Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is more than a bit extreme. So if there's a group that has a belief or an opinion different to yours they should be hounded out of the game? That's not very inclusive. Doesn't "inclusive" apply to everyone? Clearly not.

SER8 replied .. in a thread dealing with 7 poynesians protesting the pride jersey ... that yes some groups don't deserve inclusiveness . ..

Of course not! You think we should include nazis and the Ku Klux Klan so as not to offend Jew-haters and Blacks? Come on!

I responded ..

so now ... any polynesian with strong convictions is being compared to Nazi's and the Ku Klux Kan ....

One of your best ...

That's what you got out of his post? Wow

Please explain what I should have gotten out of Ser8's post ..

I don’t know if this is the right place to post it, but I’m dissapointed in the fact I fork out hard earned for a jersey birthday gift for my son which is barely worn! We must have had 6 different jerseys this year. He wears his jersey each game only to see sone crappy blue strip, and a black one with sponsors slogan. This year seems to be worse than others for all these different jerseys. Imo it should be Indigenous, home and away and that’s it. Ps I support the cause and think they could put on a really great show on game night that would be awesome. With flag handouts in the crowd, parade with colours etc. just dont think the jersey needs to change.

Mate there's not many atrocities around the world more shameful than Australia's treatment of asylum seekers, or the incarceration rate of our First Nations people. Talk about an embarrassment on the world stage. Aside from that though I don't really understand your point, sorry.
Mate you understand my point in your kind of way. The first few sentences of your post say that loud and clear. I was just trying to see if you could could associate any deplorable behaviour on the left side of the spectrum as I sensed a possible bias ( no offence intended) just being honest.

If the jersey is about inclusiveness, which they’ve said it is “everybody” jersey oppose to pride jersey. I genuinely do not understand anyone’s objections on religious or cultural grounds. It’s about saying: “it doesn’t matter what your into, that’s ok, come along have fun.”

It’s not advocating homosexuality, it’s advocating tolerance. Now, you can say “well you should tolerate my opposition”… BUT, look what that has caused… twitter and the news is a storm of negative stories and hurt people by this. Whereas, for a brief moment Manly should of been the pride of the league for doing something the NRL hasn’t been brave enough to do. But now, 7 players are threatening to undo all that, and tarnish the club.

You can’t hide behind religion when the club tries to be inclusive whilst running out onto 4Pines park in a pointsbet jersey. Surely being open minded and welcoming to all is a better way to get people to come to your church/way of thinking than causing pain for a moral “high” ground.

Rugby league, manly and even society can be so much better than this. Hopefully everyone has a good think and sleep, and realise you can have your morals and be accepting of others.

Wear the bloody rainbow jersey with pride on Thursday. And hopefully brookie oval is a sea of bloody rainbows. Because the world is **** enough without us crapping on each other and hurting more people.

The pride jersey is actually very subtle and so borders on homophobic.. if you really want to take a stance I would prefer this jersey

ymfazm1614677154709.jpg

The colours mean something. The flip side is for those who may not share that view they dont want to wear it. Two freedoms here are clashing
The colours (I think) mean that everyone is entitled to their sexuality without harassment and discrimination. For those who do not share that view - they think your sexuality wrong and you aren't entitled to it. Or worse, it is abhorent and an affront to God (or whatever). These people are not espousing a freedom. They are espousing opposition to a freedom. Aren't they?

I was just trying to see if you could could associate any deplorable behaviour on the left side of the spectrum as I sensed a possible bias ( no offence intended) just being honest
Hmm. If it helps at all, I blame the so-called left for pretty much everything, in particular for their failure to call out injustice in any principled fashion. A duly elected Whitlam shouldn't have accepted his dismissal by the bloody Queen's top-hatted drunk of a representative. And Trump could never have been possible if not for the pathetic betrayal of working people by generations of Democrats.

NRL is often viewed as a bit of a thugs game and the crowds are a bit rough.
Nothing wrong with that as I’m used to it.
BUT..I’m also a sensitive modern kind of guy and I have friends of all backgrounds and walks of life & id love for them to see how awesome my Manly NRL family is, and by showing support for something like this would open doors to more fans AND I’d be so proud of our club as being the progressive one.

The colours (I think) mean that everyone is entitled to their sexuality without harassment and discrimination. For those who do not share that view - they think your sexuality wrong and you aren't entitled to it. Or worse, it is abhorent and an affront to God (or whatever). These people are not espousing a freedom. They are espousing opposition to a freedom. Aren't they?
Im gonna play devils advocate.

I'm assuming these 7 players are islanders, now the islander players were very welcoming to the indigenous strip we played in against the storm, how would they had felt if the anglo players in our side refused to play in it? How is it different?

The players stance has changed my view, this morning I was Meh not another bloody jersey but over the day I have reflected, Ian Roberts is one of the toughest players to ever don the maroon and white and for the most part he did that while concealing who he was like he had at Souths. Something at his time at Manly made him comfortable to go public with who he was sexually. For that reason I think its great that another bloody jersey is an LGBT Jersey and the first club to wear one is the only club to have a player feel at ease to come out while playing there. Only thing is will be referring to it as the Robbo jersey.

7 guys don’t like the rainbow jumper...I’m not losing any sleep over it. I hope no gays are either.

I couldn’t agree more. People are entitled to their sexuality and acceptance in our society. There is so much more to a persons identity than there desires. I mean the things we can control about ourselves say like our character. I really don’t care or want to know about peoples personal sexual desires as long they have a genuine right to them. I don’t really want to see any groups sexual desires on a footy jersey though.

I couldn’t agree more. People are entitled to their sexuality and acceptance in our society. There is so much more to a persons identity than there desires. I mean the things we can control about ourselves say like our character. I really don’t care or want to know about peoples personal sexual desires as long they have a genuine right to them. I don’t really want to see any groups sexual desires on a footy jersey though.
Agreed, most people would... that's why there is not a picture of gay sex on the jersey... (I assume)

Saw a bunch of posts in the Club News thread but this deserves its own thread really.
It's quite clear there's a few who are terrified of their own latent homosexuality, hahaha.
Less funny is the idea that we must not support oppressed minorities lest that offend the bigots, whom we must appease because, well, actually I couldn't quite understand the end of that line of thought.
Then we have the no politics in sport slogan. That one is certainly humorous.
And even a few Izzie Folou fans, who seem to say we must stand up for the rights of religious bigots because they have feelings too. Gotta admit I've never really been swayed by that 'argument', lol.

Anyway carry on in either thread, i just thought a separate might be handy, if only for posterity :)

Oh yeah, nearly forgot - i actually saw posts wondering if there hadn't been any gay footy player since Ian Roberts, and saying there is so much tolerance noawadays that of course gays can come out whenever they like without repercussions. Uh uh. There are plenty but they are terrified of what would happen to them. And reading some of the views of our very own ST members i can't rally blame them!

“LGBTIQA people have always been a part of sport but haven’t always been allowed the visibility,” said former Manly forward Ian Roberts
" I just thought a separate might be handy, if only for posterity :)"-------yeah that was your only thought to separate.

SER8 replied .. in a thread dealing with 7 poynesians protesting the pride jersey ... that yes some groups don't deserve inclusiveness . ..

I responded ..

Please explain what I should have gotten out of Ser8's post ..
I think Woodsie's inference is not an unreasonable stretch. Its a fair argument in the light of what was said. I've read much more unreasonable things said on the forum this afternoon. SEr8 is the one who used Godwin's Law, not Woodsie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4