Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think the side will be too bad. Some concerns around the backline though

Weekes
Garrick
Harper
Walker
Parker
Foran
DCE
Keppie
Croker
Marty
Davey
Bullemore
Jrbo
Segy
Paseka
De Luis
Brbo???

Would probably name trbo to at least **** with Roosters for a couple of days

Parker is injured, Lets hope the 3 missing last week with Covid are available.

It's been suggested previously that perhaps the BWSE relationship isn't working due to players coming into first grade who aren't from the area & therefore didn't grow up with a passion for the club.

While I think that's a tad shortsighted/narrowminded (because if you relied solely on local juniors these days you'd struggle to make a top 30), I do agree there are certain cultural differences that exist & this incident has brought them to the fore.

When "cultural" &/or "religious" differences can result in not being able to field a full-strength team, what can be done to resolve the issue?

Is it simply ignored or is action taken to close the gap causing the issue so it doesn't continue to happen?

Would be interesting to see if like minded players at other clubs go out in sympathy.
Was just discussing this with my Roosters supporting younger brother.We both agreed that there's next to no chance that other Polynesian players step down from selection in solidarity at their respective clubs.

Great stuff by Des and I hope PVL does get his pride round next year.
I do wish the CEO or marketing people had gone about this the right way by talking to players first because I would hope they would have been able to see that it isn't actually endorsing homosexuality (the part of inclusion they seem to have a problem with) but just saying that it's ok for everyone to exist and that the 'lifestyle' they don't agree with shouldn't be the cause of hostility.

My concern with the way it has played out is that those who are sitting out are largely the players from Western Sydney with the gang signals.

Is the mere act of sitting out telling those gangs that it's alright to not to be 'okay with the gay'?
History would have it that bashings are not too far behind.

Take religion and culture out of it for a minute and imagine this scenario: What if a player who isn't Polynesian or religious refused to wear the jersey on the grounds that he simply doesn't think gay people are "right" or "normal" and should not be considered equal to the rest of the population? Would that player be applauded for his "brave stance"?

Yes .... I would certainly applaud this lone voice raised in heroic isolation .... then I would call him a numbnut .....

Remember simpler times, when just following manly, watching our boys run on in our maroon and white jerseys was inclusive enough, sitting on the hill a gay guy beside me, a religious nutter infront and my lesbian sister somewhere in the mix, it didn't matter your race religion or sexualising orientation, we weren't there to celebrate anything else but a football team.
I don't give a rats where you hang your hat, just let me enjoy the bloody football.

It's been suggested previously that perhaps the BWSE relationship isn't working due to players coming into first grade who aren't from the area & therefore didn't grow up with a passion for the club.

While I think that's a tad shortsighted/narrowminded (because if you relied solely on local juniors these days you'd struggle to make a top 30), I do agree there are certain cultural differences that exist & this incident has brought them to the fore.

When "cultural" &/or "religious" differences can result in not being able to field a full-strength team, what can be done to resolve the issue?

Is it simply ignored or is action taken to close the gap causing the issue so it doesn't continue to happen?
This is something I considered, it's even more plausible when you compare it to the data of electorates voting for the same sex marriage plebiscite.

The Northern Beaches is in traditional terms a very socially progressive and economically conservative bloc, the last federal election illustrated this perfectly. I believe Warringah polled at 75% "Yes" regarding the plebiscite whilst "Same-sex marriage: Majority of No voters from Western Sydney".

If nothing else it is an interesting connection however, my research has been very light regarding this and I have no other empirical evidence to verifiably prove such a link.

Beyond that I have not considered the alternatives or other arrangements to address such an issue should it exist.

I find the amount of empathy & understanding displayed by some people for the 7 players standing down due to pressure from their cultural society at distinct odds with the amount of empathy & understanding displayed by the same people for the people this jersey represents.
Because what the 7 are doing is ignorant Ill informed and hurtful to a minority group. The lgbti group are not hurting anyone.

A few/all of these guys who are supposedly sitting out are happy to represent gangs and violence with their hand signs after scoring a try and while taking pictures. They also wear that apparently gang affiliated clothing label they all get around in. The club looks the other way - it doesn't matter, whatever apparently. I and many fans don't like this message but nothing is done.

At the same time though they're not happy to just throw on the jersey even if they don't approve of the message personally? What a load of rubbish. You still show up and play footy with your mates and for your club.

I will not be supporting the above mentioned players if they dont wake up to themselves by Thursday night and run out in club colours.
They love to grab the emblem and kiss it or pat it after a try.
Its now time to prove it DH's.
Club first.

As mentioned in another thread, this is FAR from over with a number of players seeking an immediate release and there are scackings within the club going ahead this week including two yesterday who were terminated .

This is something I considered, it's even more plausible when you compare it to the data of electorates voting for the same sex marriage plebiscite.

The Northern Beaches is in traditional terms a very socially progressive and economically conservative bloc, the last federal election illustrated this perfectly. I believe Warringah polled at 75% "Yes" regarding the plebiscite whilst "Same-sex marriage: Majority of No voters from Western Sydney".

If nothing else it is an interesting connection however, my research has been very light regarding this and I have no other empirical evidence to verifiably prove such a link.

Beyond that I have not considered the alternatives or other arrangements to address such an issue should it exist.
Well, usually "education" is a means of mitigating misunderstanding but unfortunately when religion is involved you'll have a battle even establishing/gaining agreenent from one party there has even been a misunderstanding.

I seem to recall SBW being allowed to wear a different jersey because of his religious beliefs - may have been in union though. Also wasn’t there something around Suaali and his debut jersey being different because he was under 18 ??
If I recall correctly, he was playing for the Roosters. It was one of the sponsors SBW wasn't fond of for religious reasons so the club approached the sponsor and the sponsor agreed SBW didn't have to wear said sponsors insignia.

I'm scratching my head, are we living in 2022 or are we in the twilight zone? That for the younger ones is a refence to a old TV show about travelling into different dimensions. The players live within a community where same sex relationships and marriages have been legitimized by our democratically elected government thereby exercising the will of the majority of voters. So I wonder what's the point of this protest by a few footballers. What is the purpose of their stance? Just because they wear the jersey that identifies the club they represent does not mean they endorse anything else on the jersey such as gambling. There is a complete absence of sound reasoning and logic being applied here by the players. I hope their elders impart some wisdom upon them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8