Please, let the love affair end

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I just think your looking at things too simplistically----see an error and that is the cause---or see an error and what transpires directly afterwards is the defining moment for the days events.

Teams will make errors but you can reduce the impact each error has on the outcome by making them either with good field position or bad field position but plenty in the tank to defend the error---its more about being pro-active and promoting a good platform that can compensate for the up and downs in a game.

Complaining about "what if" this mistake did not happen or this bad pass was not thrown or the refs were one sided gets you nowhere.

I would also like to add that i think its time for the NRL to add a 5m red zone in front of the try line where any ball caught on the full is a 20m restart----teams are too easily getting repeat sets with landing balls a metre or two away from the try line----i dont mind skilled grubbers into the in goal as it requires more skill and talent to pull it off.

There is too much of an each way upside with shallow bombs--with forward moving players a big chance to score and defenders basically have no chance of not being pushed in goal. I think limiting the each way upside will see a reduction in tries from kicks which i think the game needs.

TC - like the idea of limiting tries from shallow bombs. Easiest way of changing things would be to allow the defending team to change direction to block run. However, either side should be penalised.for knocking someone out of the way.

Technical Coach said:
I would also like to add that i think its time for the NRL to add a 5m red zone in front of the try line where any ball caught on the full is a 20m restart----teams are too easily getting repeat sets with landing balls a metre or two away from the try line----i dont mind skilled grubbers into the in goal as it requires more skill and talent to pull it off.

There is too much of an each way upside with shallow bombs--with forward moving players a big chance to score and defenders basically have no chance of not being pushed in goal. I think limiting the each way upside will see a reduction in tries from kicks which i think the game needs.

This I really like. Would love it if the NRL adopted a rule along those lines.

Technical Coach said:
I just think your looking at things too simplistically----see an error and that is the cause---or see an error and what transpires directly afterwards is the defining moment for the days events.

Teams will make errors but you can reduce the impact each error has on the outcome by making them either with good field position or bad field position but plenty in the tank to defend the error---its more about being pro-active and promoting a good platform that can compensate for the up and downs in a game.

Complaining about "what if" this mistake did not happen or this bad pass was not thrown or the refs were one sided gets you nowhere.

Feel better?
A voice challenging your theories = simplistic and complaining.
QED.

Technical Coach said:

If only Foran & Cherry knew how simple and unskillful it is to guarantee a repeat set. Heck, why have playmakers at all? Just hit it up and get the frontrowers to pop those unskillful kicks in.
Dessie clearly hasn't got the hang of this coaching business yet.

Kicking with that precision is skillful, no real margin for error. And that was another big reason NSW had no ball. Qld's kicking game was superb throughout the series.

It's the failure to contest the ball that's negative. Reward the accuracy of the kick and discourage non-contests by having the defending side play the ball 10 metres out when they catch it on the full in the field of play and are subsequently tackled in their own in goal. Similar to when the attacking side is held up over the line.

• 👍
Reactions: R3
Rex, you can't just take out players stuff ups and then say it's an even slate. Lockyer's stuff up gifted NSW a try. It's the whole game one looks at and NSW just didn't have the plan in SOO 3. As I blogged, Qld played poorly in the first two games and still won one. They were always going to adjust to the little man game plan, and as anyone knows, big forwards win over little forwards. Qld ran straight and hard and rolled NSW, end of story. Stuart surprised us all, but not in the decider. Qld adjusted.
And, as one goes up for a catch, it's difficult to then land on your face. Minichello always seems to arc in his run back. That was the problem. He turned and raced across hoping to outsprint the oncoming attackers. Not really his fault. I thought TC's thoughts on the yardage game were correct. Morris shouldn't have been selected by Stuart in the first place.

That's all well and good DSM, except that I didn't once mention anything about any "even slate".

Once again, what I said was lack of possession killed NSW. A miracle that they got within 10 points given the possession differential, and Qld's talent, and their redhot kicking game. Sometimes EVERYTHING clicks for one team, like Penrith's game against Manly last year.

I know you and TC are desperate to promote the conclusions you formed before the game that NSW needed bigger forwards. That may or may not be true. But that was no game to draw any such conclusions on. It's as spurious as blaming King for lack of hitups in game one when NSW simply didn't have the ball when he was on the field.

If it was as simple as having bigger forwards, then why had we previously lost 5 series straight, plus the first game of this series with that tactic?

The Eagle said:
.... but ffs i learnt to back up in under 10s as a f**king prop,i backed up no matter what number was on my back (For the record,10,2,1,13,6,7,9,14 from U/10s to A Grade)

Never smart enough to play in the centres Shane ?

I fully appreciate the skill level that’s required to land any type of kick between 2-3m from the try line but in relative terms it is easier to accomplish than a well weighted grubber or a creative set play grubber.

The shallow cross field kicks have way too many upsides and "most" teams are utilising and benefiting from the ploy 1-2 times a game(and attempting the play probably double that each game) from either a try or gaining a repeat set.

Lack of possession almost always has its reasons beyond just a simple "we could not hold the ball" QLD's intensity and aggressiveness combined with great go forward increased the likelihood of these events occurring---the more you apply any sort of pressure the more risks the opposition takes and under fatigue its more likely to happen.

I totally agree with your opinion on King and the lack of hit ups---in this instance your looking deeper into the stats and coming up with a reason why there was a lack of hit ups not just relying on the stats to speak for themselves.

I'm not just saying bigger forwards was the only reason---there is no point having big forwards if your go forward structures and lack of class at hooker struggle to make use of them. Combine small fowards with ineffective creative go forward structures with an average hooker and your asking for big trouble. In the end no matter what team NSW put forward they lacked the talent this current QLD squad has at its disposal so it was always going to be a struggle. If it was just a case of evenly talented teams and passion being the difference i doubt any squad would win 6 series alone just on passion.

I cant prove online my thoughts above were not made with the benefit of hindsight other than the people who know me and I could care less to prove myself to anyone in a fan forum---all I’m doing is stating my views take it as you please.

I never really take much interest in the build up of the first Origin game---not really into Origin as much as the NRL but formed my opinions during the first game.

To me the spiritual home of Origin is QLD the spiritual home of Rugby League is the NRL/ARL NSW so QLD's will always have that little bit more passion for the game---i could care less other than hoping its a good game with the Blues hopefully winning.

In the end the more Redneck ones population is the more passionate they are over things that dont matter--- its just nice to give them a dose of reality every now and then and remind QLD's life is more than just about Origin. LOL

Our fastest players were the centres,this utility never played there as our injuries never came there,if i watched saints id never have passed

Just got to be patient. NSW will finally win it next year.

If we maintain the core team. Add in Dugan or Snake at full back with 2 props (Snowden, Larrs or Sims). Every forward must follow Gallen and give it everything. We'll have te home ground advantage.

They will sorely miss the great Darren Lockyer, who controls the game so well.

Brookvale said:
Just got to be patient. NSW will finally win it next year.

If we maintain the core team. Add in Dugan or Snake at full back with 2 props (Snowden, Larrs or Sims). Every forward must follow Gallen and give it everything. We'll have te home ground advantage.

They will sorely miss the great Darren Lockyer, who controls the game so well.

afraid not,game in melbourne at AAMI.....wasted home game

IMO one game from every Origin series should be taken to Perth/Adelaide/Melbourne. Helping the game gain greater exposure if far more important than giving some extra 20,000 bleeding heart Queenslanders a midweek game.

The NSW forward pack is fine, we just need another prop to stand up & be a decent performer at the level (hopefully Snowden). Snake takes his FB spot back & Mullen walks into the #7. I'd love for Campo to come back strong enough to get Soward dropped as well, but I can't see it happening.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8