Parker out

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
No doubt Harper is far sharper and more elusive and offers more in attack, while Parker has proven 1 of the better defensive centres in the comp.
Will be interesting as Des is a big Parker fan, so will add pressure to the outside men to perform, which is a good thing.
I understand a few calling for Parker to play on an edge in the back row and just maybe could go alright....but imo is already knocked out every few games at centre and can't see him moving to a higher impact/contact position

Last edited:
No doubt Harper is far sharper and more elusive and offers more in attack, while Parker has proven 1 of the better defensive centres in the comp.
Will be interesting as Des is a big Parker fan, so will add pressure to the outside men to perform, which is a good thing.
I understand a few calling for Parker to play on an edge in the back row and just maybe could go alright....but imo is already knocked out every few games at centre and can't see him moving to a higher impact position
Parker’s one of those players you love to see in Manly Colours, but shouldn’t be an automatic selection ahead of emerging talent. I think the club can unearth a more dynamic centre than big red, but if he is playing well he deserves his spot

Actually have noticed Parker make or cover good ground early, only average pace after that but good power running early . Most likely why he is capable of breaking an initial tackle not infrequently . Does run good lines and decoy runs which probably does go a bit unnoticed . Harper does have that good knack of elusiveness and not a bad positional type centre as well . Has been back to having a good crack in defence but Parker just that bit more effective . In a foot race , would think Harper by a bit but not heaps . Interesting that Harper was trialed as a full back last season and apparently did O K but of course Garrick is the pick now . Toss of a coin , Harper will probably be favored in the short term and then will depend on how well Brad can get back to some solid form . Wouldn 't write off Brad being able to make a go as a back rower , not like running into the teeth of a ruck defence as opposed to an edge and defence should be no issue for him . Can 't see it happening with the present array of Manly back rowers this season and next including Burbo however .

Harper's fast enough to beat defenders and make a break, whereas Parker isn't. As another poster suggested, without Turbo in the team, the attack of other players becomes more important. With regard to this, Harper is contributing more than what Parker has shown in the past.
Luke Garner says hi.

As the thread title suggests, 'Parker is out', and before he ever gets back let's see how his knee and his form hold up in reserves.
I note Suli and Dylan Walker both had to return via the bench after injury (and in fact never actually regained their previous centre spots) and I don't see enough difference in ability between Harper and Parker for his return to be automatic.
Des might see it differently of course. But dropping Koula is not an option so my guess, if Parker's return is successful he'll become first backline emergency, ahead of Burbo and Jorge.

A few things I think that are being overlooked here. Harper has really improved since that debacle game. His defence has tightened up. He has made a couple of breaks... from memory though not beating a defender with a step or pace but via an overlap in general. He has some decent pace but yes I haven't seen him bust tackles or use that pace to break through the line. He is a good centre on his day - not great but ok. Parker has some attributes Harper. Parker is MUCH better in defence - no way Talakai does that to Parker. Parker runs MUCH better lines including decoy runs.. Harper does not run virtually any lines. Parker is MUCH better coming out of our end. Parker is fearless and will take the super tough carry and land on his front and have a quick play the ball. Harper can get manhandled and go backwards and have a slow play the ball. When we have had real trouble is getting out of our own end. Saab/Harper are not your dynamic tough ball runners coming out of our own end. Tippytoes is the prototype - he is amazing. Koula pretty damn good - he takes the hard run and makes yards - Parker fits in perfectly with Garrick another that takes the hard run.While Parker might not be as quick, he offers some real solidity in that he wont get Talakaied, he will run great lines with or without doing the carry and he will get us out of trouble better and onto the front foot. Harper and Parker offer different things that is for sure. Just think Parker is tougher and more reliable. Parker rarely has a loose carry or a brain explosion... Harper on the other hand while not being a pumpkin head like Keppie does have the odd brain fade.

Whatever the case, it's a good dilemma to have. Would rather have several players fighting it out for positions in the team, than having to scrape the bottom of the barrel looking for someone to fill in. For what it's worth, as much as I would'n't like this to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if Koula misses out and Des goes with Scorpio and Lionel (when/if they're both fully fit, that is).

He has made a couple of breaks... from memory though not beating a defender with a step or pace but via an overlap in general. He has some decent pace but yes I haven't seen him bust tackles or use that pace to break through the line.
Harper is quite nippy and has decent footwork but in the clear he doesn't look fast at all. Of course when you're in a team with the likes of Saab, Turbo and Koula a lot of players will look slow!
Good point though about Parker's decoy runs and general reliability, at full fitness he'd be rated higher than Harper. On the other hand Des values team stability ... so I have no idea :)

Harper is quite nippy and has decent footwork but in the clear he doesn't look fast at all. Of course when you're in a team with the likes of Saab, Turbo and Koula a lot of players will look slow!
Good point though about Parker's decoy runs and general reliability, at full fitness he'd be rated higher than Harper. On the other hand Des values team stability ... so I have no idea :)
The good news for Harper is even he does drop back down the pecking order, he has demonstrated that he is a marketable player - whether that’s at Manly or elsewhere. If he does leave Manly in the next few years, he shouldn’t have any problems getting a gig at another club.

My centre rankings
1. Koula - Speed and strong defence
2. Tippy Toes - Big and strong and more speed than the rest below and solid defender
3. Burbo - Defence has improved and hitting the ball harder. Knows how to run of the Schuster.
4. Parker - Although slow for a centre very reliable defender.
5. Harper - He has improved and needed to. Slightly faster than Parker but he is fragile in defence against bigger opponents.

My centre rankings
5. Harper - He has improved and needed to. Slightly faster than Parker but he is fragile in defence against bigger opponents.
Apart from that poor half against Cronulla when he was returning from Covid, when has Harpo been shown to be weak in defence?

My centre rankings
1. Koula - Speed and strong defence
2. Tippy Toes - Big and strong and more speed than the rest below and solid defender
3. Burbo - Defence has improved and hitting the ball harder. Knows how to run of the Schuster.
4. Parker - Although slow for a centre very reliable defender.
Disagree! Mine:
1. Koula - he's actually #2 but is improving at such a rate he is the least likely to be dropped imo
2. Parker - solid tough experienced clever ie no dumb mistakes costing us tries
3 Harper - quite feisty and has some ability but not as experienced or strong as Parker nor as fast and talented as Koula
4 Tuipulotu - untried at NRL level as a centre but would probably go fine based on his wing play
5 Burbo - has some potential but very inexperienced at NRL level

I am torn on Parker V Harper
Parker is safe solid and reliable but how much upside is there
Harper is very much a developing player who may or may not get better - there is a potential upside however there are sure to be problems in the interim if he even gets there....

Luke Garner says hi
Yes, Garner is probably faster than Parker. I can't remember Parker ever scoring a long range try* as Garner did recently against us. I think he will go very well in the Penrith system next year.

A few weeks ago, I thought the current team would be strengthened by Parker's return. However, Harper's form has since been excellent. Unless he has a couple of shockers or there are injuries, I don't think Parker will be reinstated for a while. However, if we are down on forwards, I suspect Des would select Parker ahead of Burbo on the bench.

*In that match, Turbo was not fit & still tentative in his play. Normally, he would have bundled Garner over the sideline.

lol yes who knows. Harper is a good player - I am glad he is here though... Parker will never score 3 tries but gee he will help us massively in other ways... a bit like Jake.. Parker does all the little things right that most on here would not even realise. Like those decoy runs and hitting the ball at angles.... not a hope Harper's body could do that because some times you will get smashed. Same as bringing the ball out of trouble - Harper isn't built well enough or have the technique to be a kamikaze and crash the ball into the defensive line and then have a quick play the ball. Parker is fab at that.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8