Out of the conversation, Daly Cherry-Evans wants to put Manly back in the picture

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One thing that could be affecting DCE is the continuous booing whenever he plays against a QLD team!! Last night was the same......kinda reminds me of what Adam Goodes went thru & how it affected him mentally & also how he played. Maybe it's having a bigger effect on DCE than what we all think & he's trying not to show it? Something is definitely not right!!

I will agree with @Ryan that since the Penn era began there has been a steady erosion of what we all consider to be the Manly "culture"

Over the years I have held many conversations on this subject, with ex-players of different eras and I am yet to hear anybody (myself included) that can accurately articulate exactly what the Manly "Culture" is.

I do have a small advantage over some in that whilst not much of a footballer myself, I did play junior reps and lower grades. As a result I did get to hang around the dressing sheds and hear the talk and was coached by people such as Ray Ritchie, Bob Battie etc.

Where I will always disagree with Ryan is that "Winning is all that matters, and all that is acceptable" was never part of any culture I was exposed to.

The values that were verballised to me were, you never ever bag a team mate, you never give up, you never let your team mate down, one in all in, and Manly people look after our own. There are others but my memory is fading.

Ryan, Winning was never the core of our culture, it was the by product of our embrassing our culture.

The values that were verballised to me were, you never ever bag a team mate, you never give up, you never let your team mate down, one in all in, and Manly people look after our own. There are others but my memory is fading.

Any suggestions for Captain 2017, someone who embraces these values?

Any suggestions for Captain 2017, someone who embraces these values?

Ben Kennedy.

Of our current roster, I can only think of Jake T as someone who ticks all the boxes and is guaranteed a start. I am not convinced that DCE is ready. But i've been wrong heaps so he may grow into the position.

Ben Kennedy.

Of our current roster, I can only think of Jake T as someone who ticks all the boxes and is guaranteed a start. I am not convinced that DCE is ready. But i've been wrong heaps so he may grow into the position.
Thanks, Jake T is a great suggestion, outstanding in fact. Perhaps he can be made 'forward captain' for the rest of this year, goodness knows a little extra inspiration can't hurt....

I will agree with @Ryan that since the Penn era began there has been a steady erosion of what we all consider to be the Manly "culture"

Over the years I have held many conversations on this subject, with ex-players of different eras and I am yet to hear anybody (myself included) that can accurately articulate exactly what the Manly "Culture" is.

I do have a small advantage over some in that whilst not much of a footballer myself, I did play junior reps and lower grades. As a result I did get to hang around the dressing sheds and hear the talk and was coached by people such as Ray Ritchie, Bob Battie etc.

Where I will always disagree with Ryan is that "Winning is all that matters, and all that is acceptable" was never part of any culture I was exposed to.

Ryan, Winning was never the core of our culture, it was the by product of our embrassing our culture.

Great post mate, and unfortunately for my argument, it makes a lot of sense.

That being said, if that is the case, we most certainly can't blame Barrett for any cultural problem.

The splinter and divide happened when Watmough openly had an issue with DCE, and apparently the Stewart's were in Chocs boat as well.

I wonder, is there still an element of this at the club?

We were at our best when our team played like brothers (supporting your comments). I remember watching Heath Le'Strange and Brett Stewart rock, scissors, paper after a try, all the team laughed, they did the teeth thing after tries, and everything was "paper". We were having fun !! Our boys were brothers in arms (as cliche as that sounds).

Know what @Woodsie , happy to concede here. I wonder though, what gets back that comeradery?

Look at the slime. Everything about them is about loving spending time together, loyalty, fighting for their mates and fans.

I DO still think we have the quality and talent to be a top 2-3 team. Get the stuff you suggested sorted. Sorry @maxta , but I really think we are much better than a rebuild people are suggesting.

Fit, firing, and most importantly, everyone pulling in the same direction, we can achieve anything in my opinion.

Well put forward woodsie. Makes heaps of sense.

That being said, if that is the case, we most certainly can't blame Barrett for any cultural problem.

The splinter and divide happened when Watmough openly had an issue with DCE, and apparently the Stewart's were in Chocs boat as well.

We were at our best when our team played like brothers (supporting your comments). I remember watching Heath Le'Strange and Brett Stewart rock, scissors, paper after a try, all the team laughed, they did the teeth thing after tries, and everything was "paper". We were having fun !! Our boys were brothers in arms (as cliche as that sounds).

Know what @Woodsie , happy to concede here. I wonder though, what gets back that comeradery?

Look at the slime. Everything about them is about loving spending time together, loyalty, fighting for their mates and fans.

I DO still think we have the quality and talent to be a top 2-3 team. Get the stuff you suggested sorted. Sorry @maxta , but I really think we are much better than a rebuild people are suggesting.

Fit, firing, and most importantly, everyone pulling in the same direction, we can achieve anything in my opinion.

When I say rebuild, I mean a change of the guard...legendary players in their twilight & a host of new players also....this does not mean we can't compete at full strength if we can keep a healthy 17....tbh- we have the players to do exactly that & not convinced Manly are shot in 2017.
I expect Manly to come good at some stage soon...but need players in key positions fit over a 5-6 week period, to build the winning formula.

That brotherhood you mention, or Esprit de Corp, generally can only be gained through shared adversity or hard won shared success. It also requires a core group of senior people within the group living and preaching the groups shared values.

Including Trent Barratt, there are far too many new faces in the side this year, and losing Choc, Foran and Gift left a big hole in the senior group. This group will have to earn their own culture, and that will take time.

That brotherhood is what makes a team greater than the sum of its parts.

Sadly, Zorba who has been at the club in some capacity for all 8 of our premierships, and with the club through all the dark days, was in many ways the custodian of our "culture"

Last season, as his future played out across the back pages and nightly news, Daly Cherry-Evans could barely step out of his front door without a camera or reporter grilling him on his next move.

The prolonged tango with the Gold Coast Titans, which ended back in the arms of the Sea Eagles at Manly, would dominate much of the early season and the man at the centre of it all couldn't have been more uncomfortable in the glare.

Regardless of who was at fault, Cherry-Evans felt like a fish out of water as he tried to explain the scenario. Later, when thrust into the Origin spotlight, he would shoulder part of the blame for Queensland's game-two defeat in Melbourne, then get dropped for game three.

A year later and Cherry-Evans says he couldn't be happier to go back to simply trying to improve as footballer and help his new-look Manly side do likewise. Settled and content off the field, the halfback said he was more than happy to flick-pass the media attention.

"I really have [enjoyed some anonymity] ... I genuinely have enjoyed staying out of the spotlight. For those who know me, they understand it's not the sort of life I like to live," Cherry-Evans said.

"I'm very fortunate this year that I have a lot of things settled outside of rugby league. For me, the test is to continue to develop as a rugby league player.

"It's just bringing up old rubbish. I think everyone is over it. I think people get sick of reading about it as much as I get sick of talking about it."

Cherry-Evans will do his utmost to orchestrate an upset over Brisbane in the NRL double-header at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night. It's another illustration of just how quickly things can change in the course of a year.

Normally, a match like this would be a chance for Queensland selectors to gauge his form ahead of the series opener. But with Cowboys star Michael Morgan now the preferred utility option and Cooper Cronk remaining the top-flight half, his name has barely had a mention.

Even the men opposite – Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford – may have surpassed him in the pecking order, such is the depth and quality of the Maroons halves stocks, even if that pair won't be available for selection due to their costly curfew break in a pre-season camp.

Cherry-Evans said he remained as committed as ever to the Maroons but hadn't heard from new coach Kevin Walters outside of the traditional Sydney dinner for out-of-state Queenslanders.

But having been there before and then being let go has only made him realise how much he wants to return to the interstate arena, where he has performed solidly without having the kind of breakout game he had craved.

"It's the dream of every kid growing up in Queensland. I've been fortunate enough to taste it but I've been unfortunate enough to lose it. I understand it doesn't last forever," he said.

Anything can happen over the next few weeks and it would only take an injury to put Cherry-Evans right back in the Origin frame. For the moment, he wants to be at the centre of a mid-season Manly drive up the table, starting with beating Brisbane in front of a sold-out Suncorp crowd.

"Definitely [we can win] – and it would be an upset. There is no pressure on us, which is great. We've had a good week of preparation. The Broncos are the benchmark at the moment," he said.

"I am feeling fresh. I'm just looking forward to building on our season so far, which has been inconsistent at best."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...j7.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Love the Sea Eagles but not a Cherry-Evans fan at all. It was his own fault that his details were sprayed across the paper, and his handling of the 2015 contract situation stunk. By his own admission, he was 'enjoying the process' as he stated on fox sports. I hope that I am proven horribly wrong, but I suspect that this guy will not fulfill his investment. Lacks responsibility and the ability to acknowledge personal fault. Bad characteristics in someone who is suppose to be a leading player.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4