PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Chooks v Manly [Round 1, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Des does sometimes play ducks and drakes with his selections but I remember a few occasions last year where I was expecting a particular team to take shape at the last minute only for the players that I was expecting to see be left off the extended bench!

I look at that team named today and I would have thought the players from 18-21 all deserve a spot in the 17 over some of the other guys named. I really hope some things shuffle around, but then again maybe it's just deck chairs on the Titanic...

Like others have said, I can't see why anyone is surprised by the team selections. Barring Tommy's injury, this was always the team Des was going to select. Am I concerned that we don't have a recognised hooker and that Croker is considered a first-grade footballer? Of course, but I'm not surprised - we've known this **** for months.

Regardless of whether Schuster sneaks into the side or not, this is what we've got, and if history any guide, Des won't deviate from it - win, lose or draw. I hope they all play great. Plenty of time to crucify them after the game if they don't:)

Clearly there’s plenty of question marks around the selections/non selections of Des, but the thing that probably has been overlooked a bit is our 6 and 7. It’s a pretty impressive playmaking pair - and aside from that provides plenty of leadership.

It’s the first time genuinely in a long time that Daly will actually have an experienced halves partner.
Agree. Very much looking forward to Foz and Daley playing along side each other

I dont get having Funa there ,Schuster can cover anything Funa can and most likely make a good fist of 9 or 13 if he has to which Funa certainly can't.I get the Walker idea but for me I want all my best players on the park as close to their correct positions as possible ,and therefore Schu has to be in the 17
Funa is there for when Parker trips over and knocks himself out... you know it makes sense.

If the selected team goes on the field we will lose by at least 30 points. Suli and Parker at centre is a joke . Walker has to be in the centre outside Cherry and Foran. That was our only hope for a win.
And no Shuster?
I can only assume Des is playing games. But why?
I don't think the Roosters are exactly frightened of us and that any late changes will make a difference to them.
If we get smashed with this team on the field then I think Des's credibility is gone. Round one !!!

Boy there will be egg on a lot of faces if the boys win on Saturday night.

There will also be a chorus of sack Hasler rants if they don’t.

Boy there will be egg on a lot of faces if the boys win on Saturday night.

There will also be a chorus of sack Hasler rants if they don’t.

Round 1, everyone is forgetting it’s round 1.

As long as they compete I’ll be happy , if they win I’ll be over the moon , if they get absolutely flogged and throw the towel in after 20 minutes there will be blood on the floor from the slit wrists!!

I'm in no way qualified to comment on what Des was and is thinking with respect to his team selections however, I'm more than qualified to assess and decide on the activities of my family's discretionary spending.

Today, Des forced me to think long and hard about the attitude of this Club from the front office, back office and everything in between.

I am a life-long Sea Eagle fan, coerced my wife into becoming a member during our courtship and then signed up my two young children the day they were born.

I'm a hard dollar paying member for the last 14 years and the rest of my family the last 8 years so BOZO, I represent, sorry I represented 4 memberships in those numbers last year.

However, I waited until this very day to see what Des may have served up knowing the precarious position of our roster and the absolute and unadulterated garbage towards the back end of last year.

And sadly, my fears were realised.

If I hear another comment along the lines of "maybe he is protecting player X from time inevitable thrashing coming up this weekend", I'm going to pull out the last three strands of hair, fighting the good fight on top of my head.

If they don't feel the pain of a loss in sport, big or small, how do you expect them to deal with the loss, life isn't all about winning, given as one who wins, another loses; the measure of yourself is your ability to deal with the losses as much as the wins.

Give these kids a chance but no, we give those who "will get it right because they've been there before" another run.

Well I've had enough, no more money from my family.

I feel a collective helplessness amongst many Sea Eagle fans and our plight will not improve until we see an improvement within our Club.

To that end, my contribution, in monetary terms, is minuscule, maybe enough to supply the toilet paper to the boardroom at HQ however, I've no other avenue to express my disgust.

In my business, if my service provider isn't up to the standard I expect of them, I sit down with them and have them listen to my concerns and I afford them an opportunity to improve.

I'll do it two or three times, however, the longer the problems continue, if it isn't fixed then I'm being disingenuous to myself and to the service provider as I'm giving them false hope.

Today, through our coach and his staff, the Manly Warrigah Sea Eagles became the service provider and today, I've decided to end my monetary relationship with them.

I'll be back at a time when I feel the club isn't taking me for granted.
This post will either appear incredibly insightful or absolutely ridiculous by the end of the game on Saturday night.

Round 1, everyone is forgetting it’s round 1.

As long as they compete I’ll be happy , if they win I’ll be over the moon , if they get absolutely flogged and throw the towel in after 20 minutes there will be blood on the floor from the slit wrists!!
You always seem to be rather measured MFB-Measured with a good sense of humour is how I’d put it.

You always seem to be rather measured MFB-Measured with a good sense of humour is how I’d put it.

You’d think by some of the comments that the world was ending.

We are all geniuses behind our keyboards but in reality we have zero knowledge of what’s happening at training or in the lead up to selections.

Let’s see how we go first of all.

I don’t expect a win but I do hope for a fight to the end !!

Last edited:
This post will either appear incredibly insightful or absolutely ridiculous by the end of the game on Saturday night.
I hope we win, I truly do as I've said in another post.

I am sure that I'm in the minority, however, today was the culmination of a series of frustrations to do with the way our team has been playing AND the operations of the club which have been aired in numerous posts on this site.

I want the team to do well, I want us to be the team that everyone loves to hate (doing things the right way), why, because it means we are doing things the "manly way", where our players were universally despised by everyone but us.

Come the weekend, I want to be ridiculed as it would mean we have won.

If we lose, I'll be gutted like I am after every loss.

In time, I'll return to the fold, perhaps I expected a little surprise with some new faces coming into the squad, that may have been foolish of me when I look at the depth of our squad.

Good luck to the boys and go the mighty Sea Eagles

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8