Origin II - 2024

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Rafferty

Mug punter
How do we know Angus C doesn't want to come to Manly? Haven't seen anything so just curious.
Read about on here, pretty sure someone said we made an approach and he categorically rejected us, so whether its just rumours or someone’s in the know, I don’t know, either way, Rooster won’t be letting him go anywhere.

MW66

Reserve Grader
NSW played perfect football in the first half. As good as I have seen at SOO level. As long as complacency doesn't come into it, we will be very hard to beat in Game 3. I think after a few lean years we will be up for it.

From a Manly perspective I thought DCE was QLD's best and tried hard all night. A. Crighton targeted him all night so there were a few tough moments defensively however his chase on the centre Crighton's intercept was top class (2nd time in SOO career). 2nd half he had 2 x try assists and in general I thought played well behind a very badly beaten pack.

Jake was good but played too few minutes. He could have easily replaced a number of players e.g. Yeo earlier in the 2nd half and deserved more game time.

Ola - what a waste of a benchie. Again I find it so frustrating. If you are going to use him for < 20 mins, don't pick him. He is an 80 minute player and as well as Crighton and Martin played surely they would have benefitted from being a bit fresher as well.

MW66

Reserve Grader
Read about on here, pretty sure someone said we made an approach and he categorically rejected us, so whether its just rumours or someone’s in the know, I don’t know, either way, Rooster won’t be letting him go anywhere.
Agree - no way Roosters let him go. Just trying to understand his anti Manly sentiment.

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
@BOZO isn’t worried because he knows QLD have an ace up their sleeve for the final decider…

IMG_0222.png

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
How do we know Angus C doesn't want to come to Manly? Haven't seen anything so just curious.
We only know from one post in the Toupoinua thread on Monday. Do we believe one post, who knows if he has a gripe with Manly, but it's a bit strange. Anyway, the Roosters will have rocks in their head if they let him go now.

The Who

Journey Man
Last night's match was a perfect example of ref manipulation. NSW got penalties then six-again rulings and eventually the Cane Toad's defences cracked. NSW had all the possession, and momentum in that first half, and played power error-free RL. NSW needed to win the second SOO in order to create a contest for the third match.
The match was over at half-time so the refereeing changed in the second half and Queensland were gifted possession etc. to make the match a better spectacle. Not surprising, Queensland won the second half and ended up winning the penalty count 9-5.
This season, more than ever, we've seen teams coming back from huge deficits to win or make the match more even. I think it's happening too much for it to be coincidence, with the refs and Bunker playing a decisive role in results.

Eagle 1

First Grader
Last night's match was a perfect example of ref manipulation. NSW got penalties then six-again rulings and eventually the Cane Toad's defences cracked. NSW had all the possession, and momentum in that first half, and played power error-free RL. NSW needed to win the second SOO in order to create a contest for the third match.
The match was over at half-time so the refereeing changed in the second half and Queensland were gifted possession etc. to make the match a better spectacle. Not surprising, Queensland won the second half and ended up winning the penalty count 9-5.
This season, more than ever, we've seen teams coming back from huge deficits to win or make the match more even. I think it's happening too much for it to be coincidence, with the refs and Bunker playing a decisive role in results.
League these days is a possession game, and the Blues had this in spades in the first half. What you'd call the perfect half, no errors, virtually every pass stuck. Replicate the first half at Suncorp, and we're home by the straight.

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Agree - no way Roosters let him go. Just trying to understand his anti Manly sentiment.
I don't think it was presented as any "anti-Manly" sentiment, just that he was hoping to stay with the Roosters.

But it's emblematic of our recruitment, really: he's just the type of quality "marquee" player we need, and also the type we never seem to land these days.

Last edited:

MW66

Reserve Grader
I don't think it was presented as any "anti-Manly" sentiment, just that he was hoping to stay with the Roosters.

But it's emblematic of our recruitment, really: he's just the type of quality "marquee" player we need, and also the type we never seem to land these days.
Thank you and agree.

Interesting point. How much would it take to land Crighton? $800k for 3 years? Not sure if we have the cap.

manly al

First Grader

But it's emblematic of our recruitment, really: he's just the type pf quality "marquee" player we need, and also the type we never seem to land these days.
Maybe Manly thought in the early stages of the season and when the Roosters were targeting Fifita, they may have had a shot at getting him on a more modest deal and not his market value now of course .
Even with Lawton leaving, , cap could still be a bit tight but maybe combined with Shu leaving , might well be a bit in the kitty to try and recruit a fair quality back rower .
Might even be looking at a prop with Lodge a bit on the doubtful side these days .
Seems more unlikely as time goes on that Parker is being viewed as a definite i st grade edge player

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Thank you and agree.

Interesting point. How much would it take to land Crighton? $800k for 3 years? Not sure if we have the cap.
I mean, sometimes you just have to find the cap.

Every other team manages to land a big fish every now and then, but we seem content to muddle along by upgrading and extending players we want to keep (like Haumole) and surrounding them with bargain-basement buys and rehabilitation projects. Even when some of those players do prove to be a good fit, they don't compare to a player like Angus Chricton.

For some reason or other, the Roosters have been treating him as a low priority for years now. I was hoping we'd target him in 2022 when he was surplus to the Roosters' needs and he was a union target. He and Jake seemed to really hit it off during the World Cup in the UK, but then he was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and things kind of went pear shaped for him.

But he's obviously learned how to live with that and is playing as well as he ever has. And still the Roosters somehow figured they'd be better off with Fifita. You'd think there would have been an opportunity for another club to show him some love, but apparently not.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Re Jake - he is clearly there for a tight game which has yet to happen past his first stint.

As for Ola it feels like they do not know how to use him but all that said both games have been so far off "normal" origin I am not sure you can really judge too much

At 34–0 up, even 34–12, there is no excuse to leave your team captain on the bench for 34 minutes of the 2nd half. It wasn't anywhere near like the first game where NSW were in desperate need of more mobile forwards.

And if that's actually Maguire's game plan with how to use Jake, then why bother picking him and making him captain in the first place?? Unless they're off injured or they get an early mark for a job well done in a good win ... especially in representative football, your team captain should be an 80 minute player. So far Jake has not even played enough minutes for 1 full game this series.

Isaah Yeo has spent more time as the on-field NSW captain than Jake has so far, and he's started on the bench both games.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It was the perfect game from NSW because Klein created the perfect scenario.

The penalties & 6 agains all flowed to NSW in the first half and QLD had to crack & crack often.

This was simply pay back for creating a game 1 that wasn’t really a contest.

It’ll be interesting if the Klown gets game 3, and even more interesting if he shows any bias to one of the teams.

Honestly the refs should just put the whistle away ( unless it’s for foul play ) and let the teams decide the winner.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
15 10 5 77 24
15 9 6 161 20
15 8 7 64 20
14 8 6 60 20
15 7 7 28 19
14 7 7 37 18