Poker Nights

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher

Poker nights, golf days and ping-pong: Mateship driving Manly revival​

If Manly’s players looked a little weary on Friday, it was for a good reason. And it wasn’t the normal rugby league after-dark madness.

Several Manly players did not go to bed until after midnight because they were playing poker at Tom Trbojevic’s house. They played for money. As if Turbo needs any more.

A few weeks earlier, more than a dozen Sea Eagles spent their day off at Campbelltown, where front-rower Josh Aloiai lives, playing the video game FIFA.
There have also been card games at Taniela Paseka’s place; a trivia night hosted by Trbojevic and his brother Jake; competitive games of table tennis; and a round of golf, when a few players were contenders for being charged with grade-three reckless swinging.

There were two storylines coming out of the northern beaches during the off-season. The first was Tom Trbojevic’s dodgy hamstrings and his trip to see reconditioning guru Bill Knowles. The second was how new coach Anthony Seibold had made bringing the players together a priority after the pride jersey fiasco had, apparently, divided the group.
There was a three-day army camp in Mudgee before Christmas and a pig on a spit, which was wheeled out one night at Brookvale as a show of appreciation to the club’s large Polynesian contingent.
Happy campers ... Haumole Olakau’atu and Daly Cherry-Evans embrace.

Happy campers ... Haumole Olakau’atu and Daly Cherry-Evans embrace.Credit: Getty
It was all designed to bring the players together.
Even Manly owner Scott Penn was struck by the bond between the players during their trial win over the Roosters in February.

“We needed someone who could help galvanise [the group] and get the younger players to believe in themselves and bring them through,” he said. “Anthony is doing a terrific job.”
Last year was last year. The inclusivity jersey fiasco thrust the spotlight onto a problem that was already festering. Seven players refused to wear the club’s rainbow-themed jersey, which was, ironically, designed to celebrate diversity and inclusivity.
Josh Aloiai, Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega and Jason Saab after last week’s win against the Storm.

Josh Aloiai, Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega and Jason Saab after last week’s win against the Storm.Credit: NRL Photos
The players did not hate each other, but they barely associated off the field. And with former coach Des Hasler being a strict disciplinarian, the mood in the change room was never going to lighten.
This is not a story about Hasler. Dessie has enjoyed success, and will enjoy success whenever he and his wonderful hair pop up in the NRL again.

This is a yarn about how Manly became mates, and how the off-field friendships are driving their resurgence on the field.
The Sea Eagles go into Sunday’s clash with the battling Wests Tigers a point outside the top four. Depending on results, they could head into Magic Round chasing top spot.
Manly players drag a five-tonne truck, loaded with another two tonnes of equipment, through the bush near Mudgee.

Manly players drag a five-tonne truck, loaded with another two tonnes of equipment, through the bush near Mudgee.Credit: Cameron Doyle
It’s a scenario that seemed a world away when they lost their final seven matches and missed the finals last season.
Aloiai was among the players who finished up late at Trbojevic’s pad. He told The Sun-Herald it was unlikely he would have done such a thing this time last year.

“A happy group makes good footballers,” Aloiai says. “We’ve spent a lot of time together, and we are tighter than we’ve ever been.
“It’s funny how much you turn up for your mates on the field when you have those closer bonds off the field. You understand your teammates a lot more when you understand where they come from, how they were brought up and what makes them tick and why.
‘The golf day was fun. I played with Josh. He had the most unco-ordinated swing I’ve seen.’
Tom Trbojevic
“Even for me, it’s been surprising how much of a difference being well connected makes.
“It starts at the top. I give big praise to Seibs [Seibold] and the rest of the coaching staff.

“The leaders are trying to drive it now. Whether I host something at my house – we had a big FIFA tournament running at my place with most of the boys coming out to my place – or Turbo hosts things; we’re trying to organise different things for the whole group.
“It didn’t happen last year. It wasn’t one of our priorities, put it that way.”
Aaron Woods (right) has been impressed by the spirit of togetherness at Manly since his arrival from the Dragons.

Aaron Woods (right) has been impressed by the spirit of togetherness at Manly since his arrival from the Dragons.Credit: NRL Photos
Aloiai was painted as the ringleader of the seven Polynesian players who refused to wear the inclusivity jersey because of their Christian beliefs.
The jersey was the beginning of the end for Manly’s season, and ultimately cost Hasler his job.

You have to wonder if the same thing would have happened had the Manly players known each other as well as they do now.
There was never a wedge between the Pacific Islanders and the rest of the Sea Eagles. Aloiai says it was a lazy narrative that should never have taken off the way it did.
Trbojevic said Seibold had been big on “connection”, and he would have pushed that mantra, regardless of what happened towards the end of last season.
“That’s the type of coach Seibs is,” Trbojevic says. “Some boys are closer than others, which happens at every workplace. It’s not compulsory for everyone to turn up to these events, but it’s been great.
“I remember going to Mudgee and we were speaking about trying to put something on at least once a month. The golf day was fun. I played with Josh. He had the most unco-ordinated swing I’ve seen.”

Aaron Woods arrived a couple of weeks ago from St George Illawarra and was struck by the happy camp at Brookvale.
There were a few players he already knew, including Aloiai, who was starting out at the Tigers when he was captain.
“We used to call Josh ‘Hums’ because he was so humble – but he’s not humble now,” Woods quips.
“I walked in here the first day and he sent me a text asking me to get him a latte with one sugar and a bacon and egg roll with barbecue sauce. He’s one of the leaders now and the alpha male.

“But this joint has been unbelievable. Sometimes a change is what you need.”
Manly have had just that.

Pretty sure the team 10-15 years ago use to do the same thing and played poker at Beavers house.
The team back then seem mostly happy and would go that extra mile in games to not let their mates down.

Seems to be working with the current squad, last few years the players didn't really seem to be mates, just blokes who worked together but now it seems they have a complete different attitude compared to the last few seasons.

I wasn't sure about sacking Des and replacing him with Seibold but at the moment it looks like it was the right decision.

Last edited:
Sounds similar to the good old days where Beaver menzies held poker games and the boys like Watmough, The Stewart bros and others all got along to play, building mateship and comradery off the field.
The importance of having a solid ground of mates, relationships and disciplines off field is Massive and builds the culture required to go to battle protecting your mate and knowing with 100% confidence, they have your back.
personally a big fan of this and about time Manly got a feel good story, in a way makes me sick....bring back the hate :happy:

Interesting again the discussion around Josh A.

He was absolutely slandered by the Silvertails faithful last year , painted as the ring leader , the disrupter , and a player who should never pull on a Manly jersey again, nicknamed “ the pastor “ by some over his fanatical religious beliefs.

At the time I was one of only a few who suggested that he was simply , as the oldest , was the senior player made to answer questions.

Some will still hate him , but this , and a few other stories on recent times , tell a very different story from the one being peddled on here last year.

Sounds similar to the good old days where Beaver menzies held poker games and the boys like Watmough, The Stewart bros and others all got along to play, building mateship and comradery off the field.
The importance of having a solid ground of mates, relationships and disciplines off field is Massive and builds the culture required to go to battle protecting your mate and knowing with 100% confidence, they have your back.
personally a big fan of this and about time Manly got a feel good story, in a way makes me sick....bring back the hate :happy:
Building a competent squad of premiership winning players is the key to wining a premiership

Mate ship is a good thing and can only take you so far but if you dont have the Matchwinning cattle accross the field it is a very big task to win the big prize

I was talking to Manly premiership winning Golden Eagles and they told me that off field mate ship was not always possible with every player and I could understand this as there will always be personality differences and clashes with all human beings even in their own family with their own parents and siblings for example

But they told me that their premiership winning coaches built the premiership winning Morale on the training field and of the field on Game day and made them focus the importance of winning together and fighting together for the one cause that they all wear the Manly Jesrey and that is to win a premiership together

Take for example the State of Origin teams . QLD and NSW players that play for different clubs and are not very matey are brought together for the cause of winning for their states Jersey and winning the series

The moral of the story
We can not choose our own family or team mates but we can choose to focus and fight for our family cause and for our professional statues cause
Mate ship alone can not win you premierships
But the quality of the players and the determination in fighting for the cause that they believe does the job
2193597-Grover-Cleveland-Quote-A-cause-worth-fighting-for-is-worth.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see more comeradery compared to last year's shambles. I still worry about that 1st half vs the riff. We'll see in the next 3 games how well defensively we are travelling. Tigpies will throw everything at us, Titans we always have trouble with at home, and the donkeys at "magic broncos" round will be huge test.

Good to see more comeradery compared to last year's shambles. I still worry about that

Some times too much drinking , partying and games comeradery off the field can cause complacency on it and that can also be a factor in taking games lightly .

We saw what all the off the field drinking buddies comeradery with Trent Barret did on the field

The Trent drinking and the buddy group bonding honesty confession sessions after every loss

Last edited:
All NRL teams have off field bonding sessions but not all team will have a successful season
But the teams with the most competent coach and competent on field performing players
Will be the most successful teams

He was absolutely slandered by the Silvertails faithful last year , painted as the ring leader , the disrupter , and a player who should never pull on a Manly jersey again, nicknamed “ the pastor “ by some over his fanatical religious beliefs.

At the time I was one of only a few who suggested that he was simply , as the oldest , was the senior player made to answer questions.

Some will still hate him , but this , and a few other stories on recent times , tell a very different story from the one being peddled on here last year.

I am not a fan of his football.

He seems full of talk but has gone missing too often in the past, look no further than recent matches (2 and 3 weeks ago). But if they are only as good as their last match he is up there at the moment.

These type of players rarely change and the league is full of them. Leaders Like Jake and Cam Murray are few and far between.

On the one hand, I like reading positive article about manly. But on the other hand, I can’t help but think we have achieved nothing and articles like this might only make the team complacent.

Agree mate…..I nicknamed him the Pastor during that time & consider him one of Manly’s leaders. He’s humble & no matter his beliefs he is a nice bloke! Also think he plays pretty well quite often. No one player is perfect! Not even Jake who has cost us more games than Josh!

Last edited:
The press does seem to be pumping up our tryes this week. The SMH even has 2 positive articles on the same day. Something smells bad.

And as @mickqld noted, they need to stay away from the news articles and focus on these next 3 games coz they're real problem games. We need to win at least 2 of them - I cant see us winning all 3.

And just on the poker nights - I wonder if they play for money coz if you're playing the million dollar salary boys, you're already at a disadvantage. Good luck anteing up if youre a base salary player against Tom @:D

The press does seem to be pumping up our tryes this week. The SMH even has 2 positive articles on the same day. Something smells bad.

And as @mickqld noted, they need to stay away from the news articles and focus on these next 3 games coz they're real problem games. We need to win at least 2 of them - I cant see us winning all 3.

And just on the poker nights - I wonder if they play for money coz if you're playing the million dollar salary boys, you're already at a disadvantage. Good luck anteing up if youre a base salary player against Tom @:D
In my younger years I used to play Pontoon / Poker with a bunch of mates once a month.

We’d all got busy in our lives ( work & kids ) and thought this was a great way of having some fun and staying in touch.

We could only bet 20 cents a card ( this was the 1980’s) and you never lost big money nor won big money , it was more about “ the beers & cheers “ so I reckon they’d set some limits and the younger guys would be fine.

Once footballers reach the elite level you need an edge to win. Comradery and the players feeling like a valued and important part of the group provides the perfect environment for them to produce their best for the team. Yes you need special talent but you need a good team effort to capitalise on it. DCE needs to be patient today and control his team and the game. No mistakes and smart footy is required.

Mark, I'm sure he was nicknamed the pastor because he has stated that he wants to become one and is studying to become one .... its great to see that damaging event is now all in the past and the team have become just that a team, our team.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2