Poll .. Saab V Tuipulotu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Which player do you throw the jersey to?

• Saab

• Tuipuluto

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tuipolutu and Koula centres, Saab and Garrick wingers. Easy fix and gives a combination of speed and size/power. Throw in Tom from the back and Schu , Olaku on the edges and that will be a deadly backline. With Saab out I would go with Jorge on the wing this Fri night. No way Soul Glo.

Tippy hands down. offers more. bigger body, more metres, good finisher, goes looking for work

Saab quick if Tom puts him into open space without a defender in front of him

gets rag dolled, doesn't go looking for work, defends by back pedalling.

Saab will take a carry from our own end, stands up right then dumped on his back. The defence is then set and hammers the next charge.

would rather an outside back with a stronger carry, gets us going forward. Need more metres coming out from our own end with quicker play the backs.

Manly can get a good roll on from that, with marty and co following up with hits ups over the advantage line
Yes Saab scored a lot of tries from turbo but he scored some from open play too. Won us a couple of matches last year.
Just think he needs more of a chance. Tippy is a centre by trade so would be better in that option.

On current (5 game) form absolutely Tui.

But that’s a bit short sighted and so is the thread. As someone already rightly pointed out, this thread would have been laughed at midway through last year.

Once Manly gets all the top 17 back on deck, the team will be better suited to have Tui in the centres with Koula and Garrick and Saab on the wing.
Saab is a POD with his unmatched height and speed.

It really is no different to the Fox… look how he isn’t being given the same opportunities at the Dogs with his speed. That’s because the Dogs team aren’t playing well enough yet to put him in the positions. Same story with Saab.

Harper and Parker are admirable Manly work horses but won’t win us a premiership.

Room for both. Tui centre. Saab wing.
If we can make room for Tui and Koula then I'm ok with Saab being there.

Second year syndrome is a pretty big thing. First year a player comes in and goes great because other teams don't know or do a lot of work on them.
This year those same opportunities are closed down with better opposition D.
Saab will be a very good player. Just needs time and an Adult head space.

Should never say never but Tuipulotu because he is better than Saab in 95% of circumstances

Our right side hasn't been able to put our wingers into gaps in our half which is where Saab brings the x factor

If Saab doesnt bring the x factor then his confidence drops then it impacts his finishing

He needs to add bulk and he will work his way back

Last edited:
Should never say never but Tuipulotu because he is better than Saab in 95% of circumstances

Our right side hasn't been able to put our wingers into gaps in our half which is where Saab brings the x factor

If Saab doesnt bring the x factor then his confidence drops then it impacts his finishing

He needs to add bulk and he will work his way back
but would tippy score 25 meat pies in a season. Probably not. Seems more of a 15 sort of player. Very good but at the moment, not x-factor. The game is always evolving and players need to adapt. some do quicker than others. One this I am sure of is that wingers need to score tries and Saab can do that if he gets the proper service.

but would tippy score 25 meat pies in a season. Probably not. Seems more of a 15 sort of player. Very good but at the moment, not x-factor. The game is always evolving and players need to adapt. some do quicker than others. One this I am sure of is that wingers need to score tries and Saab can do that if he gets the proper service.

On the other wing Garrick scored 23 tries .. and like Saab, Many as a direct result of Tom playing the greatest 15 or so games in the history of RL.

The first 8 weeks of this season have shown you can't rely on Tom all the time.

From memory .. faulty agreed ... there were probably only about 4 tries that you could argue only Saab could have scored.

But then in the interests of fairness you would need to also ask how many tries would a more robust Tui have scored that Saab couldn't..

But then, the try scoring facts don't address the issues that (I believe) most people have based their opinions on .. and those are

Setting up our sets from a kick return. ... poor tackling ... poor general defensive reads and positioning ... errors. ..

Last edited:
Tuipolotu - averaging 15 carries for 137m, 3.8 tackle breaks a game, with 3 tries from 5 games
Saab - averaging 10 carries for 72m, 0.6 tackle breaks a game, with 1 try from 8 games

Based on 2022 stats, Saab isn't even doing his "thing" - scoring tries. He needs to regain some confidence in NSW cup and learn off Garrick how to improve his carries.

I will also add that Cameron Brown is a highly rated winger in Jersey Flegg that has scored a tonne of tries and has been training with the top squad. Good to have healthy competition.

Last edited:
On the other wing Garrick scored 23 tries .. and like Saab, Many as a direct result of Tom playing the greatest 15 or so games in the history of RL.

From memory .. faulty agreed ... there were probably only about 4 tries that you could argue only Saab could have scored.

But then in the interests of fairness you would need to also ask how many tries would a more robust Tui have scored that Saab couldn't..

But then, the try scoring facts don't address the issues that (I believe) most people have based their opinions on .. and those are

Setting up our sets from a kick return. ... poor tackling ... poor general defensive reads and positioning ... errors. ..
Agree.
How many did he let in or make an error that led to a try.

Without putting the mock on him, I can't recall Tui making any handling errors.
I've said it before, he hadn't really set my world on fire in the past but this year at both wing and centre and different sides of the field, he's been quality with and without the ball.

"proper service" is always the 1% plays because a winger getting the ball with open air in front of him in a teams own half (which is where you want someone with Saabs top speed) rarely happens.

Until Manly has a system to keep putting Saab through untouched then his shortcomings outweigh his attributes.

So Saabs value as a player is largely dependent on someone else creating the magic. Once that isnt happening, he doesnt look like solid first grade material because his other best attribute is his vertical reach and that is compromised by his confidence dips

Saab is worth keeping because of his speed but he needs to bulk up because many aspects of his game aren't NRL standard because of the lack of physicality

I agree the kid has issues that need to be addressed.
From my memory and its probably not much better but his speed allowed us to score a lot of tries (yes off turbo) that most wings just wouldn't have been there to get. So regardless of Tommy playing the best footy of the NRL era last year someone needs to be with him to get the ball and Saab was that guy.
I remember the DCE to Saab 60m kick v warriors, Harper to saab v titans, Dce kick to Saab v dogs, turbo to saab v titans in mudgee just to name a few. Most of those alone would not have been scored had Saab not been the man in support.

I agree the kid has issues that need to be addressed.
From my memory and its probably not much better but his speed allowed us to score a lot of tries (yes off turbo) that most wings just wouldn't have been there to get. So regardless of Tommy playing the best footy of the NRL era last year someone needs to be with him to get the ball and Saab was that guy.
I remember the DCE to Saab 60m kick v warriors, Harper to saab v titans, Dce kick to Saab v dogs, turbo to saab v titans in mudgee just to name a few. Most of those alone would not have been scored had Saab not been the man in support.

Yes .. but Garrick scoring 23 tries on the other side clearly indicates that any competent winger with a bit of pace would have had a field day ... not specifically and exclusively Saab.

Even the Mungo T-Rex was a leading try scorer on the wing outside Jamie.

Yes .. but Garrick scoring 23 tries on the other side clearly indicates that any competent winger with a bit of pace would have had a field day ... not specifically and exclusively Saab.

Even the Mungo T-Rex was a leading try scorer on the wing outside Jamie.
I would counter that most of garricks tries were puerly classic 20m finishes outside foran,the shoe and turbo. Great strike rate yes but replaceable by most good wings in Nrl. There were some points in the early seson where he held back and missed out on a number of tries that others would have scored.

Saab scored some scorchers that only JAC would have been able to match. Thats a rare thing that shouldn't be underestimated.

Yes his D needs work but on occasion his pace saved the day as well. Remember the warriors second game where his cover on Mamolo won us the match. That was a try every day of the week until Saab hit the burners and saved the day.

An again against the cows running down the intercept with a 15m deficite was spectacular.

Put Jorge back on the park last year on Saabs wing and even in that side he would have been lucky to bag 10+. Yes great at the hard stuff in our end and a ferocious defender but a wings no.1 job is score.

I would counter that most of garricks tries were puerly classic 20m finishes outside foran,the shoe and turbo. Great strike rate yes but replaceable by most good wings in Nrl. There were some points in the early seson where he held back and missed out on a number of tries that others would have scored.

Saab scored some scorchers that only JAC would have been able to match. Thats a rare thing that shouldn't be underestimated.

Yes his D needs work but on occasion his pace saved the day as well. Remember the warriors second game where his cover on Mamolo won us the match. That was a try every day of the week until Saab hit the burners and saved the day.

An again against the cows running down the intercept with a 15m deficite was spectacular.

Put Jorge back on the park last year on Saabs wing and even in that side he would have been lucky to bag 10+. Yes great at the hard stuff in our end and a ferocious defender but a wings no.1 job is score.

Yes, we all watch the same games .. and yes he is fast, and we all appreciate he has his talents ..

It comes down to personal priorities I guess ... I just think at this stage his deficiencies are outweighing his advantages

Hopefully that will change .. but for now .. if I had to throw the wing jersey to one of them .. it would be Tui.

With 97 votes cast ... THE Tribe has Spoken.

Over 85% of Silvertails selecters throw the jumper to Tui ... for what appears a variety of reasons.

SAAB will be back, and we all wish him well.

With 97 votes cast ... THE Tribe has Spoken.

Over 85% of Silvertails selecters throw the jumper to Tui ... for what appears a variety of reasons.

SAAB will be back, and we all wish him well.
Lucky the club and coach pays absolutely no attention to silvertails or saab would be done.

Funny isn’t it… 5 games for Tui and he’s already shown enough.
Wait till he has his own howler or series of bad games… the same people will be screaming for his head.

The same ones who last year called for Saabs “deficiencies” to rule him out of the squad around this same time went all quiet once he went on a superstar run. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing…

I expect to see Saab back once the squads back to full strength.

Tui deserves a spot in the 17 for sure. Been fantastic after his 5 games.
Spot on. Great post.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4