PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Titans [Round 19, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So we rush Turbo back for two games once our season has gone just so he can be ready for Origin. Then he tears his hamstring in the high intensity games and misses the start of next season. Shades of Walker and Jake the last two rep seasons.
Can't see an upside for us in any of this.
So we don't play Turbo and round 1 next year he again does his hammy. He's then out 12 weeks or so.
Thing is with top athletes you have to play them if they are ready. Sure we will all be pissed if he injures himself in a rep game but that can always happen.
If Tom is ready to come back this weekend then get him out there. If he makes Origin then go for it.
Being a top ex athlete (jokes) I think it would be worse for his state of mind to sit out the rest of the season wondering if come next year the hammy will be OK. At least if we play him now and he comes thru unscathed his confidence will be way up come when it matters in 2021.

So we don't play Turbo and round 1 next year he again does his hammy. He's then out 12 weeks or so.
Thing is with top athletes you have to play them if they are ready. Sure we will all be pissed if he injures himself in a rep game but that can always happen.
If Tom is ready to come back this weekend then get him out there. If he makes Origin then go for it.
Being a top ex athlete (jokes) I think it would be worse for his state of mind to sit out the rest of the season wondering if come next year the hammy will be OK. At least if we play him now and he comes thru unscathed his confidence will be way up come when it matters in 2021.
Yeah, because I could think of nothing better for the health of his hamstrings and mentally than coming back to play 2 games, having 6 weeks off, and then playing 3 high intensity games back to back. Sounds like a cake walk for anybody, let alone glass hammies.

No problem with him coming back to have a run for the last two games, but to push him into SOO is stupidity and neglect of the highest order

Seriously what has Guacamole done to get dudded so badly ?....oh that’s right. He was pretty much MVP the last time he got a look in.
Why no Guac Des, why???@:eek:
Attitude problem? Training issues? Lazy? Just not ready? Injury? Wore the wrong socks?

We will never know only the coaching team do.

Waddell instead of Olakau-atu makes zero sense and actually makes me pissed off at Des. Its just utter stupidity
Des showing no confidence in olakauatu is going to come back and bite him..he needs to be playing for match fitness and experience for next yr..if he is thompsons replacement then get him in there unless he isnt part of our plans and des doesnt rate him..thats what im starting to think..who knows what poor olakauatu is thinking

It's an interesting point with Metcalf, and any young half to be honest. How do you attract talented halfbacks if your incumbent is signed to an 8 year deal. Where is the career path there ? Metcalf isn't going to want to sit behind DCE for another 3 years. So it may not be a surprise we are lacking a bit of depth in the halves

This is not intended as a criticism of DCE so don't get all high and mighty, it's a genuine question about how do you manage depth in positions with extraordinarily long contracts. We could say the same about Tommy and his 7 year deal, but fullbacks tend to have a bit more flexibility than halfbacks in terms of positional coverage. A lot of them start first grade on the wing anyway.

It's one of the big downsides to long contracts
Interesting. I mean locking in that contract says this our guy he’s world class and we won’t need to look at back ups for some time. There would be appeal for a young guy coming in toward the back end. Could play 6 for a bit and be mentored by a great half for a couple of years. A smart player would jump at that opportunity. Specific to Metcalfe, I’m not really sure. Maybe we have him as a depth option and to see how he develops. Wasn’t he with another club that didn’t want him? Not like he has Schu potential where other sides would be lining up to sign him.

I think there would be many instances of these examples around the NRL. The short of it would be if you identify a truly world class player he is the guy for said period of time. Tge back up would be just that - or in DCes case perhaps get a run in the 6. Isnt Dylan brown a 7? He goes round in the 6 now.

And here’s another more selfish reason. I just want to enjoy the last two games. And so far what I’ve seen they will be a hell of a lot more enjoyable with Tom playing. Also agree around him potentially getting injured early next year as well. I initially said don’t bother playing him. Now changed my tune.

Interesting. I mean locking in that contract says this our guy he’s world class and we won’t need to look at back ups for some time. There would be appeal for a young guy coming in toward the back end. Could play 6 for a bit and be mentored by a great half for a couple of years. A smart player would jump at that opportunity. Specific to Metcalfe, I’m not really sure. Maybe we have him as a depth option and to see how he develops. Wasn’t he with another club that didn’t want him? Not like he has Schu potential where other sides would be lining up to sign him.

I think there would be many instances of these examples around the NRL. The short of it would be if you identify a truly world class player he is the guy for said period of time. Tge back up would be just that - or in DCes case perhaps get a run in the 6. Isnt Dylan brown a 7? He goes round in the 6 now.
We have had Metcalfe for a few years, we lured him from the Sharks juniors where he had been a major star. He's been developing slowly, has had issues with defence and also some serious injury including an ACL I think. He has great speed so that is one reason for giving him time and encouragement but doesn't mean he's the real deal. After the Hoppa Jnr fiasco I'm happy to back the judgment of our coaches about whether he's ready.

Trbo, Hoppa, Funa, Parker, Garrick and Harper at 5/8 .... but it will be Croker at 5/8 and probably Parker & Harper in the centres and Funa and Garrick on the wings

We have had Metcalfe for a few years, we lured him from the Sharks juniors where he had been a major star. He's been developing slowly, has had issues with defence and also some serious injury including an ACL I think. He has great speed so that is one reason for giving him time and encouragement but doesn't mean he's the real deal. After the Hoppa Jnr fiasco I'm happy to back the judgment of our coaches about whether he's ready.

Seems though that he may be on the outer now SER8 because his contract at Manly expires this year, same as Hopa

Going enjoy and savour watching our last 2 games. A year full of promise ruined by the covid wait and then injuries to key players. Going be a looong off season. Enjoy it while we can.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4