Poll .. Saab V Tuipulotu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Which player do you throw the jersey to?

• Saab

• Tuipuluto

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes .. but Garrick scoring 23 tries on the other side clearly indicates that any competent winger with a bit of pace would have had a field day ... not specifically and exclusively Saab.

Even the Mungo T-Rex was a leading try scorer on the wing outside Jamie.
Which goes to show that wingers really are finishers and are only as good as the team and structures around them. Also shows why you should never pay too much money for them.

Exhibit A this year has to be Nick Meaney, who's gone from the Dogs to the Storm and is playing like the absolute superstar Josh Addo-Carr - whose position he took - is supposed to be. Meanwhile, how's Addo-Carr going at the Dogs?

Saab.

You can't teach tall and fast but you can train out the errors in his game. Sure, give him a stint at the Workers but please don't train out his spark!!!

Tui has very much earned his spot though, no shade on him. I am just slow to forget Saab's standout 2021 and think he can Rueben* into a strong footballer.

If I was asked to rank the outside backs it might be:

Garrick
Parker
Koula
Saab
Tui / Burbo
Harper

Which is excluding the excellent Walker, Legendary Jorge & the other guys I haven't seen enough of.

* Term for footballer who has worked on his game to the point where his errors are minimised and is a consistently safe defender, while still being a gun attacker.

Saab.

You can't teach tall and fast but you can train out the errors in his game. Sure, give him a stint at the Workers but please don't train out his spark!!!

Tui has very much earned his spot though, no shade on him. I am just slow to forget Saab's standout 2021 and think he can Rueben* into a strong footballer.

If I was asked to rank the outside backs it might be:

Garrick
Parker
Koula
Saab
Tui / Burbo
Harper

Which is excluding the excellent Walker, Legendary Jorge & the other guys I haven't seen enough of.

* Term for footballer who has worked on his game to the point where his errors are minimised and is a consistently safe defender, while still being a gun attacker.

Agree, the question was asked in the context of this week, now, today. .. who would you throw the Jersey to. ..

If we ask the same question in 5 weeks time we may well get a different answer.

This is not a career defining or ending for Saab ... it is more a recognition that Tui brings a more complete skill set that most think of greater value at the moment.

If I had to guess I would say that kick returns and starting our sets in a positive position is one of the main reasons ... followed by a stronger defense.

Just to echo most here , Saab is a good player but needs a bit of bulk / conditioning as he makes no ground running the ball back unless they leave a hole for him to run through ,
great in the air and his speed is great , defense is poor but that can be fixed with time .
So Tui gets the run for now , hes maybe not as fast but close and he defends much better also hits well too , but i would love to keep Saab as he will be very good with a bit more time and experience.
A good problem we may have next year , our backline could be very explosive with all of them on the field.

Saab has really missed Tom.

Love his speed , great at jumping for the ball but gee the opposition do target him due to his lightweight nature and make it almost impossible for him to get it out of his corner.

I think maybe he needs a lot of training and he’ll be good again.

So in my opinion he’s definitely the future right wing.

The centres have to battle it out , Parker & Harper v Tippy and Koala ( or one of each ).

Tippy is better at making metres coming out of our own half and doing the gritty stuff that no one notices, he put a few hits on Sivo the other night too which was not noticed.
If Turbo gets injured Tippy is even more important than Saab.
We all know Saab is quick and can finish a try, but coming out of our own half is where Tippy is better.

Does it matter? In May last year, Saab imo was cleary better.

Talent is talent. Some can identify it, some cannot.
Yeah it does.

At the time Christian started really strong and Saab was having second year blues.

To be clear I'm really high on Saab. Thought he showed last year prior to his injury that he had really worked on his weaknesses. He has a great attitude and willingness to get better.

Tui has regressed.

If you knew that all along then good on you.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8