PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Penrith [Round 12, 2020]

Lets smash 'em like its the 1970s!

l_1977%20scanlens%20card%20201501200105.jpg

I’m basing the doubt of winning as many with Elliott at fullback over the past few weeks. Our win against Parramatta was basically DCE individual brilliance... Elliotts contribution to that was nil. Cowboys are an underdone side and just dont gel... they should have been an easy win and our pack dominated which was great. My point being that without another creative player in the backline, especially the outside backs, we are basically putting all of the pressure of points on DCE. With Cust dropped now its even more alarm bells... statistically he is a try a game. Every out the back play is staggered with Elliott... who catches the ball, looks up, hesitates, and just runs... no flow in attack. Out the back set plays are a huge part of our attack too...

To think we will beat more top sides with an attack that is solely off DCE as a sustainable winning formula, for me, is just basis for naivety. I hope I’m wrong.
Yeah we can agree to disagree Matai. Elliot will never set the world on fire in attack but he is safe and if others around him lift - which they will, he is our best option in Toms absence. He is also a decent enough support player around the middle so he needs to push up a bit more as well. Block plays out the back should only be used in certain situations - largely when opposition is back peddling or being dominated through the middle. They are used far to frequently in the game and are often predictable to number against. Also There ain’t actually a lot of fullbacks that play that role well, Tom ted Gutho and dufty surprises A bit too. I too don’t understand the Cust move and would have kept him there and perhaps Dylan to Centre for Parker. Des however is predictable so I saw this move coming. At least hoped cust would get the 14. Let’s hope all the boys lift tonight because at the end of the day it won’t be individual performances that win us games, it’s playing as a unit and supporting the guy beside you.

Got Taufua a try - Mansour a try and Manly by 1 point on TAB
My 7yr old just tipped Walker for first try. Get on it. He’s actually my golden hen at the moment has won me 4 first try scorer bets this year including Joel v saints and Siro last week. Near on $500 back for $20. Hrs got Tom a couple as well I think.

Of when we had a real 6?
All we need is a stable 6. I think that’s the key at the moment.Too much shifting going on due to injuries. We need a stable 6, someone who is used to playing that role every week(without getting injured).I am a little disappointed at the way we keep shifting players for people who have been sitting on the sidelines all the time, to come back and Hopefully turn things around.I get the feeling that only amounts to something Short term and not our future.We seem to put our future in the same players over and over again while forgetting what lies ahead.Alan Thompson was a Stable player and underrated. We need stability.

I never read Fitzsimons because he is a blowhard and gets facts wrong really often in his long-winded brick size “history” books.

But in today’s smh I did because there is a cartoon of dce and Joel in his column.

Decent article for the most part, but then he calls the indigenous people at Manly “cameraygal”.

He got it wrong, they are the north Sydney people, for which cammeray is named. Maybe he is trying a bears’ takeover of manly?

The NRL has correctly called Manly “Gayamaygal” and pittwater / Warringah “Garigal”.

panthers by 8
sorry the dropping of cust i think will unsettle us.
i am going to the game live can't wait and hope to proven wrong with my tip.

Last edited:
I never read Fitzsimons because he is a blowhard and gets facts wrong really often in his long-winded brick size “history” books.

But in today’s smh I did because there is a cartoon of dce and Joel in his column.

Decent article for the most part, but then he calls the indigenous people at Manly “cameraygal”.

He got it wrong, they are the north Sydney people, for which cammeray is named. Maybe he is trying a bears’ takeover of manly?

The NRL has correctly called Manly “Gayamaygal” and pittwater / Warringah “Garigal”.
He's always been a lazy bastard - has about 25 researchers on each of his books and takes all the credit. Can't imagine the SMH pays for any researchers so of course he got it wrong!

Gotta say I'm tipping penny here

We will put up a good fight, but cherry can't do it all himself this week.. for us to win, the entire backline needs to get involved and put points on..

In an arm wrestle, I think across the park they currently have more points in them..

Penny 1-12 in a bruising game

Gotta say I'm tipping penny here

We will put up a good fight, but cherry can't do it all himself this week.. for us to win, the entire backline needs to get involved and put points on..

In an arm wrestle, I think across the park they currently have more points in them..

Penny 1-12 in a bruising game
The Panthers may have plenty of points in them but they will have to break our resilient line at Lottoland which will be hard for them to do IMO . Manly to win !!!

Yeah Cust had 1 very good game last week but been average prior. Walker is the no.6 and he will be needed there if we want to challenge. Can't see how anyone would think if he wasn't fit enough that he wouldn't be put back in. Our forwards will handle the pennys. Styfle them, get up all over Cleary and they'll bog down. They aren't an arm wrestle team and that's where we'll drag them. Manly by 8.

Yeah Cust had 1 very good game last week but been average prior. Walker is the no.6 and he will be needed there if we want to challenge. Can't see how anyone would think if he wasn't fit enough that he wouldn't be put back in. Our forwards will handle the pennys. Styfle them, get up all over Cleary and they'll bog down. They aren't an arm wrestle team and that's where we'll drag them. Manly by 8.
Love your work Mick :h:

Not by many obviously, a NSW and Australian 5/8.
I didn’t think he got the recognition he deserved.I also thought Ian Martin was underrated too.If you ask most other supporters from different clubs, some would not know who Alan Thompson was but if you mention Steve Mortimer their ears prick up.Just a hunch.Alan Thompson was the best number 6 that ever played for Manly.I used to like Russell Gartner too, man that guy could run.

I’m quietly confident BUT( you’ll be pleased to know) I have tipped Penrith in the Tipping Comp.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2