PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Chooks v Manly [Round 1, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I expect there will be changes to the 17 before the game. With the current 17, what happens if a half or dummy half is injured? It would require more than one positional change (with possibly the game plan going down the spout). If a half is injured, Walker would move into the halves with Funa replacing him at fullback. If the dummy half is injured, then Foran would replace him with Walker moving from fullback to the halves & Funa to fullback.

In contrast, if Schuster is on the bench, he would cover the halves & dummy half if they were injured. He could also rotate with the dummy half. If Funa & Schuster are on the bench, they could cover all back postions & a couple of forward positions. In this scenario, there would only be one prop, Paseka, on the bench. Davey, Sirro or Jurbo could rotate as props if needed. I guess we will learn later in the week if Walker is even fit to play. :)

I hope we win, I truly do as I've said in another post.

I am sure that I'm in the minority, however, today was the culmination of a series of frustrations to do with the way our team has been playing AND the operations of the club which have been aired in numerous posts on this site.

I want the team to do well, I want us to be the team that everyone loves to hate (doing things the right way), why, because it means we are doing things the "manly way", where our players were universally despised by everyone but us.

Come the weekend, I want to be ridiculed as it would mean we have won.

If we lose, I'll be gutted like I am after every loss.

In time, I'll return to the fold, perhaps I expected a little surprise with some new faces coming into the squad, that may have been foolish of me when I look at the depth of our squad.

Good luck to the boys and go the mighty Sea Eagles

I still think we are in with a reasonable chance in this game. I also wasn't overly excited with a couple of the selections, but as long as the team competes well for the entire 80 minutes I will be happy. I hate losses as much as anyone else on this forum, but I hate seeing the team throw the towel in after 20 minutes even more. That was last year, and its time for some of the guys to redeem themselves. They know who they are :) Go Manly.

I honestly think we may be surprised come 80 min next week.
I too share the horror of a complete arse rimming but I do feel there are a few important changes to season 2020 for us.
I'm guessing Foran will start and that will make a huge point of difference just in the general shape of the team. Gone will be DCE having to roam around overplaying his hand in an attempt to cover the other playmaker as has been the norm over the last few years.

Take out Forans injury issues the guy is still a gun. Probably the best in a poor dogs side last year and one of the best in the comp on his day.

Des loves structure and a DCE/FOZ partnership will give that in spades.

I see Schuster as a 14 for at least a few weeks to months as he learns the trade of the 1% plays. No doubt he's special and by half year I expect him and FOZ working in a 1 - 2 punch role if the 9 needs a break.

AFB going will be a big + and I think Paseka and Allo Vera will prove very good this year.

Rooters have new halves combo again and no Corner or Rads. They are 2 big outs. The Morris boys are both a year older and will be that half pace slower. The wonder kid may get a start and will go either great or have a shocker.

I would go so far to say that had Turbo been fit and ready to go we could gibe them a touch-up but any win will be excellent.
One thing for sure there will be a crap load of one sided cricket scores with the “new” 6 again rule.. basically touch footy and the refs will be the actual puppeteers pulling the strings on how matches are played.. could be a big chance to make a few $$$ on the matches.. just follow the refs that seem to “favour” a certain club and go all in.. seriously this is the biggest joke.. the refs can basically make a game score line whatever they want it to be just on possession alone.... and who’s going to go back and question a result after the fact.. I mean all the ref has to do is say “ well in my opinion in the moment of the game I gave that penalty because the defence was inside the 10” or “ the defender took too long to get off the tackled player” all these penalties or 6 again rulings are all about one persons preserved opinion and that’s a recipe For disaster. .. or rather open to interpretation that could be seen as biased and dare I say “cheating”.. I really believe in V’landys but I can’t believe he let this go through. .. scenario ..ref tells good mate ..Manly will win by 13+ this weekend go put a thousand on it.. all the ref has to do then is ensure Manly get 70plus % off the ball or even worse ensure that Manly get repeat sets on the Roosters line and it’s TRY time.. now if that’s not in the thoughts of the realms of possibility to the NRL brains trust then our game is screwed..... PS..refs are human. They love the game and yes believe it or not they have their favourite , the clubs they grew up cheering for and the others they hated...so how is handing them the power to govern how a score line pans out even plausible.

I hope we win, I truly do as I've said in another post.

I am sure that I'm in the minority, however, today was the culmination of a series of frustrations to do with the way our team has been playing AND the operations of the club which have been aired in numerous posts on this site.

I want the team to do well, I want us to be the team that everyone loves to hate (doing things the right way), why, because it means we are doing things the "manly way", where our players were universally despised by everyone but us.

Come the weekend, I want to be ridiculed as it would mean we have won.

If we lose, I'll be gutted like I am after every loss.

In time, I'll return to the fold, perhaps I expected a little surprise with some new faces coming into the squad, that may have been foolish of me when I look at the depth of our squad.

Good luck to the boys and go the mighty Sea Eagles
You are entitled to do and feel as you wish friend.

I was hoping season ‘21 did not involve Garrick and Parker, we have to have croker because of lack of options, but surely Garrick and Parker have been superseded?

Des has a lot to prove this year, there is no doubt he could coach, but can he coach under the new rules?

Pretty uninspiring run on 13. Not many incumbents should’ve been rewarded after last year, hopefully our depth apply pressure or the incumbents lift their standard

Still got the makings of a good team, but I’m worried about how they have been coached and wether other options will be tried if and when these ones don’t work

I don't mind Boyle either. He has a slow play-the-ball that needs fixing up but everything else from him is pretty good. He has the physical attributes to be outstanding.
agreed yes yes he does but he rarely seems to bend the line, not much offload and just doesn't seem to move across the ground at any pace

I was hoping season ‘21 did not involve Garrick and Parker, we have to have croker because of lack of options, but surely Garrick and Parker have been superseded?

Des has a lot to prove this year, there is no doubt he could coach, but can he coach under the new rules.
This ^^.
In every way imaginable how the f**k do we still persist with Parker and Garrick.

We are in deep trouble if an international halves pairing can’t create opportunities to score.
I am a huge fan of Schu like everyone and I wanted him in the halves in a close call over Foz but I do agree that a fit Foz with DCE is a very very good halves pairing and Foz's kicking game will help enormously. They will click beautifully but I am just not sure if we have the backline to capitalise without Turbo. Walker in the Centres and say Harper at Fullback - yes that is a backline that could capitalise. Anyway - it is what it is - lets hope this team has got some old fashioned Manly pride and grit in defence though - if they have - we are a chance and I think players like Davey will help in that Department as will Aloiai. We had no "grit" at all last year - none in the trial against Wests - defence was pathetic again. It wont matter how DCE and Foran click if the backline has no attacking flair and our defence is woeful. Maybe if Schu does get on the bench - IF - he ends up at Centre at some stage instead of Parker until Turbo returns. Parker is a great defender albeit a bit slow but the Schu could be something super special outside Foran. Somehow we need to get that kid and his silky skills on the field.

This does raise a valid point - why did we only play one trial, compared to others teams who played three - if we still need to trial things?
Yeah I agree. Although then again we cant do with any more injuries so it was as good for us as it was bad. Im just happy we are somewhere near (ish) to full strength

Last edited by a moderator:
This ^^.
In every way imaginable how the f**k do we still persist with Parker and Garrick.
I am going to give Des the benefit of the doubt on this one as I reckon he is giving the 'established' players the opportunity to justify their positions early in the season...

That approach capitalises on the established cohesion amongst the first team squad and doesn't create unnecessary rifts amongst the playing group from the get go - you have to remember that these players have relationships that extend beyond passing a pigs skin to each other...

I expect (hope) that the new kids on the block will begin to be bought in should it become obvious that the current team is not getting the job done... hopefully that is not necessary as the boys keep winning... GO MANLY....

agreed yes yes he does but he rarely seems to bend the line, not much offload and just doesn't seem to move across the ground at any pace
There was a game early last year where Boyle was our best forward by a mile, he outplayed Taupau and AFB but was then hardly spotted again all year. He can definitely be a damaging player and hopefully him getting a start is a sign he's ready to deliver

This might be my favorite thread ever.

A few selection tinkers here and there doesnt make a huge difference,

Probably the most important part of our season from here is keeping foran fit and getting turbo back. And does this team have the self belief, resillience and attitude to compete

They were horrible last year because they had none of the above and no leader trying to instill it . I prefer a win but dont care so much as long as they dont play like pussies. If we still have the kittykat attitude it wont matter who we select.

Jake, turbo and foz. The men who lead by example ,

There was a game early last year where Boyle was our best forward by a mile, he outplayed Taupau and AFB but was then hardly spotted again all year. He can definitely be a damaging player and hopefully him getting a start is a sign he's ready to deliver

He did have a period last year where he was quite solid, but then crickets. His trial form did nothing to impress. I think the chalk held him up from scoring a certain try. Not much leg drive or desire in that one.

Keppie was also underwhelming, so no surprise

I agree he is a could have - would have - should have guy. He is built like Tarzan but generally plays like Jane. He would fit in well at the Broncos where they are all big muscle boys but wouldn't knock the creme off an apple pie!

Wasn "t really that surprised with the make up with the side after Snake 's interesting suggestions last week but still a couple of quandaries with only Croker listed for main 9 duties at this stage. Prop rotation was fairly predictable and do not have a problem with Boyle there in the mix ,Keppie did drop of the pace a bit last season and Sipley probably needs more game time after a long lay off . Saddler is still the one i like in the longer term , Just have to hope that Marty and Alioia can lay a decent platform especially in the early stages . Also have to hope that Siro and Jet Ski can lift , the Roosters have a good pair of 2 nd rowers to keep in check . Walker at the back can work out , just has to be sound with managing the Rooster's kicking game and then try and threaten the Rooster 's line on a regular basis . Just how Croker is going to be managed is a bit of a puzzle at the moment , would not be inclined to move Foz , Funa as just a utility back role unless an occasional switch at the back and with Walker to fill in as a 9 . i have seen more unusual tactics in the past . At least Schuster is 18 th man , looks like that Des does not consider him ready as a starting back rower yet , Foz has to be the first pick at 6 for now , no doubt that he could handle centre , should be just a matter of time before he either starts or spends a fair bit of time on the paddock . Davey , Haumole and Harper must be considered pretty close to being in the game day squad That is why guys like Siro and Jet Ski and a couple of the backs really will have to play at a consistent good level to keep their spots . Have never seen Saab play so that is going to be a bit of a revelation for me at least . Just have to see how things pan out with this present line up and combinations but regardless , Go Manly .

Wasn "t really that surprised with the make up with the side after Snake 's interesting suggestions last week but still a couple of quandaries with only Croker listed for main 9 duties at this stage. Prop rotation was fairly predictable and do not have a problem with Boyle there in the mix ,Keppie did drop of the pace a bit last season and Sipley probably needs more game time after a long lay off . Saddler is still the one i like in the longer term , Just have to hope that Marty and Alioia can lay a decent platform especially in the early stages . Also have to hope that Siro and Jet Ski can lift , the Roosters have a good pair of 2 nd rowers to keep in check . Walker at the back can work out , just has to be sound with managing the Rooster's kicking game and then try and threaten the Rooster 's line on a regular basis . Just how Croker is going to be managed is a bit of a puzzle at the moment , would not be inclined to move Foz , Funa as just a utility back role unless an occasional switch at the back and with Walker to fill in as a 9 . i have seen more unusual tactics in the past . At least Schuster is 18 th man , looks like that Des does not consider him ready as a starting back rower yet , Foz has to be the first pick at 6 for now , no doubt that he could handle centre , should be just a matter of time before he either starts or spends a fair bit of time on the paddock . Davey , Haumole and Harper must be considered pretty close to being in the game day squad That is why guys like Siro and Jet Ski and a couple of the backs really will have to play at a consistent good level to keep their spots . Have never seen Saab play so that is going to be a bit of a revelation for me at least . Just have to see how things pan out with this present line up and combinations but regardless , Go Manly .

Thats a good assesment. Nice work al.

I have hope for jetski, but less for sirro just going off how many chances each have had to impress

Ive only seen saddler in the allstars and the trial. He has been ok in my eyes but hasnt been busting the door down . He holds his own . A lot of talk about him previously as a firebrand might have had me looking for more

I think aliaoi is just what the doctor ordered. As good as afb was he was the wrong type of tough. Manly needs to get on top early with the forwards and that doesnt always equate to run metres and attitude

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8