Our halves and our gameplan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Holmsey

Bencher
After watching Daly tonight I am now of the belief that the common knowledge of him requiring an organising six is a myth. He was partnered with a running six in Cameron Munster and he delivered a halfbacks complete game. He ran the team and controlled the team. And to be honest looked relaxed and didn't overplay his hand. And we also saw none of the play that he has been showing at Manly, no kicks for touch or negative plays everything was positive. So this has led me to think this is coaching not Daly as a player. Barrett must be telling our halves to play the negative style as we also see this in Hodko. Anyways I badly want Baz to change the game plan and also look to some ball runners e.g. T Wright.

(Don't add this to the Daly Cherrygraph it's more of a separate discussion about our halves and gameplans).

I've been saying this all year but he just needs a genuine strike player at 6 this year. Croker wasn't it and Hodko coming in had two dominant halves controlling the game and none trying to create chances.

With Walker at 6 he can manage the game and has a genuine ball player who adds value to the attack. Cherry wasn't a great manager before but you have to hand it to Baz in turning him into one.

It’s crazy how so many people have been knocking DCE for not being a controlling half and only a running style player.

I’ve mentioned it before that DCE played his best organising football when Foran was on the other side of the field. Foran was a running half whom took on line countless times when he played with us and even ran in the centres sometimes. Foran only started that organising role after his first hammy problems.

DCE just needs another player taking the pressure off and not letting the defence know excactly where every play is coming from.

Thurston had no success at the Cows till Morgan took some of the pressure.

We all have short memories of how great DCE was when he had an awesome side around him.

All of you who think that we pay him too much just remember we could have Hunt for around the same price.

Having confidence in the experience of the other players also relaxed Chez.

But the game plan at Manly does need to change.

Chez hardly left the RHS tonight, whereas at Manly he seems to be popping up everywhere
I reckon if daley swung around to the left along side munster would of worked well also. he just needs good ball from the hooker or the forwards to run the right lines, and when they can throw an out the back ball like gift or jake, thats when he shines, as he can throw a great long ball, or go to the line.

It’s crazy how so many people have been knocking DCE for not being a controlling half and only a running style player.

I’ve mentioned it before that DCE played his best organising football when Foran was on the other side of the field. Foran was a running half whom took on line countless times when he played with us and even ran in the centres sometimes. Foran only started that organising role after his first hammy problems.

DCE just needs another player taking the pressure off and not letting the defence know excactly where every play is coming from.

Thurston had no success at the Cows till Morgan took some of the pressure.

We all have short memories of how great DCE was when he had an awesome side around him.

All of you who think that we pay him too much just remember we could have Hunt for around the same price.
exactly, its why walker has been going ok at 5/8. the last 3 times he played there we won. you then have another attacking player who keeps the defence guessing.

daley then doesnt need to over play his hand on every play. The main thing with daley is when he does want the ball, he needs to get it early and have the players ready to run his plays. sometimes i think he is too ahead of the players around him. all comes back to having a good hooker as well and knowing his game inside out. Think api is only getting better with that

Having confidence in the experience of the other players also relaxed Chez.

But the game plan at Manly does need to change.

Chez hardly left the RHS tonight, whereas at Manly he seems to be popping up everywhere
That's our coaches game plan . He has every one running in circles and not getting anywhere .

Just confirms to me DCE is expected to do much by TB and is trying too hard. He should be playing the right side of the filed and an experienced 5/8 should be playing the left. The use of an inexperienced 5/8 for the first eight rounds was really dumb, we were 2 from 8 and our semi final hopes were dashed.

I thought DCE complemented Munster well. Did the basics well enough to let Munster concentrate on his running game, which was the most dangerous part of Qld's attack last night. DCE did throw a couple of nice balls, the one to Slater for Holmes try for instance, but in general he just gave early ball and didn't run a lot himself. Good game for him to come back for, Queensland dominated possession and field position, which took the pressure off.

Manly has a great halfback . All we need is a great coach and we have the complete package to be a force once again
Maybe the game plan devised by Barrett is because DCE is not surrounded by star players. He is surrounded by 2 stars in Turbo x 2. Then he has 4 or 5 very good players and the rest are somewhat solid. Would Brown, Winterstein, Kelly, Hodkinson, Wright, Suli walk into any other 1st grade side??? Probably not???

exactly, its why walker has been going ok at 5/8. the last 3 times he played there we won. you then have another attacking player who keeps the defence guessing.

daley then doesnt need to over play his hand on every play. The main thing with daley is when he does want the ball, he needs to get it early and have the players ready to run his plays. sometimes i think he is too ahead of the players around him. all comes back to having a good hooker as well and knowing his game inside out. Think api is only getting better with that
I thought the most underrated thing he did last night was the exceptional early ball he was giving chambers. Allowing him to make plays. That’s what Ben hunt definitely wasn’t doing the last two games

I've been saying in just about every game thread how much he is trying. If you were scoring effort, he'd be leading the comp.

Slater probably did a bit of organising last night, but I also noticed that Daly was talking heaps. I don't doubt that he can organise a team to follow a game plan. I have concerns over the Trent Barrett gameplan (or lack of), his instructions to DCE and the amount of ad lib football we seem to be playing. His attack is too often stifled by players running the wrong lines and out of space.

Make no mistake about it, DCE is an elite player and would probably be fulfilling the potential as the best half in the competition if he was given the right opportunity.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2