Paul Kent in trouble again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member

NRL commentator Paul Kent dismissed from job after charge over Sydney brawl​

Footy commentator and columnist Paul Kent has lost his job after footage of him allegedly involved in a street brawl in Sydney was made public.
NewsWire

NRL commentator and columnist Paul Kent has parted ways with News Corp after video of him allegedly involved in a fight with another man outside a Sydney restaurant was made public.

Police allege Mr Kent and a 35-year-old man became involved in a verbal argument that turned physical outside Totti’s Rozelle about 11pm on April 27.

Widely shared video from the night purported to show staff and patrons trying to hold Mr Kent back at one point on the night.
He was charged with a single count of affray, and the charge remains before the court.

A video has surfaced on social media of what appears to be sports journalist Paul Kent involved in an altercation with another man outside Totti's in Rozelle.

The 54-year-old has not entered any pleas and was stood down from his job as a host of NRL 360 on Fox Sports and from his column in The Daily Telegraph “pending an immediate investigation” a day later.

On Monday, The Australian reported Mr Kent had officially parted ways with News Corp.
Magistrate Scott Nash agreed in May to a six-week adjournment for Mr Kent to receive a treatment plan from his new doctor and dismissed his bail reporting conditions.
A spokesman for News Corp said the company did not comment on employment matters.
Mr Kent’s case returns to court on Wednesday.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member
New details have been revealed about a wild street brawl after rugby league journalist and commentator Paul Kent pleaded guilty to his role, which ended with him being thrown upside down into a tree and suffering serious injuries.
Kent fronted Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday where he failed in a bid to have the charges dealt with on mental health grounds after footage showed him trading punches with another man after an 11-hour drinking session.
Kent was charged with one count of affray after he and another man were involved in a verbal argument that turned physical outside Totti’s Rozelle on April 27.
On Wednesday, Magistrate Jennifer Price dismissed an application to have the charges dismissed under the Mental Health Act before Kent, through his lawyer George Elias, pleaded guilty.
Ms Price did not record a conviction against Kent and sentenced him to a two-year good behaviour bond.
She took into account he suffered significant injuries, including six fractured ribs and a collapsed lung, noting that it was a case of him being his “own worst enemy” after he came off second best.
“It seems Mr Kent has come off significantly worse than the co-accused, having suffered quite severe injuries,” Ms Price said.

The court heard Kent had been drinking for 11 hours at a Rozelle pub and was walking home with friends when the incident occurred.
Widely-shared video showed Kent, 54, landing on his head against a tree after the brawl spilt from the sidewalk onto the street.
The court heard that it was alleged that the other man, Tamer Uzun, asked Kent as he walked past if he was going to the match the following day.
Magistrate Price, reading from a police fact sheet, told the court that after Kent said “no”, it was alleged that Mr Uzun told Kent: “That’s right you like to bash women.”

Journalist Paul Kent made a brief statement to the media after pleading guilty to…

Late last year Mr Kent was found not guilty of allegations he choked and assaulted his then-partner, a result he called a “vindication”.
According to a police fact sheet tendered to the court, Mr Uzun said: “C’mon you weak dog.”
Kent replied: “I’m staying here brother, I’m f***ing standing here f***ing come here now … you dog head.”
The court heard that Kent had reported increasing his alcohol intake since being charged with the domestic violence offences in 2023.
Mr Elias told the court on Wednesday that people still approached him on the streets and made “outrageous” comments about the domestic violence charges despite them being dismissed by a court.

Tamer Uzun was also charged with affray over his alleged involvement in the incident. Picture: NewsWire / John Appleyard.
The magistrate took into account that several people had tried to hold him back, as well as a security guard who tried to stand between him and Mr Uzun.
“People have tried to stop you and a security guard tried to get involved,” Ms Price said.
The court heard that several friends had agreed to write character references in support of Kent, including his former NRL360 co-host Ben Ikin, boxing trainer Johnny Lewis and Fox Sports presenter Yvonne Sampson.
Ms Price took into account that Kent was suffering from major depression disorder and alcohol use disorder at the time.
The 54-year-old was stood down by Fox Sports and the Daily Telegraph after the incident and the court heard that he had since lost his jobs.
Asked by journalists, as he exited court, if he was feeling relieved, Kent said: “I am. It’s all over.”
Mr Uzun, 35, was also charged with affray for his alleged role in the brawl.
He has pleaded not guilty and is due to appear in court again later this month.

47MVEagle

Bencher
I’m glad the judge didn’t pander to his attempt to have it dealt with under the MHA & he was quite clearly drinking heavily on regular occasions well before the DV case against him so I don’t buy the whole “started drinking heavily after it” bit.

Hopefully he’ll seek proper help for his issues but from a comment I read online elsewhere, someone claimed they saw him throwing down schooners at Percy’s just last weekend.

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
If old mate really did ask Kent about whether he was going to the game the following day, which just happened to be the Women in League round, that's a pretty sophisticated, two-stage sledge. No offence to old mate, but it seems pretty unlikely to me. I'm more inclined to believe Kent sparked up of his own accord.

In any case, how long will it be before Kent launches his own "You Can't Cancel Kenty" podcast, railing against the woke agenda on behalf of angry, dislocated old white men everywhere?

Oligarch

Nothing succeeds like excess
I do have a bit of empathy for Kent in this, in that he says he drinking picked up after being arrested for DV (and later being found not guilty). Can imagine that was a very stressful time for him - and despite being found NG the whole thing has tarnished him. And query whether News would have fired him if not for those earlier allegations now.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
If old mate really did ask Kent about whether he was going to the game the following day, which just happened to be the Women in League round, that's a pretty sophisticated, two-stage sledge. No offence to old mate, but it seems pretty unlikely to me. I'm more inclined to believe Kent sparked up of his own accord.

In any case, how long will it be before Kent launches his own "You Can't Cancel Kenty" podcast, railing against the woke agenda on behalf of angry, dislocated old white men everywhere?
I read something that suggested the other guy didn’t even know who Kent was, nor does he follow RL. Not sure how true that is but definitely read it.

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
I read something that suggested the other guy didn’t even know who Kent was, nor does he follow RL. Not sure how true that is but definitely read it.
Yeah, I remember reading the same thing. Just goes to show that there are two (or more) sides to every story, and it's possible that none of them are true.

My guess is Kent thought something was said, but whether or not anything was said is hard to say. And the rest, thanks to mobile phone cameras, social media, and the power of the meme, is now part of rugby league folklore.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member

When you plead guilty the cops will sometimes agree to include some stuff you want in the agreed facts that you'll be sentenced on. Here Kent would have asked to include that he'd been verbally provoked.

The other guy is fighting the charge so Kent's agreed facts aren't relevant to his case. The cops may call some other witnesses about how it all started, but really it will simply be about whether they can prove he wasn't acting in self-defence (good luck with that, on video looked like self-defence to me!)

LeonardCohen

Bencher
One of the best aspects of this whole sordid affair is Kenty’s insistence on wearing those Ray Ban sunglasses as he walks past the waiting press. He looks like the terminator in a few of the snaps I’ve seen 😎

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
15 12 3 113 28
15 10 5 108 24
15 10 5 77 24
16 10 6 195 22
15 8 7 64 20
15 8 7 40 20
16 9 7 2 20