People to know

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I joined here on the silvertails quite late in my support of the mighty sea eagles. I would like to know who on here is an ex manly player? What are peoples connections to this great club?Quite a few on here seem to have connections or are/were affiliated with the club in some way.
Im intrigued to know who am I reading the comments of. Anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated

I don't have any direct link to the club these days, I used to help out with BBQs on fan day's and others back in the day.
With my extended family having an 80 odd year connection to the Northern Beaches quite a few ex players are friends of the family in some capacity.

I don't know that any will come forward. A few did read and comment here but that's petered off a bit.

Also the Facebook groups seem to have more influence these days as I've not had enough time to put into the relationships with the club.

It frustrates me a little that the Facebook groups have so many members get very little good discussion, would love to see the membership grow here to a similar amount, we offer so much more in my opinion

Born in the Shire - junior Shark, but 100% Manly if went further..... career basically over after 3 games Qld Cup - tried coming back the next season in reserve grade for Jets and that was it game over...
No sob stories or regrets, as partied harder than trained, looking back kind of inevitable.
Many good friends went on to play top level footy and 1 still involved in coaching in NRL and a couple are player managers....1 who has some key Seaeagles on the books, I had a few beers with last week....

I had a stellar career playing at high school after forging my mum’s signature on the permission slip as she wouldn’t let me play.

I played like a cross between Steve Menzies and Glenn Stewart with a dash of Cliffy Lyons. If I had a legit permission slip I’d probably be an immortal by now.

I was also very good at ET’s Rugby League and ARL96, regularly winning matches by over 100 points.

If you’d like an autograph just let me know. I like to give back to the people.

I played with the mighty Forrestville Ferrets as a jnr so I'm a bit of a westie.

My biggest sporting claim is having played under Des (Mr) Hasler albeit playing soccer at St Pius X. Back in the day.
A broken back was the end of my footy.

My Dad knew a lot of the people at Manly in the 60's to 80's. Had an opinion on all of them!

My name is james, i know no one, never have . I played league in sydney as a kid, adelaide at 17 and had a few games in brissie mid twenties.

zetland , jnr, penriff waratah juniors, marist brothers pagewood, glenelg and brizzie easts .

Was a grade soccer player until 20yo ... then mates talked me into playing footy ... natural talent saw me play for Presidents Cup (u/21 reps) ... then u/23's and reggies in the 70's ... lack of committent and attitude brought a holt to any further progression .... I once fiqured out 12 players would have to break a leg for me to get a first grade game ....

Always said I wasn't much of a player ... but boy I hung around in the sheds with some bloody good ones .....

Sadly the only contact I have had with the club for the past 20 years is reading the Obits ... bring back memories .... like the recent passing of Lindsay Drake ... used to have a beer with him on occasion at the Harbord Hilton or Manly pacific .... The old Canopus room (The Can) ...

I don't know that any will come forward. A few did read and comment here but that's petered off a bit.

Also the Facebook groups seem to have more influence these days as I've not had enough time to put into the relationships with the club.

It frustrates me a little that the Facebook groups have so many members get very little good discussion, would love to see the membership grow here to a similar amount, we offer so much more in my opinion

Totally agree feathered friend . The Silvertails forum is the heart and soul of our Beloved Manly club supporter base

@The better Robbo , you may get just as many awesome replies as this bright eyed innocent poster did a few years ago.

https://silvertails.net/threads/the-problem-with-being-a-newbie.24794/

tumbleweed.gif~c200

Was a grade soccer player until 20yo ... then mates talked me into playing footy ... natural talent saw me play for Presidents Cup (u/21 reps) ... then u/23's and reggies in the 70's ... lack of committent and attitude brought a holt to any further progression .... I once fiqured out 12 players would have to break a leg for me to get a first grade game ....

Always said I wasn't much of a player ... but boy I hung around in the sheds with some bloody good ones .....

Sadly the only contact I have had with the club for the past 20 years is reading the Obits ... bring back memories .... like the recent passing of Lindsay Drake ... used to have a beer with him on occasion at the Harbord Hilton or Manly pacific .... The old Canopus room (The Can) ...
I would be proud to wear our sacred Manly jumper at any grade . Well done Woodsie ! . Have you any stories about our Incomparable Immortal during the time with our great club ? I heard he was a very dedicated trainer who always stayed back and did extras when training had finished .

I would be proud to wear our sacred Manly jumper at any grade . Well done Woodsie ! . Have you any stories about our Incomparable Immortal during the time with our great club ? I heard he was a very dedicated trainer who always stayed back and did extras when training had finished .

Didn't spend much time with Bob other than passing in the dressing sheds ... I was just a young wannabe ... however my mother, a mad 5'2" Scotswoman had a regular spot in the Jane Try stand ... and after every game would tell me to give Bob some of her advice on how to play ... one day for a joke I did .. he stood listening to me for about 30 seconds, nodding thoughtfully .. it then became a bit of a laugh for him to ask me if my mom had any tips ... best memories of Bob were around the Freshie surf club where he and Knoxie and the big boys hung out ...

Edit ... yeah he was a great trainer, and recognised as probably the first full time professional player .... then he was paid by the Army to also train full time at North head during his conscription .....

Didn't spend much time with Bob other than passing in the dressing sheds ... I was just a young wannabe ... however my mother, a mad 5'2" Scotswoman had a regular spot in the Jane Try stand ... and after every game would tell me to give Bob some of her advice on how to play ... one day for a joke I did .. he stood listening to me for about 30 seconds, nodding thoughtfully .. it then became a bit of a laugh for him to ask me if my mom had any tips ... best memories of Bob were around the Freshie surf club where he and Knoxie and the big boys hung out ...

Edit ... yeah he was a great trainer, and recognised as probably the first full time professional player .... then he was paid by the Army to also train full time at North head during his conscription .....
Thanks for sharing . Your Mum sounds like a great character as well as a very passionate Manly fan . Giving advice to the Immortal is GOLD !!! lol .
In life the most valuable things we take with us is memories and Manly memories mean a lot to passionate fans .

I played for the Kingfishers in the local comp. Made a Year 6 northern sydney region PSSA rep team with the beaver if I can find the team photo I’ll post it . Of course over the next years our careers took a different path but I reckon I had his measure as a 12 yr old

The ones that are sharing Thankyou. I respect some dont wanna come forward but You'd think if you had a connection or a history with this great club you would be proud to share. As a few may already know I am proud to say who I am, as the name suggests (The better Robbo) I am the twin bro of Michael Robertson or as we call him Mick. I played junior Raiders with "Mick" for 7 years from under 13s to reserve grade but quit when i was 22 due to back to back knee recos.
Each to their own I guess but hopefully more are willing to share their connections to the mighty sea eagles #2019premiers

Last edited:
You'd think if you had a connection or a history with this great club you would be proud to share. As a few may already know I am proud to say who I am, as the name suggests (The better Robbo) I am the twin bro of Michael Robertson or as we call him Mick. I played junior Raiders with "Mick" for 7 years but quit when i was 22 due to back to back knee recos.
Each to their own I guess but just thought that people would be happy and willing ti share their connections to the mighty sea eagles #2019premiers

I thought so as well but it seems we're the last of the 'say nothing' generation, where-as on facebook and twitter, it's all info up for grabs.

Maybe if Manly win people will be happy to share.

Or, we are all like that global guy, never did anything in rugby league.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4