Props

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Reserve Grader
Quick quiz: How manly Manly props would make a list of the top 20 props in NRL?

I have one: Josh Aloiai.

Roosters arguably have four; Broncos have three; Storm have three; Raiders have two; Eels have two and so on.

Keppie, Sipley, Paseka, Boyle and co haven't kicked on as expected. they wouldn't make 17 in most top 8 sides.

That's where I'd be fixing roster.

Roosters arguably have four; Broncos have three; Storm have three; Raiders have two; Eels have two and so on.

Keppie, Sipley, Paseka, Boyle and co haven't kicked on as expected. they wouldn't make 17 in most top 8 sides.

When you look at it like that, I agree. I still feel there is something special about Paseka

Should this be done for every position? Might need 25 new players for the squad after everyone has their say.

Paseka has so much potential. Hes young, props dont peak til late 20's. Hopefully he can stay injury free.

Apart from Josh A, the rest...meh...

Id kill for a prop with Fisher Harris motor.

Do we have anyone capable of stepping up ?

Do we always need to look outside the club to find talent ?

It'd be nice to see some young kid come through and show real talent even though props tend to develop later.

I'm really liking the look of this young mobile Cowboys pack....they seem to breed the perfect prototype for the modern game - energetic, fast, aggressive, big motors
The bloke out injured Luki, is a super prospect and Cotter is a good example where we lack as front rowers
Totally disagree on Paseka, who is still a Big kid, but admit to expectating more in 2022 than what he has delivered
If you look at our big men, they have size over many opposition packs, but struggle to keep up with the pace of the game
Breaking down a comparison to other NRL sides I think we are down in the
Front row
Hooker
Centres not worst, likely mid field at best....Koula can potentially break into a Top 5 centre over next few years if improves a few areas and as a youngster-most likely will.

So the other 5 are shared between 10 clubs? Surely that says more about the lack of decent props in the game.

The only thing with Tent is he could drop 6-8 kilograms to make him more mobile, 120 kilograms is fairly heavy when you look at Griffin Nean who is 4cm shorter but 106 kilograms.

The others haven’t kicked on as good as they can, like the look of Tuitavake if he can get a run would add some energy.

Roosters 4????

Not sure about that though Id have to put a list together

Roosters 4????

Not sure about that though Id have to put a list together

On reflection probably not that outrageous a comment but after having a look 12 say to 25 its pretty much a muchness.

Pasekas stats are actually no bad and he passes the eye test but he only gets 38min a game. That could be because he doesn't have the motor to keep up the defensive intensity or could be tactical decisions by Des.

I tend to think the later

Thought that Tent was quite impressive in the early stages against the Eels , good yardage and involvement . Then he aggravated a knee injury again . Seemed to be the same pattern for the best part of 12 months or so now but he has gone well for a good part of the last 2 seasons or even more . Would still rate him one of Manly 's most effective forwards when he is at his best , still a problem when he tends go a bit lower tackling and falls of a bit or just misses . Nothing that can not be improved on . Really hope that Tuitavake can step up next season , seems to have the aggression and motor and Sykes does look promising , good work ethic and reasonable mobility . Not sure about young Fifita or even whether he plays more prop then 2 nd row . No idea whether whether Keppie can get back to a really good consistent level again , no reason why he shouldn 't but some indifferent form from him this season

When you look at it like that, I agree. I still feel there is something special about Paseka
Have you ever noticed how often Paseka goes of injured in the big games and usually when he's going really well. The trouble with Paseka he teases the Manly fans, he does a few knock em over skittling hit ups, and we all say, yes !! where as this been, then gets hauled off or carried off for some mystery injury or who knows...what a frustrating player !!

Jake at prop and Walker at 13 would be my fix but that's no longer an option. If we signed a genuine top 6 prop our problems would evaporate.

Everyone keeps saying that, he shows glimpses , but is largely ( well more often than not ) ineffective.
Is he though or do we often just unfairly expect the world of him cause of his physique?

Here are so stats for this year

METRES PER RUN
Paseka 9.16m
Papali'i 9.03m
RCG 9.03m
JWH 8.91
JFH 8.47

MINUTES PER TACKLE BUST
Paseka 15.5min
Taumalolo 16.9min
Haas 22.8min
AFB 38.2 min
RCG 41.8min
Paulo 43.2min
JWH 71.5min

MINUTES PER OFFLOAD
Tapine 28.4min
Paseka 29.7min
Haas 54.6min
Taumalolo 59.2min
JFH 74min
Tino 77.6min
JWH 214min

Now none of the above is implying Paseka is better than any of the above props. A) stats dont differentiate between a run on the front foot off a quick play the ball or a tough carry off you own line and B) adjusting fo minutes played can be tricky as obviously you can be more dynamic in shorter bursts.

I think the above though does show that when Paseka is on the fied he is making an impact.

I'd go as far to say if Paseka got into the odd argy bargy and roughed up the odd rookie many here would fawn over him.

Now as for the Roosters having four props in the top 20....lets compare Paseka with their old and new guard (JWH and Collins)

MINUTES
Collins 721
JWH 644
Paseka 357

MINUTES PER GAME
Collins 48
JWH 42
Paseka 32

TRIES
Paseka 2
JWH 2
Collins 0

RUN METRES PER GAME
JWH 115
Paseka 93
Collins 91

METRES PER RUN
Paseka 9.16m
JWH 8.91
Collins 8.82

LINE BREAKS
JWH 2
Paseka 1
Collins 0

TACKLE BUSTS
Paseka 23
Collins 11
JWH 9

OFFLOADS
Paseka 12
JWH 3
Collins 0

TACKLES PER GAME
Collins 30
JWH 21
Paseka 15

MISSED TACKLES
Paseka 18
JWH 26
Collins 34

ERRORS
Paseka 7
JWH 7
Collins 7

Again stats can be tricky but Paseka compares quite favourably

For mine the question is why are his minutes low....is Paseka unable to keep it up or is Dessies tactics holding him back....I tend to think the latter.

I think he could and should be at 40-45min a match

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4