Overrated players...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Souffs as a club & Inglis
Dragons as a club & Norman
Gallen for a long time actually most of the boot heads career
Maguire he will fade away
Gus he will fade away first
The fox comentary team
Channel nine
Parramatta as a club

That will do
Had a ****E week since we got beat and avoided ST so I would not rave
Should have stuck to it

Might get shot down here but Manase Fainu is a tad overrated. Definitely talented but overrated by us, supporters.

Most of the above assessments of overrated players is based on value for the salaries they receive which is how it should be.

So in this case Api gets 400k + and Fainu is on basic wage.

Api shows plenty of ticker but can’t pass after three years and doesn’t have a kicking game.Our ruck work over the last three years has been stilted at best and been a big reason why we have been innefective in the redzone.
Saturday night Fainus really quick play the ball gets us a try and APIs horribly slow service gives Saints the chance to win.That pass was atrocious.Both were big turning points in the game.

Previously against the Warriors and Roosters Fainu was great.Was quiet against Knights when they had 80 percent of ball in the second half ref rort.

Fainu is on basic wage, has a load more upside and can both kick and pass. Value for money it ain’t a contest and by the time we have to upgrade Fainu he’ll be twice the player he is now with games under his belt
More importantly he is a rookie playing more minutes than the 400k plus player. Shows what Des thinks and that’s probably what matters..

Last edited:
Most of the above assessment of overrated players is based on their salaries which is fair enough.

So this case Api gets 400k + and Fainu is on basic wage. So I’d look at it the other way.

Api shows plenty of ticker but can’t pass after three years and doesn’t have a kicking game.Our ruck work over the last three years has been stilted at best and been a big reason why we have been innefective in the redzone.
Saturday night Fainus quick play the ball gets us a try and APIs horribly slow service gives Saints the chance to win.
Fainu is on basic wage, has a load more upside and can both kick and pass.Value for money it ain’t a contest.
Yup, when Api came back on our attack died. Api only works when he has terrific support players up the middle like Tommy Trbo, with them out he is quite poor. Fainu has a lot to go although he provides energy and is more structured, has a slight kicking game.

I’d say David Klemmer is overrated believe it or not. I myself used to believe in his hype. There’s so many. Paul Vaughan is a controversial one, reckon he still has matches where he gets found out. Think he completely lost the prop battle against Taupau, Waddell and Sipley the other night

Most of the above assessments of overrated players is based on value for the salaries they receive which is how it should be.

Saturday night Fainus really quick play the ball gets us a try and APIs horribly slow service gives Saints the chance to win.That pass was atrocious.

Previously against the Warriors and Roosters Fainu was great.

Fainu is on basic wage, has a load more upside and can both kick and pass. Value for money it ain’t a contest and by the time we have to upgrade Fainu he’ll be twice the player he is now with games under his belt.
The ability to throw a crisp "off the ground" descent length faceball to a running forward(both sides) in the red zone or general play along with offering strong flat lateral passes to give the outside backs time and one on one opportunities is lacking big time in Manlys ruck plays.

With Elgey a slow work in progress, Tom not really all that inventive or creative with his ball playing and our ruck play limited to speed of the play the ball plays and off the hip short first man passes teams can compress their defensive lines and add numbers in the tackle----limiting the opportunities of our strong pack to offload or bust the line as much as they potentially could be---offloading will be lower risk also.

Saturday night Fainus really quick play the ball gets us a try and APIs horribly slow service gives Saints the chance to win.That pass was atrocious.Both were big turning points in the game.

Previously against the Warriors and Roosters Fainu was great.Was quiet against Knights when they had 80 percent of ball in the second half ref rort.

Fainu is on basic wage, has a load more upside and can both kick and pass. Value for money it ain’t a contest and by the time we have to upgrade Fainu he’ll be twice the player he is now with games under his belt
More importantly he is a rookie playing more minutes than the 400k plus player. Shows what Des thinks and that’s probably what matters..
We are a more cohesive, dangerous team when Fainu is at dummy half versus Api...
That’s not over or under rating either of them, just my opinion on the matter..

Might get shot down here but Manase Fainu is a tad overrated. Definitely talented but overrated by us, supporters.
Not shooting you down but I don't think Fainu is overrated at all - quite the contrary actually. When he comes on, the tempo rises and we click :rock:

He's not a player but I have to say Anthony Seibold is definitely overrated imho.

At this stage, I am going to say radley is overrated. He has pulled off a couple of decent hits (although has he this year??) but I haven’t seen much more. I reckon he has read his own press a bit too much.

Gavin Cooper is another who gets rave reviews north of the Tweed but I’ve never bought it... he got that try scoring record last year but playing outside of Thurston May have helped a tad...

Interesting you mention Campbell-Gillard.

Personally, I am seeing a bit of trend in the game at the moment with young props. They seem to burst on the scene and have a couple of bumper seasons before all the enterprise goes out of their game. The same thing happened to Klemmer. He used to be explosive and dynamic (much like Campbell-Gillard) but a couple of years of first grade, they become plodders. They amble up to the line and sure, they work hard and make some metres, but all the fizz has gone out their games.

I don't know what to put it down too. I think maybe weights programs have a bit to do it. A lot of outside backs look lightening fast during their first 1-2 seasons, before putting on lots of weight and losing their speed. I noticed it with Turbo and Walker...they were lean and quick when they first started out in FG and although still fast, they are a yard slower to my eyes.

I think it's down to them suffering a couple of painful injuries & becoming gunshy.

RCG hasn't been the same since coming back from his broken jaw, seems to either pull up or turn his back just before impact when he hits it up nowadays.

Its a tough game & I certainly cant criticise someone placing self-preservation first but you dont get the fearless, rough-headed props with no fear anymore.

That said, that Brandon Smith at the Storm is a bit of a throwback but it's really only his first full NRL season so it will be interesting to see if he continues with his smash & grab style once he suffers a significant injury.

I exclude Manly players from this debate on the basis that we are a bit more invested in our players and therefore less objective. Eg, with someone like Fainu, we see blue sky because when supporting a team you need hope for the future and I think we all hope he turns into the superstar he has shown glimpses of becoming.

I agree with the likes of Dugan & Corey Norman - with his cameo appearances in cocaine videos & bikie dinner party photos I reckon Norman just phones it in most of the time so he's got money to party with.

Sure he might pull out a field goal to win golden point on the rare occasion like he did earlier this season but I reckon he's a passenger most of the time.

Jarrod Hayne was overrated but is gone now.

Tyrone Peachey is probably the most overrated in my opinion. How did he get into SOO?
I think he is just wasted in the centres. He is an instinctive player who can create something from nothing but doesn’t get enough early ball in the centres. He is way more effective when on the bench and can come on in the middle of the park and create havoc, which he did in SOO (his form last year was pretty good imo).

So overrated? As a centre absolutely. As a footballer generally? Perhaps marginally.

A few have suggested Jaryd Hayne and I am certainly not a fan, however in fairness he hasn't done too bad

A few have suggested Jaryd Hayne and I am certainly not a fan, however in fairness he hasn't done too bad

And made a start in an NFL team which is a huge feat in itself. He’s a knob but on his day was a game changer excluding his last couple of years of coming course.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sue
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6