[Resurrected] Opinion on the Manly “clockoff”

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Another thread got me thinking and just interested in opinions...
The past 2 seasons there have been many games where Manly were matching, if not in charge.
Almost like a switch was pressed, the opposition got a call or score against the run of play, them proceed to score 16-26 points in a 15 minute period.
Do you find these horror patches as Attitude and belief or worse still - Desire to fight.....Or has it simply been a case of fitness where the wheels fall off at important points of the game.
Personally see both these attributes improving in 2019, but whats the thoughts on how and why Manly had these terrible spells in most games??

I think fitness was a factor. The backline was too slow. The defensive structure was all over the place, not effectively moving up in a line and ensuring they took their man. There was a lot of backing away in the backline, which was one of the reasons Kelly was having problems. I saw he was often running up out of the line to take out a danger player because the line was giving their backs too much room to move. Manly were also relying too much on Api, DCE and Jake to do the defensive work in the forwards.

I dont think they played as one team ,I believe there were two divided teams within & were not working together.
Hopefully Des pulls them back into line and gets in their heads.
When they are playing for each other the will to fightback may be greater.
I know our roster still looks thin ,but dont think Des will let players coast and have shocker after shocker.
When you know your position isnt always 100% safe ,you play differently,a lot less complacency.
Oh ,and having two halves always helps.

I dont think they played as one team ,I believe there were two divided teams within & were not working together.
Hopefully Des pulls them back into line and gets in their heads.
When they are playing for each other the will to fightback may be greater.
I know our roster still looks thin ,but dont think Des will let players coast and have shocker after shocker.
When you know your position isnt always 100% safe ,you play differently,a lot less complacency.
Oh ,and having two halves always helps.
Hey Robbie - not being a d*** with the clever rating....thinking outside the square and likely a big part of it mate

Hey Robbie - not being a d*** with the clever rating....thinking outside the square and likely a big part of it mate
I had the impression that there was a coaches clique ,which would do nothing for team harmony and playing for one and another.

The past 2 seasons there have been many games where Manly were matching, if not in charge.
Almost like a switch was pressed, the opposition got a call or score against the run of play, them proceed to score 16-26 points in a 15 minute period.
Do you find these horror patches as Attitude and belief or worse still - Desire to fight.....Or has it simply been a case of fitness where the wheels fall off at important points of the game.
Personally see both these attributes improving in 2019, but whats the thoughts on how and why Manly had these terrible spells in most games??
Here is my view on this matter feathered friend ....
My view is that the coach did not have the ability to instill the Killer instinct in the team to inflict the killer blow .
Under Trent the team played like a boxer with a glass defensive jaw that lacked the resilience that is required to keep up with the other teams into the final rounds of the bout

depositphotos_93539502-stock-photo-boxing-ring-girls-holding-a.jpg

A lot of it is desire.
Manly (and other teams) struggle when there is a shift of possession and ref's penalties. We find ourselves at times with only 30-40% possession and the majority of that is off our line. Energy sapping. However, the team struggles and lacks a momentum shift like, a crunching tackle or strong hitups from a few players not one.
If it happens again it will at the peril of Des' ire.

All of the above.

Reason Ferris, Carty, Trent.

Think back to Vave being to slack to run to a line in warm up. Culture, is attitude, equals unfit, equals less hungry.

DES is mad. But he has never had a team lacking in effort.

@maxta ... with regard to a clock off, I have no real insight, other than mental toughness, we didn't have it, maybe because they were the youngest squad in the comp, maybe some just don't possess it .....

However, several have mentioned backline defense .... I am on record from 18 months ago when our 2nd rowers Siro and Winterstein were being constantly bagged for lack of run metres ..... for stating that the most important thing those two added was shape and structure in both attack and defense ..... most of the backline defense starts with the 2nd rower taking the right option, either who to mark up against, ot whether to move up or slide etc ......

We missed those 2, and I don't think Lane/Thommo/Gojetski etc were near as good in "that" area ....

Here is my view on this matter feathered friend ....
My view is that the coach did not have the ability to instill the Killer instinct in the team to inflict the killer blow .
Under Trent the team played like a boxer with a glass defensive jaw that lacked the resilience that is required to keep up with the other teams into the final rounds of the bout

View attachment 10513
BOZO did you say something?. I keep staring at the girl in the photo.
NYEagle

I must confess - and some will not like it - Barrett was a rookie coach who had imo....great vision of how to play modern footy.
The problem is the players will still get a pat on the back at full time if we lost by 38 points.
With Des - if you cop that hiding , avoid the dressing room, jump the fence and speed home....with THAT dressing room door chasing you down the road.....

I must confess - and some will not like it - Barrett was a rookie coach who had imo....great vision of how to play modern footy.
The problem is the players will still get a pat on the back at full time if we lost by 38 points.
With Des - if you cop that hiding , avoid the dressing room, jump the fence and speed home....with THAT dressing room door chasing you down the road.....
Mate whether we like it or not just dish it out as you always do !
We cant hold anything against a guy for wanting to have a go on here ;)
keep-calm-and-come-and-have-a-go.png

When the going got tough they crumbled. Like you said when they were on top they were as good as anyone.
They would then lose cohesion and they looked nothing like a team. This was hugely noticeable after a try was scored, behind the goalposts it was a somber sight. There was no chat, no one firing the troops up. That hopeless dan Ferris did nothing.
This is all attitude and lack of motivators, I think this will change vastly with Des and Donny plus the rest.

I think it was a lack of mobility, intensity and pace, which meant were were always chasing the game, being cut apart, or being opened up.

Even small things like the play-the-ball speed , or the ruck speed in defense. Guys like Taufua playing it so slow, the opposition has the ability to set their defensive lines, which made it hard for us to come out of our own end.

Everything we did was a yard or two slower than the opposition. We have too many power type players (Parker, Suli, Taufua), and not enough speed and finesse guys who do everything at high pace.

We looked and played lethargic. For this reason, we looked burned out sometimes 20 minutes into games, and teams would focus our weak points (we all knew where that was) and would more often than not, score.

We need to reset our attacking and defensive structures (these were poor under Barrett). Play to our strengths.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7