Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the case why are they running out on 4 Pines Park with PointsBet across their chest?

This is the most infuriating part of this whole saga.

I think a lot of the backlash has come from the fact that the players used their 'religion' as an excuse.

Had they simply said the jerseys don't represent them or their values, then fair game. But it's hypocritical to use your religion as an excuse to not support one thing, whilst turning your back on the other teachings from your book.

The reality is, Australia is becoming less religious - the 2021 census had 38.9% of Australians identify as 'No Religion'.

This is the most infuriating part of this whole saga.

I think a lot of the backlash has come from the fact that the players used their 'religion' as an excuse.

Had they simply said the jerseys don't represent them or their values, then fair game. But it's hypocritical to use your religion as an excuse to not support one thing, whilst turning your back on the other teachings from your book.

The reality is, Australia is becoming less religious - the 2021 census had 38.9% of Australians identify as 'No Religion'.
It's not only hypocritical to hide behind their religion as an excuse, it's moral cowardice.

I have resisted the temptation to get involved in this, but a few facts need to be clarified

-this is women in league round
-its also the Gotcha for life Cup against Roosters
-a pride round is a fine idea but they need to organise it and bring the stakeholders around
-NRL are supposed to sign off on jersey changes, so how can we change the jersey anyway ?
-who is running the joint ...Homer Simpson ,Turd Greenburg ? what moron thought it was a good idea to throw all the marketing opportunities into the washing machine and see what cluster f,,, can be created -on that note job well done morons !!
-NRL, broadcasters and fans will not be happy with Manly fielding a reserve grade side ,so that cant happen

2 solutions
1.let those objecting wear their normal jersey
2.I think the better idea is for Manly to say look we have jumped the gun here ,its women in league round and the Gotch for Life Cup so thats enough themes for one week and on that basis we will play in our normal jersey and work with all the stakeholders to try and include everyone to have pride (remembering its not about promoting gayness its about supporting those that are ) round at a later date where there is not competing messages and it can be given the focus it deserves

just my thoughts and I actually like the Pride jersey looks great, its a good idea at the wrong time and badly executed and poorly communicated and sold to the stakeholders

Promoting gayness?????

Lmao. We have officially jumped the shark here.

Manly should take a quid pro quo approach;

If players choose to break their contracts and make themselves unavailable, for any reason, Manly should have the right to withold permission to allow them to play for their Country.

Because they dont consider gambling and alcohol as "sin"?

Google begs to differ.

'And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit' - Ephesians 5:18

'Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.' - Proverbs 20:1

'It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.' - Romans 14:21

'For he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb.' - Luke 1:15

"But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs." - 1 Timothy 6:9-10

The mental gymnastics of justifying exclusion under the guise of inclusion is astounding. Do you actually read any of the **** you write? "Promoting gayness" are you for real mate?
Actually I do read what I write before I post, and its just my opinion as I see it, with few facts as I know it, thrown in for good measure. I stand by the points I made.
In any case I'm not excluding anything or anybody ,I'm saying give it its own round without having to compete with other themes I really cant see that as being anything other than inclusive.
Surely you agree that this is a giant cluster f&^% with many unintended consequences and ramifications effecting our team cohesion and spirit, sponsors, fans ,TV broadcasters etc .The whole thing is a self inflicted wound that somehow needs to be fixed before Thursday night.

Great post Budgie. After all this blew up yesterday I googled that 10% of males are gay. So that would have at least 3 of our top 30 gay. This may not be the case however how would these potentially gay players feel with their team mates stance. The club in trying to do the right thing have seriously ****ed up in the delivery. Extremely amateurish.
I dont know about these stats .
I went to a gay bar once and I bet you 100% of those fellas there were gay.

Anyhoo, I've had a good run at this and I reckon I'm gonna try to just get back to the footy chat.

My final word is this, good on the club for promoting inclusivity and diversity.

History will look back favourably on the cub and I'm proud we are the first club to go down this path.

That said it could have been handled a bit better with some internal consultation no doubt....lessons to be learned.

We have a big game on Thursday and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully by kick off we will have as close to a full contingent as possible but if players must sit out then so be it. It is all just a game after all.

The big thing, next week we will all still be here and a be supporting manly so lets try to keep it as kind and respectful as possible.

Go Manly!!

Google begs to differ.

'And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit' - Ephesians 5:18

'Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.' - Proverbs 20:1

'It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.' - Romans 14:21

'For he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb.' - Luke 1:15

"But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs." - 1 Timothy 6:9-10
And yet none of these suggest the alcohol or gambling are sins...

1658798099301.png

HA!

I assume with all the talk in the media, that the press conference with DCE and Des will be on most major news channels, but does anyone know for certain where it will be televised, and is it still on track for midday?

I find the amount of empathy & understanding displayed by some people for the 7 players standing down due to pressure from their cultural society at distinct odds with the amount of empathy & understanding displayed by the same people for the people this jersey represents.

The Mole: Gay Manly player devastated by players' boycott of pride jersey

A young gay Manly player has been devastated by the stance taken by seven of his club-mates to stand down this weekend rather than wear the club's pride jersey.

The players on Monday decided to boycott the clash with the Roosters, refusing to wear the jersey, which supports the LGBTQ community.

The players, believed to be Josh Aloiai, Jason Saab, Josh Schuster, Haumole Olakau'atu, Tolutau Koula, Christian Tuipulotu and Toafofoa Sipley, are refusing to play in the jersey on religious grounds.

But their stance has left a promising young homosexual Sea Eagle, who has not yet come out publicly, devastated.

"He is a good young player coming through the grades and just wanted to play first grade for Manly," a close friend of the player told Wide World of Sports.

"But this move by the players has shocked him. He thought they would accept him for who he is if he ever decided to make his sexual preferences public - clearly that is not the case.

"He has been devastated by this turn of events - the pride jumper is supposed to be a sign of hope and inclusion.

"The fact that half the team would boycott it rather than play has deeply saddened him.

"They have no problem supporting gambling on their jumpers, which is a sin according to the Bible. But when it comes to homosexuality, they have a problem."

Former Manly hard man Ian Roberts made world headlines as the first footballer to openly declare he was gay in the 1990s.

On Monday he told The Sydney Morning Herald he was upset but not surprised by the Manly players' stance on the one-off jersey.

"It hasn't totally shocked me like it's shocking everyone else. As an older gay man, I'm used to this. I expected there would be some sort of religious pushback," Roberts said.

A young gay Manly player has been devastated by the stance taken by seven of his club-mates to stand down this weekend rather than wear the club's pride jersey.

The players on Monday decided to boycott the clash with the Roosters, refusing to wear the jersey, which supports the LGBTQ community.

The players, believed to be Josh Aloiai, Jason Saab, Josh Schuster, Haumole Olakau'atu, Tolutau Koula, Christian Tuipulotu and Toafofoa Sipley, are refusing to play in the jersey on religious grounds.

But their stance has left a promising young homosexual Sea Eagle, who has not yet come out publicly, devastated.

"He is a good young player coming through the grades and just wanted to play first grade for Manly," a close friend of the player told Wide World of Sports.

"But this move by the players has shocked him. He thought they would accept him for who he is if he ever decided to make his sexual preferences public - clearly that is not the case.

"He has been devastated by this turn of events - the pride jumper is supposed to be a sign of hope and inclusion.

"The fact that half the team would boycott it rather than play has deeply saddened him.

"They have no problem supporting gambling on their jumpers, which is a sin according to the Bible. But when it comes to homosexuality, they have a problem."

Former Manly hard man Ian Roberts made world headlines as the first footballer to openly declare he was gay in the 1990s.

On Monday he told The Sydney Morning Herald he was upset but not surprised by the Manly players' stance on the one-off jersey.

"It hasn't totally shocked me like it's shocking everyone else. As an older gay man, I'm used to this. I expected there would be some sort of religious pushback," Roberts said.
Hope the kidmakes first grade with us and has the confidence and support to be who he is

This is the worst part of this whole situation. How many people will just keep silent because they are afraid of how a large percentage of their own team will treat them?

Google begs to differ.

So remember that the majority of these guys aren't explicitly Christian but mostly LDS. Many of them will take pilgrimage to SLC and take their two years like Hoppa JR did.

In the LDS the prophet and governing body will create the rules that the followers then well follow.

The church has strongly forbidden Alcohol and Gambling and Coffee (Specifically coffee, many of them will drink red bull and monster with no issue as it bends the rules. There is a reason there is quite a high issue with opioid medication through places like Utah because it's a medicine and therefore tolerated.

Where things get interesting is that their stance on same sex attraction has shifted from the view of it being "curable" to now showing an understanding that it is not a matter of choice.

"The experience of same-sex attraction is a complex reality for many people. The attraction itself is not a sin, but acting on it is." The LDS Church previously taught that same-sex attraction is a curable condition, but now states that "individuals do not choose to have such attractions" and that therapy focusing on "a change in sexual orientation" is "unethical.""

Some views of the church on Gambling: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org...-is-the-churchs-position-on-gambling?lang=eng

on Alcohol : FAQ—Do Mormons drink?—The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (interestingly hot drinks are also forbidden, tea, coffee, herbal drinks. No talk of banning sponsorship from coffee shops (FAQ—Can Mormons drink coffee?—The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)

Oh Tattoos should also be avoided: FAQ—Can Mormons have tattoos?—The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

The point is here, that most of these are rules, and choices for Mormons, LDS has rules that they have put in place, and it depends on how far you want to go inside the religion whether you follow it.

I have a lot of experience with US mormons and have worked along side them for years and I will say that every single one of them are some of the best humans I know, real stand up people all of them. Some of them drink, very rarely do they drink when at Salt Lake, and former LDS will not drink around other card carriers they see.

They are also very tolerant of people not in the church doing their thing, happy for you to go about your day doing the things you want to do and overall tolerant. As I previously stated, I was in Salt Lake a few years back for work right when pride was on, it was a huge event and I hung out at the event with a bunch of Mormons that we generally supportive of the event.

Anyway a long post basically to say this isn't really a matter of "religion" and its cowardice to hide behind it we can all point out the holes in that argument. It's a bunch of people that have had opinions or feelings hurt (i.e. why wasn't I consulted) and are taking action, then hiding behind religion as the reason.

Anyway, still feel sorry for the guys who have to wear those eels jerseys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8