Pre Game thread: Manly v Sharks [Week 1 Finals, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I will add to my above post - notice how the Tigers played. They ran side-to-side all day (particularly Nofaluma) and got absolutely nowhere. They ran the lackluster Sharks into form. We better not do the same thing.
NYEagle
We need dce to take control and let walker chime in not the other way around. I like your game plan sir lets hope its something like that ;) oh and no elliot on the wing... ever

My team for the match against the Sharks (subject to availability / injury) is a little out there so hear me out:-

L Croker
R Garrick
B Parker
M Suli
J Taufua
D Walker
DCE

AFB
A Koroisau
S Keppie
J Gosiewski
C Waddell
Jake T

RES: M Fainu, L Perrett, T Rex, H Olakau'atu

Croker > good organizer, safe hands, defensively sound, reasonable size for a fullback (5'11 / 92kg) when compared to Elliott, Papenhuyzen, Hughes etc.....who are all similar in stature. Think he'd do OK?
Our forwards are decimated right now so Waddell & Jetski to start, Perrett on the bench with Ola & T Rex. Both can cover all forwards positions & T Rex can play wing / center if need be. Not sure why but I have a weird feeling he'd be unstoppable if given the opportunity by Desmond! Perrett played well last week in a beaten team, Jetski has that mongrel to get under the Sharks players skins, Ola would be so enthusiastic to prove what he can do & T Rex unstoppable if in the right mood.............just sayin'.

Was just lurking on the Sharks forum and they are honestly so concerned due to this hoodoo we seem to have over them. I'm not sure if they realise they're actually playing the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles this weekend??? Lol

Anyways I hope the hoodoo continues, and with the belief our team has in one another, and a packed Brookie, we can do this!!!!

It is really hard to pick isn't it. I still think Elliott would be best at fullback - he has had way more experience this season in first grade in this position.

Keppie had a great debut but it does scare me a bit him starting at prop when he is usually a lock in reserve grade. But then I look at the bench and don't know who else to put in lol! Morgan Boyle is apparently due back this week so I definitely would put him in the mix, possibly to start.

Sipley has also been cleared to play, and whilst may not have as great match fitness as some others, could add some impact off the bench.

Team list Tuesday is gonna be an interesting one!

Being realistic for a moment...
Sharks actually have a team full of internationals, so that is the first thing against us.
Each player we select will have the ability to play at a high level. But the second thing against us is that we cannot artificially generate experience, and we'll have quite a lot of players with very very few NRL games behind them.
The third problem we will have is combination, in attack but especially in defence. It will in reality be a totally new team which has never played together before.
None of the above is to suggest we can't win, it is merely to put the magnitude of the task out there. If we win it will be one for the ages.
As I've mentioned before, Shark sardine complacency may give us a chance. Seriously, they wouldn't be human if they were not a little complacent, hoodoo or no hoodoo.

It is really hard to pick isn't it. I still think Elliott would be best at fullback - he has had way more experience this season in first grade in this position.

Keppie had a great debut but it does scare me a bit him starting at prop when he is usually a lock in reserve grade. But then I look at the bench and don't know who else to put in lol! Morgan Boyle is apparently due back this week so I definitely would put him in the mix, possibly to start.

Sipley has also been cleared to play, and whilst may not have as great match fitness as some others, could add some impact off the bench.

Team list Tuesday is gonna be an interesting one!
Yeah my team is subject to availability.....very difficult to pick at this stage. How great it would be to have our full strength team available. Then we'd have the issue of who to leave out lolol.

Tom T
Jorge
Parker
Suli
Garrick
Walker
DCE
Marty
Api
AFB
Thompson
Siro
Jake T

Res: Fainu, Sipley, Waddell, Paseka, Jetski, Boyle etc.

Yeah my team is subject to availability.....very difficult to pick at this stage. How great it would be to have our full strength team available. Then we'd have the issue of who to leave out lolol.

Tom T
Jorge
Parker
Suli
Garrick
Walker
DCE
Marty
Api
AFB
Thompson
Siro
Jake T

Res: Fainu, Sipley, Waddell, Paseka, Jetski, Boyle etc.

Ah man! A full team would be so good because we would have SUCH a good chance of winning it all

Hoping for a healthier 2020

1. Walker
2. Garrick
3. Parker
4. Suli
5. Taufua
6. Cust
7. DCE
8. AFB
9, Koroisau
10. Waddell
11. T-Rex
12. Gosiewski
13. Jake

14. Manase
15. Perrett
16. Boyle/Keppie
17. Olakauate

I’d move Walker to fullback and bring Cust back in. Presently DCE is our only point of attack. Walker could just play a running game from the back and allow Cust to add an extra point of attack and organisation which will be needed with our forward stocks being so depleted and combinations a little under developed.

I think we will get T-Rex approved to play 2nd row even if Keppie is available as positionally we’d be forced to play a prop on the edge which means he would be eligible, I think his experience could add value and would like to see him running off Cust on the left edge.

Not sure Des would put Dylan at fullback, do we really want a third fullback in 3 weeks ? Elliot back to fullback for me, Hopefully Gozzie , Boyle & Sipley available. If we play as a team we are a chance, as the Sharks have plenty of Penalties & errors in them.

Ok we have undone the Brookvale oval scandal which was the first barrier put in front of us by the NRL. Tomorrow will be about the next hoop of whether we get marginal Cummins as referee or Perenara (or both), just to be consistent and blow 3000 penalties against the Sea Eagles on Saturday. Regardless of all the barriers and lack of troops, I am quietly confident that those experts that have all written us off, will wake up Sunday morning writing about the team of unknowns continue to produce miracles. LOVE THE SEA EAGLES AND BEST OF LUCK BOYS

Seaeaglerock8,

You forgot the 4th problem.

We're the Mighty Manly Warringah Seaeagles and "We're bad ass Mother F*ckers and who don't take **** from nobody"*

It's too bad for the gummies that they're facing a Manly team, with their backs to the wall, nobody rating us a chance and the game to be played at The Fortress! So, whether we've got a full complement of our top line players or not, when whoever's fit and healthy enough to put on the jumper runs out on Saturday night, I believe that each of our boys will do his best and that's all anybody can ask.

Actually, that fourth problem, is not Manly's problem; it belongs to the Sharks.

Go 'Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*A line from Cool Runnings about self belief when everybody is doubting you. Apologies if I've slightly misquoted, but it's late and I can't be bothered to Google the exact quotation.

@globaleagle sorry to bother you mate there is a manly article on DT about key team changes can you post please:) thanks mate

It's no bother (though I had gone to bed by the time you had posted this, sorry).

7.50pm Saturday at Lottoland*

Sea Eagles: Des Hasler will struggle to pick a fit squad with the Sea Eagles’ growing injury toll compounded by a one week suspension to Marty Taupau for a careless high tackle. Taniela Paseka (knee) and Curtis Sironen (foot) are out, joining Tom Trbojevic (pectoral), Joel Thompson (arm) and Trent Hodkinson (knee) in being ruled out for the rest of the year. Morgan Boyle (shoulder) and Jack Gosiewski (knee) missed Friday’s game and are no certainties to return the week.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/f33358571130fa5c7bc2c5c69b08c0a4

(I think this is the one)

One thing I noticed is that Cronulla started pretty slow Sunday, and contrary to their form-line I don't think they really gel and play as a team - more as individuals. (thats why they ran 8th)
I'd like to see:
Fast play the balls - particularly the first 20 minutes - high octane straight up the middle and plays on tackles 4 and 5 only.
Simple instructions to the forwards - straight up the guts, stand up (read that Marty-and take note for next week IF you play) and play the ball quick.
Focus on possession possession possession.
No structured plays like we saw against the Eels - please (Cronulla will read it and eat it up). Do not play around Dylan again - keep the attack moving forward and do what we did until round 23 - bury them in the corners.
A straight line in defence. No more excuses.
I think if we do this, and execute, we can get off to a good start and win this footy game.
Please put Reuben back in his position on the wing and Elliot at fullback,otherwise Feki or Ronaldo Multalo will run riot.

There is my gameplan. Fill in any gaps with what we did up to round 23 - and put simple instructions and pick high workrate forwards.

Manly by 8.

NYEagle
That read instils a bit of hope
Parra took a similar mindset into the game when they beat us
Having previously lost to us and learnt, they didn’t want to make the same mistake twice
In hindsight there coach came up with the perfect game plan
Minimal structure maximum 2nd phase plays, designed to
take away our strength and play to there’s ...how ?

Offload the ball no matter what
In retrospect you have to admire how there high risk plan worked
3 of our defenders trapped in the tackle and they still got the miracle offload away
There 2nd phase moves off the back of this tactic was happening so fast we couldn’t react quick enough
Our defence in tatters there true intentions became clear Get the ball to Sivo
I really believe if Chez was onto it he could have done more (talking to his outside backs...Suli and Elliot clearly need it)
We got blindsided good and proper
To our credit though we did show enough fight in us and could have blunted these relentless tactics if Jorge had held the ball to score and later in the game Waddels useless efforts
Just some clarification on Walkers efforts
If we had capitalised on those moments to score when he gave early ball the conversation around him would be different
I’m sure Des reads it the same way
Of greater concern is our forwards
I’m expecting Des to revert Jake back to carrying the ball into contact and hopefully a license to offload after committing 3 or more defenders instead of being that extra link ball player he has become

It’s obvious Des will do the best with what he’s got
But let’s face it, of the top 8 teams we are carrying backs who are barely nrl standard and on top of that because of injuries we have the weakest forwards
All in all we need a miracle
Just think what a great game to win if we can pull it off

It really does depend on the availability of players like Jetski and Boyle. We know for certain that Thommo, Tom, Siro, Paseka and Marty are definite outs.

Assuming that Jetski and Boyle are available.....

Elliot, Taufua, Parker, Suli, Garrick, Walker, Cherry-Evans, Fonua-Blake, Fainu, Trbojevic, Waddell, Gosiewski, Koroisau. Bench - Croker, Perrett, Boyle, Keppie.

If they don't play.....

Elliot, Taufua, Parker, Suli, Garrick, Walker, Cherry-Evans, Perrett, Fainu, Trbojevic, Waddell, Fonua-Blake, Koroisau. Bench - Croker, Olakau'atu, Keppie, Williams*.

T-Rex will depend if we need to upgrade him and the NRL allows it. If not then I'm guessing Tevita Funa will get a run or at worst Cade Cust.

It'll be interesting to see who is named in just under 12 hours time.

Would be a big call to move Jake from lock as a lot of our attacking shape revolves around him. He was excellent for the Blues in Perth at prop. I think our best chance of winning on Saturday night is a very simple game plan. High completions & great kicking game/chase to build some pressure and power running through the middle to bring Walker, DCE & Fainu’s running games into play. Need to challenge them at the ruck and get the crowd right into the contest.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6