Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Classic - I'm not homophobic, I'll just hide behind religion & politics to get my point across instead.

Even better, why don't you go to the game with a placard that says "GOD HATES F*GS"?
Predictable. Don't recall mentioning religion or god??

I wonder if they consulted with the Roosters beforehand, seeking a joint approach?

I doubt it and I doubt if the Roosters would have been so foolish as to not consult with their players before any announcement was forthcoming.

Firstly, f*ck Paul Kent. Flog of the highest order.

I still don't believe that the playing group didn't know about this. Foz, Reubs and Keppie would have done their photo shoot over a week or more ago. Did it really not get back to the playing group? I just simply cannot accept that the first time they heard about the jersey was reading the paper yesterday morning.
How come none of the Polynesians were not in that photo? They make up more than half the team. Or did they decline?

I think that most times, somebody saying they’re a proud gay man etc means they’re just owning it and not ashamed of who they are. Which is fair enough

Some thoughts:
Again, posting as a lesbian who was so thrilled with the announcement this morning that I immediately bought a jersey. I hadn't planned on going to the game on Thursday but if it arrives, I will attend, wearing it proudly.
As someone who sat on the hill with a homophobic mother for decades, a mother who kicked me out of the house when I told her, I was as thrilled about this jersey as I was to have Ian Roberts wear our colours all those years ago.
Incidentally, after decades my mother did decide that loving me was more important than siding with the hatred of others.

Parents who did not come around though were those of the gay Polynesian twins who needed a whole group of us in our early twenties to go around to their parents house to get all their possessions from the front lawn where they had been thrown out. Those parents never spoke to their twins again. So, from my perspective, there's a long history of Polynesian gay hate.

I wondered then if the ferocity of their beliefs was so strong because the Islands were such a target of the Vatican's missionaries. I'd imagined it was fairly extreme preaching, full of fear. That is conjecture on my part.

I also wonder now if this decision by the seven players is less their own and more that of their preachers.

I question though, these players commitment to the club over their church. Clearly the church wins and I don't know how, as a club, you deal with that.

If I ran a club with half the playing group with very serious religious beliefs, I would have worried about having gambling and alcohol sponsors because we know that both lead to suicides and domestic violence and religious people are supposed to care about people, especially the downtrodden. Once I'd gotten that vice stuff past them, I would have thought the inclusivity jersey would have been a doddle. So yes, I would have made the same mistake.

I don't entirely buy the players not being aware of it because Foz, Reubs, and Keppie did a photo shoot with the jerseys. Do the players not talk? And I know people are blowing up at the club over lack of consultation but I'd imagine they didn't consult on any of the other special jerseys and honestly didn't imagine in 2022 yada yada yada

I'm also a bit sad but not surprised that Des supports the players over the club. I know he's religious and likes to keep his players on side but I will never get over the feeling that he still somehow resents the club and is here for his coaching career and nothing else. Listen to his language in press conferences and interviews. You will hear it. And maybe he thought we couldn't win this week anyway so stick it to the club and keep the players where he needs them.
Good thing we don't have a gay player, eh?

Lastly, love ya guts Manly!!!
Incredibly insightful and well said.

How come none of the Polynesians were not in that photo? They make up more than half the team. Or did they decline?

I don't work for the club, so unable to provide you with an answer. But feel free to reach out to the club and let us know their response.

The club should get Ian Roberts to talk to the 7 ASAP before Thursday
and talk some sense into them

FFS it is just a jersey They are not being asked to attend a function at the tool shed or scooter bar after the game

I'm over the hypocrisy. I see it from both sides. Ultimately, the club wasn't exactly being 'inclusive' when they opted to exclude the playing group from any form of discussion surrounding this decision.
Those who have been discriminating against players who have made a stand on the back of their beliefs don't recognise that's as disagreeable as discriminating against someones sexual preference.

We appreciate GREATLY the contribution that women, Indigenous people and ANZACs have made to both the game of Rugby League and to our society in general. I'm sorry, but to compare the contribution that the LGBTQI+ community has made to rugby league and to society in general, is ridiculous.

Do you genuinely believe that?

The club should get Ian Roberts to talk to the 7 ASAP before Thursday
and talk some sense into them

FFS it is just a jersey They are not being asked to attend a function at the tool shed or scooter bar after the game
Ian Roberts is NOT a club icon. He walked out and left the club in a the lurch when her opted to take the super league dollars.

I know of one Polynesian ex NRL manly player who should be proudly donning this jersey..

770d0104aaca47adad9343c46b809877.jpeg

Those who have been discriminating against players who have made a stand on the back of their beliefs don't recognise that's as disagreeable as discriminating against someones sexual preference.
Good morning, Commander. I addressed this point earlier this morning, so I'll just cut and paste again here for convenience. Cheers.

Important difference between those with fundamental christian beliefs and the LGBTIQ community... one group has a presence and acceptance within league. That group feels safe enough to take a knee in prayer circles at the end of games, to acknowledge their god after scoring a try, to express their appreciation to god verbally during interviews... and it is accepted by all. Players do not walk off the field or boycott games because of this. Nor do we need a promotional round or jersey to promote it. It is fully accepted.

The other group has no visibility, no presence. There is no safe space of acceptance within league for them. That is well supported by the fact that only one gay man has come out in our league history. It's also supported by the $hitstorm that has been kicked up by this jersey as opposed to any other minority cause or alcohol/gambling that has been promoted in recent past.

Yes, freedom of speech goes both ways. However, what most people, whom bandy about that slogan, leave out is that with freedom of speech comes responsibility and consequences. Say what you want but at the end of the day we have to work out how to live in community as fellow humans. Therefore, there will always be compromises. The question is, given the diametrically opposed views in this current debate, which side do you choose to live by?

Should be fairly obvious now with the general or sporting public and in regard to the personal or individual beliefs of the 7 playing group unsettled at the moment . Again 3 already having a change of heart and prepared to help their team mates and represent their club and employer . If again three can do it or manage a reconciled position and be able to come to terms with it , should be a relatively easy step for the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8