Players we should let go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ceagle

Bencher
To keep both Foran and DCE we are going to need to let a few players go. These are the players off contract this years

Kieran Foran, Ben Farrar, Jorge Taufua, Matt Ballin, Liam Foran, Darcy Lussick, Michael McDougall, Michael Oldfield, Brett Stewart, Dean Whare, David Williams

Let go

Brett 500k
maybe Glenn aswell 300k
David Williams 200k
Lussick 100k

We only need to clear out some space for the next 2 years, then backload DCE and Foran's contracts.

I don't know about letting Glenn go he is a very important part of the side. Hopefully we can keep all of them, in all honesty if the player I'd let go of is Matai but he is signed up for a while i think.

Good thread. Don't forget Joe's off contract end 2012 too.

My votes to let go would be - Joe (on ?), Brett (currently on $450K) sad to say but that's life and Lussick ($100K) - in order to keep DCE & Foran. Surely those $$ would make the difference.

Wouldn't be happy letting Glenn go though, or Wolfman.

Cletus said:
I don't know about letting Glenn go he is a very important part of the side. Hopefully we can keep all of them, in all honesty if the player I'd let go of is Matai but he is signed up for a while i think.

Agree about Glenn. Matai is signed to 2014 ($250K/yr), thankfully.

Cletus said:

Matai took a pay cut to stay with the club last time, I'd like to think with all these current drawn out contract negotiations still going on, that type of loyalty would be rewarded.

manlyborn said:
Cletus said:

Matai took a pay cut to stay with the club last time, I'd like to think with all these current drawn out contract negotiations still going on, that type of loyalty would be rewarded.

Ok I didn't realise that. Lyon will be moving on in a couple of years, that should free up some money. The thing with letting players like Gulavou go is that he isn't on much more than minimum wage whereas letting Brett go frees up $250k or more. It's always hard with the salary cap but we seem to get by with cheaper props that do the business. So I don't think there we should be competing with other teams for Lussick if he gets a good offer.

How deep is our winger stocks? some people arent happy with Oldfield and im assuming Whare will take Lyons spot in a year or two. can we afford to cut Wolf? He has spent alot of time on the sidelines I dont think his asking price would be too high

Why dont we just wait and see what the people in charge do. Nobody knows who's on what $$$.

WE have an absolute steamtrain coming through in 2nd rower Fabian Goodall who is a Pritchard type player! Don't forget the re-signed SG ball prop Jake who was wanted by everyone. Hearing good things about prop Cunningham as well. Gutherson will be a superstar fullback!! Who knows, maybe Foran at lock and Riccardi slips in at 5/8? Don't forget Liam Higgins who is a star hooker in nsw cup. Lots of options people aren't thinking about! We also have a huge kiwi winger called Patrick Sipley (who is playing lock at present) big fast lad!

What about Princess? How old is he? I thought that Kite and Princess were signed for two years last year.

This is a horrendous subject. I don't want any of them to go, but as an earlier thread points out you need to have 6-10 of your top 25 squad on minimum, or low, wages. Of the 11 players you mentioned I'd think six of them are such players. You could keep all six for the price of one superstar who may miss an entire season through injury. Take that Gordon bloke from Penrith as an example.
I hope we all have confidence in the people in charge at Manly to make the tough calls. Whatever they decide will be for a sound reason. I just suggest to them that they explain their reasons to us before misinformation and hysteria breaks out.

King should stay whatever happens.

Ignoring contracts (ie we are able to release players to the superleague or other clubs without have to pay anyone out) i would let go of

Kite
Rose
Wolfman (unless he takes a downgrade)
Lussick (unfortunately)

i wouldn't be surprised if by toovey changing the pecking order and seeing how these younger guys go ahead of Rose is leading to a 'you are free to look around and if something comes up, take it' message if these younger guys perform to toovey's liking. Can't imagine George being too happy about it and may tell his people to see if there are any offers out there, especially since he probably would be a starting player in some club rosters. At the same time trying to tie up some of these young blokes on decent length deals before their value rises.

Stewarts must and will remain at Manly.

Brett does not have much bargaining power but Glenn is the best forward in the NRL. They need to negotiate a package to stay together. The best and obvious place to do that is as Sea Eagles.

I should state its age and injury that will hold Brett back a little. Ability is without question of course.

The fact that teams are not beating down Brett Stewart's door should put us in a strong bargaining position. The Dragons are not gonna offer him a rich 600,000 dollar deal, let's be realistic. We are in a position of strength with a guy like Gutherson coming through. Do we keep Stewart and let Gutherson go to the Rorters? I know what I would do...

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6