Our halves and our gameplan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I thought the most underrated thing he did last night was the exceptional early ball he was giving chambers. Allowing him to make plays. That’s what Ben hunt definitely wasn’t doing the last two games

I'd actually like to see Brian Kelly and Walker get the ball early one on one. Kelly has beautiful footwork and tends to be able to poke his head through, if we could combine that with a fast winger who was always there in support - there would be a lot of tries down that edge. Walks is just a handful one on one - that's been well proven.

In a nutshell- DCE is a confidence player.
When he is not at his best at Manly, it’s not that he suddenly becomes a bad player.
He may put on a brave face, but his belief is down.
The few games Manly aim up and he gets into his groove, is a different player.

Him and Munster has me more excited about him and Walker. It's worked this year for us in the few games we've played it and I'm happy with Hodko at 9 or 14, depending whether Api is fit.
Tend to agree, Walker can play that Munster style of game if he learns to be more direct rather than sideways. If he could take that hit up mentality he has at centre to his running game at 6 he has the footwork and strength to be like Munster and get through the line.

I've been saying in just about every game thread how much he is trying. If you were scoring effort, he'd be leading the comp.

Slater probably did a bit of organising last night, but I also noticed that Daly was talking heaps. I don't doubt that he can organise a team to follow a game plan. I have concerns over the Trent Barrett gameplan (or lack of), his instructions to DCE and the amount of ad lib football we seem to be playing. His attack is too often stifled by players running the wrong lines and out of space.

Make no mistake about it, DCE is an elite player and would probably be fulfilling the potential as the best half in the competition if he was given the right opportunity.

Slater said DCE took control the moment he walked into camp, even spent extra time 1 on 1 with the backs to make sure they knew the plays.

Let me ask all you 'game plan' analysts this: Isn't a good player one who takes advantage of opportunities as they arise? Isn't a smart player one who can see that a particular tactic/game plan isn't working and tries something different? Players can be sent out with the finest of instructions but for a myriad of reasons during the heat of battle they falter.
Do you think a competitive player is happy because he stuck to a 'game plan' but the team got beaten?
Do you think part of Fitler's game plan was for Klemmer to trip up opposition defenders?
Bozo - the real one, not the beefcake on this Forum - said the quality of the 'cattle' is the difference between a successful and unsuccessful coach.

Let me ask all you 'game plan' analysts this: Isn't a good player one who takes advantage of opportunities as they arise? Isn't a smart player one who can see that a particular tactic/game plan isn't working and tries something different? Players can be sent out with the finest of instructions but for a myriad of reasons during the heat of battle they falter.
Do you think a competitive player is happy because he stuck to a 'game plan' but the team got beaten?
Do you think part of Fitler's game plan was for Klemmer to trip up opposition defenders?
Bozo - the real one, not the beefcake on this Forum - said the quality of the 'cattle' is the difference between a successful and unsuccessful coach.
Yes you are right to some extent, but the modern game is so bogged down in structure that it's very difficult to break away from that. They are so finely tuned to zones and channels that resetting a game plan isn't that easy. Bellamy's success is often touted as being because of his ability to give players very narrow ranges of responsibilities and everyone does their job, he has had the benefit of two of the best football brains in the country who can play off that though.

After watching Daly tonight I am now of the belief that the common knowledge of him requiring an organising six is a myth. He was partnered with a running six in Cameron Munster and he delivered a halfbacks complete game. He ran the team and controlled the team. And to be honest looked relaxed and didn't overplay his hand. And we also saw none of the play that he has been showing at Manly, no kicks for touch or negative plays everything was positive. So this has led me to think this is coaching not Daly as a player. Barrett must be telling our halves to play the negative style as we also see this in Hodko. Anyways I badly want Baz to change the game plan and also look to some ball runners e.g. T Wright.

(Don't add this to the Daly Cherrygraph it's more of a separate discussion about our halves and gameplans).

He did have an organizing fullback. Like him or hate him Slater is the best organizing fullback in the game and no one talks more than he does on the field. Snake and Matty Ridge were also non stop talkers.

Im not so sure. Its chicken and the egg stuff for me. The gameplan of kicking for touch has been in operation for about a month. Its crap for sure and has barretts fingers all over it. But if we think about our year the more independent kicking games used previously were also rubbish of a different order.

So has barrett issued the command due to a lack of onfield ability to work unsupervised
Or
Has all the **** kicking plans been his

Cherry played the hand he had to play last night or it was goodnight cherry for rep footy
So did walters bring the best out in him and show barrett up
Or did cherry play the mature game he could play for manly for his own personal reasons
Im asking the question. Im not interested in the cherry is the king crowd but feel free to add your important opinions. Im happy for you but im genuinely interested in the real drivers in this situation
Foran is always mentioned about the old cherry but not enough is said about the stewart boys and jamies lyons influence on the team making the chez bombs life pretty sweet
For me its still the same , the boy has the skills. Its not barretts plan to get caught on 5 th tackle 5 times a game so he doesnt kick. He has a go but despite his obvious interlect i feel he struggles for concentration and finds the game dull unless he acting spontaneously all the time.

Maybe he is just too comfortable. I still remember the hysteria the bulldogs caused when they signed shifty sherwin on a 4 year deal. Noone could believe you would sign a player for that long

I was happy for cherry last night, but it also pissed me a bit, and while api can throw some **** passes ben hunt is hardly a competent dummy half

Maybe the game plan devised by Barrett is because DCE is not surrounded by star players. He is surrounded by 2 stars in Turbo x 2. Then he has 4 or 5 very good players and the rest are somewhat solid. Would Brown, Winterstein, Kelly, Hodkinson, Wright, Suli walk into any other 1st grade side??? Probably not???
I dont think so either but .....
*DCE is surrounded by more than 2 stars mate
*Kappow
*Walker
*Jake
*Tom
That makes 5 superstars in a team that competent coaching staff can build on .
Throw in quality players like Thomson, AFB , Taufua , Lane , Fainu , Paseka , Tanginoa and the sensational speedster in Tom Wright and you have a team that should be competing for the top 8 instead of lingering at the bottom of the ladder where the wooden spoon lies .
This team we have is certainly under achieving .

Tend to agree, Walker can play that Munster style of game if he learns to be more direct rather than sideways. If he could take that hit up mentality he has at centre to his running game at 6 he has the footwork and strength to be like Munster and get through the line.
Walker has been playing that style of footy at 6 this year. Only problem has been that he's spent more time off the field than on it.

The two take-outs from DCE's stellar performance are:

1. He's much more effective as a wide second receiver (as when Green was at club) than first receiver (as he's mostly played this season).

2. What a difference crisp passing to him makes.

Daly is least effective when he gets slow ball from dummy half as first receiver, which forces him to run sideways and get tackled with the ball.

Hodko needs to play that first-receiver distribution role so Daly can play on the edges and sweep behind play as opportunities emerge.

DCE is deadly on the edge

Im not so sure. Its chicken and the egg stuff for me. The gameplan of kicking for touch has been in operation for about a month. Its crap for sure and has barretts fingers all over it. But if we think about our year the more independent kicking games used previously were also rubbish of a different order.

So has barrett issued the command due to a lack of onfield ability to work unsupervised
Or
Has all the **** kicking plans been his

Cherry played the hand he had to play last night or it was goodnight cherry for rep footy
So did walters bring the best out in him and show barrett up
Or did cherry play the mature game he could play for manly for his own personal reasons
Im asking the question. Im not interested in the cherry is the king crowd but feel free to add your important opinions. Im happy for you but im genuinely interested in the real drivers in this situation
Foran is always mentioned about the old cherry but not enough is said about the stewart boys and jamies lyons influence on the team making the chez bombs life pretty sweet
For me its still the same , the boy has the skills. Its not barretts plan to get caught on 5 th tackle 5 times a game so he doesnt kick. He has a go but despite his obvious interlect i feel he struggles for concentration and finds the game dull unless he acting spontaneously all the time.

Maybe he is just too comfortable. I still remember the hysteria the bulldogs caused when they signed shifty sherwin on a 4 year deal. Noone could believe you would sign a player for that long

I was happy for cherry last night, but it also pissed me a bit, and while api can throw some **** passes ben hunt is hardly a competent dummy half
i feel like for manly he sometimes tries to do too much and can overplay his hand. Last night he ran his side of the field and handled his responsibility. Didnt take on more than he had to

Walker is no Monster at 5/8 He is a Monster at centre . Thats where he represented at and where he excels

Maybe the game plan devised by Barrett is because DCE is not surrounded by star players. He is surrounded by 2 stars in Turbo x 2. Then he has 4 or 5 very good players and the rest are somewhat solid. Would Brown, Winterstein, Kelly, Hodkinson, Wright, Suli walk into any other 1st grade side??? Probably not???
They'd walk into the Eels and on a higher contract. The Eels, the gift that always just keeps on giving. Ooops, sorry, you did say first grade side.....

The difference between Cherry and QLD and Cherry and Manly is that Queensland turned up to win.

Dylan Walker is a better player when does not have to think and plays his natural running game.
The 1 key area I felt would be of benefit at 5/8 is his support play, sniffing around offloads and bursting through the ruck off second phase play, but it’s almost like he feels obligated to be setting for that next play rather than living the moment.

I wish someone would consistently give Kelly the early ball that Chambers got last night.
Agree. I think we are guilty of trying to run our set plays that we forget the simple things. Id like our forwards just run hard and straight with support then after 3 or 4 tackles throw it wide early (like chez did with chambers) occasionally run a set play but not every set of six

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8