PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Knights v Manly [Round 14, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mick as per my reply to Susan.....why are they in our Top 30......doesn’t that mean they’re eligible & can play 1st grade? If not good enough or as good as the rabble in the team now then why aren’t they in the development squad? It’s what is confusing about all of this non selection policy!
Obviously Des doesn't see it that way. He's getting the $$$ as head coach. We're not. As much as I disagree we have to accept what's dished up. Let's hope it doesn't turn to sh*t sandwiches again.

hmm good point
It really does confuse me mate! I’ve always thought that if you’re in the top 30 you’re supposedly 1st grade standard??? If not then you’re in the development squad which is the next step???? Like I said if neither of Hopoate or Schuster or Metcalfe are ready for 1st grade why are they taking up spots? All 3 are in our top 30 squad! If all 3 have or are recovering from injuries then again why are they taking spots in the 30??? The possible injuries sure as hell didn’t occur this year which to me means they’re ready to play 1st grade! I think I should just stfu lololol.

It really does confuse me mate! I’ve always thought that if you’re in the top 30 you’re supposedly 1st grade standard??? If not then you’re in the development squad which is the next step???? Like I said if neither of Hopoate or Schuster or Metcalfe are ready for 1st grade why are they taking up spots? All 3 are in our top 30 squad! If all 3 have or are recovering from injuries then again why are they taking spots in the 30??? The possible injuries sure as hell didn’t occur this year which to me means they’re ready to play 1st grade! I think I should just stfu lololol.
You are in fact making perfect sense. We are simply not taking the youth road like a lot of clubs even in an injury crisis. Old school approach still applies at Manly.
Time will be the judge as to who is right.

So the 3 main "up-and-comers" in our 30 who are all coming off injuries and haven't played against men were not not given "no chance to play FG" by covid halting them from playing reggies?

I give up.

What? What three players coming off injuries? Hopoate had a serious ACL injury twice, but his last injury happened at the beginning of the 2019 season. He was declared fully fit in early June, and DEs had him short listed last week, but he's disappeared again. But who else? Schuster had a minor injury late last year and was playing in the trials. He's not coming back from a serious injury. I take it Metcalfe is another you are referring to, but again I understand he was fully fit at the beginning of the season. Funa has had a couple of major injuries and had to absent for most of the past two seasons, but he's had a chance. Bradman Best was coming off an fairly serious injury last year but he has been playing. Anderson, Titmus and Burbo have not been injured at all. They were development players but my understanding is they are available and eligible to play. Other clubs have brought players up straight from the juniors its reported on this site, and performing very well. So what's the difference.

Watching that match live week, still have nightmares about how poor we were, Marty and the hit he took was no chance of playing this week it was brutal and he was out to it for a long time.

give him the week off
then make an all in last ditched effort with marty and turbo playing against Souths.

think more of a chance of the upset next weekend, knights by 18 with us upsetting Souths by 8 next weekend.

It's funny how 2 of the best teams consistently are quite ruthless when it comes to dropping underperforming players - IE Storm/Roosters. Then there are clubs like us that basically stick like glue to the same team week in week out regardless of results. I get that combinations etc are developed over time and the theory is chopping and changing isn't always the solution BUT.. Let's face it we are playing with zero flair and are a very dull lethargic team to watch atm lacking any kind of creativity. So in saying that, if that's what's lacking why don't we address that issue by putting some more x-factor/exciting players into the team. If we don't make the finals this year but blood a few future Manly guns who show some promise I'd rather that than stick with what we've got and see the season come to an inevitable very mediocre end with nothing positive whatsoever to take out of 2020. Fans need some hope or fans get disenchanted. I'm very disenchanted.

Statistic for this weekend

Our biggest ever defeat against Newcastle was 50-16 at brookvale oval on May 10 1998

with a margin of 34 points

this record could be easily broken this weekend if we play as poorly as we have been.

You are in fact making perfect sense. We are simply not taking the youth road like a lot of clubs even in an injury crisis. Old school approach still applies at Manly.
Time will be the judge as to who is right.
I think time is up and the team has been judged. From memory when des took over the question was asked whether he would go into a rebuild.
Des was adamant this this was no rebuild and manly would be a top 4 team.
This ain't no top 4 team, case closed

I think time is up and the team has been judged. From memory when des took over the question was asked whether he would go into a rebuild.
Des was adamant this this was no rebuild and manly would be a top 4 team.
This ain't no top 4 team, case closed

Could have been if Turbo, Walker and Fainu were playing. This side has some outstanding juniors on the rise, and if they can keep the central core of Turbo, Walker, DCE, Jake, Taupau, AFB, Fainu and Sirro on the field with those youngsters such as Cust, Schuster, Funa, Hopa, Burbo, Olakkau'atu and later maybe Junior Fainu coming through, they will have the team to win a premiership

Last edited:
I just have a gut feeling that Manly will be competitive. I dont think they'll win, but I dont think they'll lose by more than about 13. They could even win, but my gut says no.
Same

Ordinarily I think you are right that if you're in the top 30 you're supposedly 1st grade standard. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they were offered 1st grade contracts as a means of paying them more than they could under a dev contract and thereby keep other clubs away.

I'm not saying I agree with them not playing, just that I see that a 1st grade contract can be used as a means to lock your investment in for future years. Especially now the development contract guys can be used more freely now.

All top 30 means is that you are in the top 30 highest paid players at the club. Sometimes clubs upgrade players from dev contracts to top 30 contracts just so they don't lose them to other clubs. Has very little to do with how ready they are to play 1st Grade. No club uses 30 players in a season unless they have a horrific number of injuries.

Brissie Kid
Mar 23, 2020
Congrats Manly Sea Eagles on another season without ever winning the wooden spoon. That DCE field goal saved us!

I'm still backing this post from Rd 2. If Manly doesn't find some backbone and and beat someone soon, Rd 19 vs Dogs away will be a battle for the spoon.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4