good on paper but obviously very little heart and conviction. I mentioned it a few times but at start of the year when we played Mounties I was stunned by the lack of motivation of the team (Blake Ferguson played OzTag against us)

The great thing as mentioned is there are several guys who have stepped up into 1sts and have done well so thet has very pleasing.

Something negative to sink your teeth into Daz :)

Did you see Blake Ferguson playing Oztag v the Chooks a few weeks back ? :p

As mentioned by me and as most happily bother to miss!

The great thing as mentioned is there are several guys who have stepped up into 1sts and have done well so that has been very pleasing.

Not going to bother justifying the comment but seems okay for everyone else to speak about a 54-0 loss.

As mentioned by me and as most happily bother to miss!

The great thing as mentioned is there are several guys who have stepped up into 1sts and have done well so that has been very pleasing.

Not going to bother justifying the comment but seems okay for everyone else to speak about a 54-0 loss.

I think your last point has a lot to do with the 1st point about being up and down and a good team on paper, a lot of that paper side have spent a lot of the year in 1sts or injured

Your point is noted Isz. So far this year we have been fortunate to have those players as back up.

But next year we will be without a few of our long term soldiers like Kite, perhaps George Rose and not doubt a few others, so that those back up players may very well have to assume first grade postings. There are some good players coming through such as those you've identified and some of our local juniors. But the cupboard is otherwise bare and who is likely to be those solid back up players in future when those we now rely on are in firsts or playing elsewhere like Seage. Our U20s have few likely top class players.

If you look at Sydney City, a team that has virtually no local junior talent, they are consistently keeping a good stock of players in their lower ranks from elsewhere including from Manly. And if you look at the past decade and a half, even though they havent won many grandfinals, they have played more grandfinals since 2000 (5...Manly has 3) than any other side in the comp except for Melbourne, and we know what happened to two of Melbourne's premierships.

Part of this problem could be resolved if Manly demanded the North Shore as part of their junior stocks so that they can match the clubs with large junior resources.

I like what Manly does in bringing in 'soldiers' who offer our star backline room to do their stuff. But just as with the Australian cricket team, we are relying on a number of top of the line players like the Stewarts, Matai, Lyon, Watmough. Wolfman, Ballin who are all getting near their end times. What we'll have left (if we can hold them) is Foran, Cherry-Evans, Taufua and the hope that some of our kids will become stars. Maybe they will, but I would be more comfortable if their junior strength was a little more substantial like it was about 3-5 years ago.

A future Manly side when the current crop have retired in 3-4 years and assuming DCE moves on after 2015
1. Gutherson
2. Taufua
3. Hiku
4. ????
5. ????
6. Foran
7. Zac Nicholls
8. Jake Trbojevic
9. ????
10. Ligi Sao
11. Justin Horo
12. Tom Symonds
13. J Buhrer

14 Chee Kam
15.Josh Starling
16. Hasson
17. ???

I could not give a toss about wins or losses in the lower grades as long as we have a number of prospects coming through that are real shots in the NRL. We seem to always have that.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6