Origin - Your Thoughts?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

What do we do with State of Origin?

• Leave it as it is

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Stand Alone Series - End of NRL Season

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Stand Alone Series - Mid Season

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Scrap State of Origin all together

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Other (Discuss)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rj90

Yeah, Nah.
Tipping Member
I love Origin. It showcases the best of the game we love and I thrive on watching Queenslanders get smacked.

That being said, I love my team winning a Premiership even more. No Origin win will ever compare to winning a Grand Final.

When you take the countries best players out of the game for 3 - 6 weeks (some back up, some don't) it really dilutes the quality of club footy. Plus, winning and losing some of these games (especially teams on the edge of the 8) determines who plays finals footy or not. Essentially, teams are penalised for having rep players.

Personally, I'd love a mid season break of 2 weeks solely dedicated to rep footy. Play Origin on say a Saturday / Wednesday / Sunday schedule or something like that. Throw in the Indigenous v Mauri matches, couple of Pacific Island matches (Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands, etc). Just two weeks of rep footy for everyone to enjoy, not just NSW v QLD. Then come back after those 2 weeks and get back to regular footy without any disadvantage to teams with rep players.

What are your thoughts? Does Origin need a revamp or is it fine the way it is?

if you are going to play origin its for the financial benefits of the game because of the huge value plus it brings them for the game

Right now footy interest is high so it makes sense to squeeze that for timing

i reckon you smash it down and go again. aim for 20 teams with the next 2 international so we can throw real footy money at a few countries that produce. how attractive for players would a NZ based team that played 4 games a year in tonga or samoa, png via cairns

Play trials, televise, but no cup

id like to see a whole new attitude toward the draw and how they can add value

a well timed break for origin, of a few weeks. everyone takes a chill pill. injuries recoup
more rep games such as city country, , samoa, png, invite a few qld cup teams, a chance to invite new franchises to play locals a year out. Make this a mini magic round but invent 3 games a week to go with origin for a few weeks from above plus more. get a blues v maroon 2. clutch each week around the origin game a build 3 mini magic rounds

if we did this for a few years to aid future expansion while getting to 20 teams faster. then another rethink. the draw gets easier with 20

have the last trade window of the year, and make something out of it

I'm fine having it on Wednesday nights tbh, watching the SOO wets your appetite leading into the Sea Eagles game a few days later. To me, it's a must having NRL games playing every weekend.

Its worked for 43 years so why change it.

Yes it’s a pain when losing your players but for many they come back better for the experience.

Last edited:
It has to change, the timing, absolute joke teams that are weakened by players out for Origin.

Historically it gives the lesser teams an opportunity to jag a couple of wins against understrength top sides.

Bottom line despite SOO, the best teams still win the comp.

I think Silvertails Manly supporters who complain are a little short sighted.

Historically it gives the lesser teams an opportunity to jag a couple of wins against understrength top sides.

Bottom line despite SOO, the best teams still win the comp.

I think Silvertails Manly supporters who complain are a little short sighted.

So if Manly finish 9th after a few Origin round losses you won't mind?! 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm fine having it on Wednesday nights tbh, watching the SOO wets your appetite leading into the Sea Eagles game a few days later. To me, it's a must having NRL games playing every weekend.
I'm far more interested in watching Manly games. SOO is a great watch but I find myself more concerned with our players making it through unscathed.

The current format effects 6-9+ rounds, extra byes, 36 of the best players out/rested/injured for nearly a third of season. I'd much prefer a mid season break, it would still have an impact but it would be reduced to 1 or 2 rounds.

That said it will never happen because dragging it out makes too much money for the NRL, Channel 9 and the NRL media in general.

In what other competition in the world do they CONTINUE the biggest league in the world WITHOUT the star players for SOO (or internationals say, in other sports?)

Seriously? I can't think of another sport in the world that does something as stupid as this. You rob the comp (the cash cow, the big asset) or star players. Its a throw back to an amateur era.

Have a mid-season break. No weekend games for 2 - 3 weeks in the regular comp. Let teams re-set, regcharge, and reorganise (would do wonders to shake up the top 8 if some clubs had 3 weeks off to get themselves set up again, or change coaches etc).

Play origin, internationals anything you like during that break.

Whats to lose? Play womens matches too in that break.... get them additional exposure.

I like the occasion....it's kind of like the Melbourne Cup, as people who don't even follow footy or horses get into the atmosphere of these sporting events.
I'll be just hoping for some great footy and the Manly pair get out unscathed....bring it on I say !!
Also like how the games are that fast, each half seems like only 20 minutes and the refs let it flow more, even giving more latitude to those big hits and a bit of mongrel.....which is more the old school footy I grew up on.....it's almost a different game with the same rules :punch:

ONE GAME ONLY.
Go all in. Bash. Crash. Take a farking chance.
Must watch NRL

Game 1 is boring as teams try to not lose rather than try to win.
Game 3 can be a dead rubber. Absolutely stupid to play it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4