Out of the conversation, Daly Cherry-Evans wants to put Manly back in the picture

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Last season, as his future played out across the back pages and nightly news, Daly Cherry-Evans could barely step out of his front door without a camera or reporter grilling him on his next move.

The prolonged tango with the Gold Coast Titans, which ended back in the arms of the Sea Eagles at Manly, would dominate much of the early season and the man at the centre of it all couldn't have been more uncomfortable in the glare.

Regardless of who was at fault, Cherry-Evans felt like a fish out of water as he tried to explain the scenario. Later, when thrust into the Origin spotlight, he would shoulder part of the blame for Queensland's game-two defeat in Melbourne, then get dropped for game three.

A year later and Cherry-Evans says he couldn't be happier to go back to simply trying to improve as footballer and help his new-look Manly side do likewise. Settled and content off the field, the halfback said he was more than happy to flick-pass the media attention.

"I really have [enjoyed some anonymity] ... I genuinely have enjoyed staying out of the spotlight. For those who know me, they understand it's not the sort of life I like to live," Cherry-Evans said.

"I'm very fortunate this year that I have a lot of things settled outside of rugby league. For me, the test is to continue to develop as a rugby league player.

"It's just bringing up old rubbish. I think everyone is over it. I think people get sick of reading about it as much as I get sick of talking about it."

Cherry-Evans will do his utmost to orchestrate an upset over Brisbane in the NRL double-header at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night. It's another illustration of just how quickly things can change in the course of a year.

Normally, a match like this would be a chance for Queensland selectors to gauge his form ahead of the series opener. But with Cowboys star Michael Morgan now the preferred utility option and Cooper Cronk remaining the top-flight half, his name has barely had a mention.

Even the men opposite – Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford – may have surpassed him in the pecking order, such is the depth and quality of the Maroons halves stocks, even if that pair won't be available for selection due to their costly curfew break in a pre-season camp.

Cherry-Evans said he remained as committed as ever to the Maroons but hadn't heard from new coach Kevin Walters outside of the traditional Sydney dinner for out-of-state Queenslanders.

But having been there before and then being let go has only made him realise how much he wants to return to the interstate arena, where he has performed solidly without having the kind of breakout game he had craved.

"It's the dream of every kid growing up in Queensland. I've been fortunate enough to taste it but I've been unfortunate enough to lose it. I understand it doesn't last forever," he said.

Anything can happen over the next few weeks and it would only take an injury to put Cherry-Evans right back in the Origin frame. For the moment, he wants to be at the centre of a mid-season Manly drive up the table, starting with beating Brisbane in front of a sold-out Suncorp crowd.

"Definitely [we can win] – and it would be an upset. There is no pressure on us, which is great. We've had a good week of preparation. The Broncos are the benchmark at the moment," he said.

"I am feeling fresh. I'm just looking forward to building on our season so far, which has been inconsistent at best."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...j7.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"There is no pressure on us, which is great."

So, ummmm..why the **** not? There in lies our problem. Get Des in there tearing doors down, or Tooves demanding an investigation.

This team needs a massive rocket up them - and for our key play maker to suggest they aren't under any pressure to perform really paints a picture I knew all along was the case.

Hopefully people can now see the culture for what it has become. No more are we, "winning is all that matters, and all that is acceptable".

Now it's, "we can win, but it would be an upset", and "there's no pressure on us".

Like what the truly ****?

So, ummmm..why the **** not? There in lies our problem. Get Des in there tearing doors down, or Tooves demanding an investigation.

This team needs a massive rocket up them - and for our key play maker to suggest they aren't under any pressure to perform really paints a picture I knew all along was the case.

Hopefully people can now see the culture for what it has become. No more are we, "winning is all that matters, and all that is acceptable".

Now it's, "we can win, but it would be an upset", and "there's no pressure on us".

I agree Ryan, it feels like the Manly culture has disappeared, virtually overnight.
It doesn't feel like a competition with Manly in it right now. Under the radar? they most certainly are!. Nobody cares.
It's all about everyone else, and Manly have been made irrelevant.

The whole under dog, 'under the radar', trick is well known in Aussie sport. Where to for the naysayers if Manly win?

I think what he means is that Manly is not expected to win this game, therefore there is no expectation from anyone, including the media & as such no pressure! They can go out & try to play as a team rather than individuals. The pressure would be on the Broncos to give us a hiding as is expected! I'm sure that the whole team realize though that they need to start producing!!!

As for my thoughts on the game, I think the scoreline flatters them. From my humble perspective, i think that we are building well, and will be there when the whips are cracking. This year might not be ours, but as a team, we are beginning to work well and are building as the year progresses.

As for my thoughts on the game, I think the scoreline flatters them. From my humble perspective, i think that we are building well, and will be there when the whips are cracking. This year might not be ours, but as a team, we are beginning to work well and are building as the year progresses.
We're you even watching the same game. I thought the under 6's were still on from half time. We have a group of directionless plodders.

Injuries aside (which also causes a lack of on-going combinations), we were hopeless against Brisbane last night.

Our attack was shocking and seems to have zero structure while our defence, although it did tighten up for a while in the 20 minutes before half time, was very soft.

Brisbane showed us that even if we do make the top 8 this year and do have our strongest team on the park, right now we are pretenders at best.

How about you just go and open a TAB account Ryan. That way you can bet against Manly every week instead of hounding supporters on this site.

I do it, because people argue vehemently that we'll win, when I suggest there are gimmes. It's about backing gusto comments made on these boards. Funnily, the conviction rate is so far 33.33%. Only @BOZO backed himself, whilst the others wouldn't.

For the record, I'd be 3 from 3. The point is, our team has regressed to a point where we can win any game as under Des and Geoff.

It's a sad day. We have the players and ability. We lack the effort and execution.

We lack the effort and execution.
There wasn't a lack of effort last night, though I did see a lack of cohesion.
As for execution, some of our fans are advocating that, which is a bit harsh in my view.

There wasn't a lack of effort last night, though I did see a lack of cohesion.
As for execution, some of our fans are advocating that, which is a bit harsh in my view.

You didn't think the effort, energy and mojo was down last night mate?

The mojo was down, we opened up for those first two tries and that probably hit our confidence a fair bit.
We didn't seem to be moving up quickly and aggressively in defence, that seemed to improve when Lussick came on for Vave?
True, it was very disappointing to watch the whole thing unfold.
But I'd rather keep it in perspective, Brisbane have done that to several teams this year.
The reality is we are not a top 4 team right now, but so what? We need to be a top 4 team by August, and I don't know why many seem to be giving up on us!

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2