Penalised for playing the ball?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Cherry tried to milk that, and got pinged.

That's good for the game. Milking should be stamped out.

We are not playing Soccer
What’s he supposed to do?
Wait until the guy laying in the ruck moves out of the way or when the marker that’s “crowding” him says it’s okay to play the ball.
Yeah, he made a hash of it but the point is he shouldn’t be in a position that he’s thinking of milking it because of what the defence are doing in the ruck...and the dumb thing is he can’t challenge the penalty.
I’m willing to bet that a similar situation won’t be called a penalty again this year, an incorrect play the ball and scrum maybe but a penalty? You’ve got to be kidding, it’s a massive call that shouldn’t be made.
But that’s where we are at the moment, we’re getting penalised when they’re laying the ruck.

DCE is well within his rights to play the ball as hard as he likes. There is NO RULE ANYWHERE that states otherwise. If someone is laying in the ruck well that's their problem. There are rules for laying in the ruck though. If someone on here knows more then please correct me.

I didn't like the Latrell 10 in the bin. DCE was touched by Latrell but dived. So long as they are consistent on it but we all know they won't be.

But on the play the ball penalty, why is the referee allowed to call a player a cheat and question their integrity? We all know what happens when a player questions the refs integrity.

He should’ve taken a step back and implanted his boot right on top of Murrays face. Sure, you’ll still get penalised. But guarantee you, Cam Murray will be rolling out of the ruck area real bloody quick after that.

I agree with the ruling but also agree with the fact it's the first time I've seen it applied in over 1000 similar situations, question is - will it be the first and last time this penalty is given...

Was there any comment from Warren Smith and Enasta
Yes, they mentioned that the ref was talking to Cherry from the moment the niggle started in the tackle - the push and shove was with Cody Walker, I think - and telling him to get on with it and play the ball. Cherry was pissed that he wasn't getting the penalty he wanted so he figured he'd have another go at getting one. Instead, he got penalised, and rightly so. He was taking the piss.

That doesn't mean Sutton isn't a joke of a ref, by the way. Just in that particular case Cherry was a dick and got pinged for it.

Never in my lifetime did I think I would see a player penalised for milking because they played the ball too fast... The milking rule was brought in to prevent dummy halves from deliberately passing into a player trying to get out of the ruck.
agree totally - he could not have played the ball because Murray was lying across the ruck - had he played it where he was "supposed to he plays it on Murray's leg. Now did he play the ball for the penalty and step forward - you bet he did but he was within his rights to do so. Is he supposed to wait for Murray to move? At worst it should have been just replay the play the ball but that was a Manly penalty all day every day. He exaggerated it - sure but he had no other option. Ludicrous and again a very contentious penalty that cost us as we were on the attack and were finally getting some ball. Mind you we probably drop it next play but we needed the pill badly then.

I'm not sure what Sutton thought the alternative was? Slow the play the ball down? Wait for the defender to clear the ruck? Its an absolute joke of a decision. The way the game is played, the players all should be trying to get quick play the balls in. If the ref though he stepped forward off the mark then in all other situations this year i have seen refs make the player go back to the mark and play it again. I cant fathom how playing the ball like that is against the spirit of the game when all teams try to do that 200 times a game.

DCE should have just played where he was and trampled the sh1t out of Murray. By taking the step forward over him it made it look more of a milk.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8