[Resurrected] Opinion on the Manly “clockoff”

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
And one more thing on my earlier post. The coach.

This is not an attack on Barrett. But when the coach gives the players an out (ie we can't compete because of this reason - ie facilities, or that ie injuries), 90% of those players will take that. They will take the easy option. Tooves/Des IMO (and I have no inside knowledge) seem to use disadvantages as motivation......we don't have the facilities? Great and we'll still smash them!

Everyone hates us? Great, we'll show those A-holes and win the comp to rub it in their face.

I think Barrett was just too inexperienced and too soft in his approach. And that just seems his nature, not much I think he could do. Some people just aren't head kickers.

Hey mate ! You don't post enough anymore. Hope you've been well !!

Agree. The Chooks (man I hate that team) are masters at a quick play-the-ball, and controlling the ruck. That's why they are constantly rolling over the opposition.

That's where we really fall down. Our polynesian group (mainly) culture of, shoulders slumped, slowly get up, play the ball and walk back into position head down, just doesn't cut the mustard. We need to be explosive and intense.

That's why we play against set defenses all the time. A team gains momentum, when the opposition defensive line is on the back foot and retreating.

I really hope this is a focus area for Des and the team. And I'm talking minute 80 as well as the early minutes. Pop up on your feet, and play the ball immediately. It comes down to heart, effort and energy.

P.S. Even some of our best players (Walker, Thompson & others) have very slow play the balls.

I don't think its the Polynesian group culture so much, though it may be something specifically applying to that culture at Manly as you seem to be implying. Watching the Polynesians in Rugby makes you wonder where that perpetual motion for 80 minutes goes when some come across the RL. If we had a little of that Polynesian culture in union, being played at Manly, we would roll over everyone with the number we have in this club. Its all in the coaching.

Putting the ball into touch when we were ahead by a few would have helped... However, that tactic was preferred for those occasions when we were behind on the scoreboard and chasing points.

Last edited:
I've said on other threads to me one of the key reasons was Mental Toughness and apparent sulking at decisions/moments in games. Watch the golden era......we get a dud call, or something just goes against us.....we don't sulk and complain for the next 10mins (and concede 2 to 3 tries)....you see Matai, Watmough, Gifty, Killer etc etc roll their sleeves up and bash the bejesus out of them in defence. We would use that as a spur and often teams would struggle to make 20metres against us as we launched into them in defence. At times it was absolutely brutal.

In the current team even Jake (who tries his heart out) would often still be complaining 5mins later.....not good enough.
The Cowboys at a time had a call, Defend the mistakes. I remember seeing them geeing each other and calling this or something similar out to each other. I would rather that than have 12 players come and pat a team mate on the head for dropping the ball.

I don’t know if Des can fix it but I sincerely hope that we NEVER have to witness a debacle like that Penrith game when we led by 22 with 12 minutes to go and got rolled.

I have never been so disgusted or embarrassed watching my team than those 12 minutes.

Unlike most of you I don’t have great optimism about this season , we’ll improve a little bit but still be somewhere between 10-15 however I hope it’s because we’ve been in the fight but just not quite good enough v total capitulation and not giving a ****!!

If we are in there fighting to the end I’ll be a happy fan.

I don’t know if Des can fix it but I sincerely hope that we NEVER have to witness a debacle like that Penrith game when we led by 22 with 12 minutes to go and got rolled.

I have never been so disgusted or embarrassed watching my team than those 12 minutes.

Unlike most of you I don’t have great optimism about this season , we’ll improve a little bit but still be somewhere between 10-15 however I hope it’s because we’ve been in the fight but just not quite good enough v total capitulation and not giving a ****!!

If we are in there fighting to the end I’ll be a happy fan.
The scary thing Mark - after Penrith scored once and were still 16 points away, you just got this eerie feeling of - "Horror movie about to unfold" - in a way it played out like I was expecting.
I agree that was perhaps worst of the worst....though I think even a few times Manly just hung on had a similar vibe.....almost clutching defeat out of the jaws of victory with diabolical "sleepy" patches...and the fact we won, kind of masked the fact the team had lost intensity/desire/gameplan to close it out comfortably.

I honestly think that without Ferris and Barrett there is no way we don't improve.

The impacts they had on playing group culture alone were diabolical. Add to that that both of them were imposters, I honestly think the squad would have played better if a plank of wood was the fitness coach and Scott Penn was the head coach.

Purely on coaching improvements alone I'm expecting us to have a chance of cracking the bottom half of the 8 this year. injuries and recruitment for the final two positions in our squad will be crucial though.

3 reasons we clocked off

1. Fitness
2. Fitness
3. See above

I agree with this. Even in the games where the effort was there, the team was only fit enough to play at a decent level for 60 minutes.

With an 70-80 minute team very different story.

Games that come to mind are those that were played against Newcastle and Melbourne at Lottoland last year. Played well enough to look the better team for 60 minutes but still managed to lose. There are of course many other examples.

NYEagle

Hey mate ! You don't post enough anymore. Hope you've been well !!

Agree. The Chooks (man I hate that team) are masters at a quick play-the-ball, and controlling the ruck. That's why they are constantly rolling over the opposition.

That's where we really fall down. Our polynesian group (mainly) culture of, shoulders slumped, slowly get up, play the ball and walk back into position head down, just doesn't cut the mustard. We need to be explosive and intense.

That's why we play against set defenses all the time. A team gains momentum, when the opposition defensive line is on the back foot and retreating.

I really hope this is a focus area for Des and the team. And I'm talking minute 80 as well as the early minutes. Pop up on your feet, and play the ball immediately. It comes down to heart, effort and energy.

P.S. Even some of our best players (Walker, Thompson & others) have very slow play the balls.
Pretty busy mate so not posting a lot but looking forward to the season as usual.Equally worrried about our outside backs as you are. Injury free then forwards should go well. Think Elgey will help. 8th to 12th probable finish and think Des’ discipline will minimise the blowouts and folding when well in front.

If Parker and Suli comprise one side of our three quarter line kiss goodbye the eight

Suli is not a centre and Parker is not a firstgrader.

Des is not that stupid.
Agree with Parker, but not ready to make up my mind till I see a Fit and settled Suli.....based on 2018 I would agree however.

I don’t mean Suli can’t play. He obviously has raw talent with all the rave reviews early. I just don’t think he is a centre. He may very well excel on the wing but doesn’t have the smarts/ passing game to make a good centre in my opinion. If his fitness and pace are better this year he has every chance to lock down a wing spot.

I don’t mean Suli can’t play. He obviously has raw talent with all the rave reviews early. I just don’t think he is a centre. He may very well excel on the wing but doesn’t have the smarts/ passing game to make a good centre in my opinion. If his fitness and pace are better this year he has every chance to lock down a wing spot.
I seen a few glimpses of a good , powerful player when watching Suli.
I agree the rave reviews have not been justified and have posted earlier the way the media built him up was like Inglis or Falau at a young age - I just dont see it.
The media needs to let players be themselves....calling them the next Bozo, Joey Johns ect is ridiculous
Creates unnecessary pressure, let them grow to be as good as themselves...

I seen a few glimpses of a good , powerful player when watching Suli.
I agree the rave reviews have not been justified and have posted earlier the way the media built him up was like Inglis or Falau at a young age - I just dont see it.
The media needs to let players be themselves....calling them the next Bozo, Joey Johns ect is ridiculous
Creates unnecessary pressure, let them grow to be as good as themselves...

Fact is he is just not a centre .... he had no experience at reading the play in defense, he had no instinct or desire to set up his outside man, and he doesn't possess silky skills or footwork ....

But when he just got the ball and ran he was becoming impressive late in the year as his fitness improved ..... on the wing simply doing kick returns and finishing I think you will see a very useful player .....

I feel sorry for Brad Parker, he tries very hard, BUT, and sadly he’s just not first grade material and has only been in there because we haven’t had anyone else.

I feel sorry for Brad Parker, he tries very hard, BUT, and sadly he’s just not first grade material and has only been in there because we haven’t had anyone else.
To me swap him for funa , Parker love his enthusiasm and attitude but just not up to first grade as you said.

Bumped an old thread. Most of this was written 2 years ago but could have been written every week since week 10 this year

Few good results last season masked the underbelly of this team
Essentially the same issues. I think the squad needs a major overhaul. Maybe a purge wont be enough.

Nothing changed really

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8