One very good reason for Sea Eagles to be confident of survival

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Plenty around who will do whatever to keep the historic club afloat!
1585007907622.png

Spoke to a great mate of mine in LA last night who was involved as Chairman and CEO of our club from 2003 to 2008.

He agreed with my observations and can see a situation arising where if the virus is worse than expected and the NRL itself folds the game can restructure via the clubs owning the game directly with each club having equal ownership and having its Chairman as a member of a controlling board with the Chairmanship of the board rolling from club to club on a yearly basis.

He goes further and suggests that all non football operations of each club may being housed in central offices in Brisbane and Sydney whereby marketing representatives from each club would operate targeting new club members but using state of the art pooled facilities and technologies for economies of scale .Other tasks like general admin etc could operate the same way from a state of the art central location.The clubs therefore maintain control of their tactics and methods but share in the expertise and better technology etc that facilitates those processes.

That would in itself engender a more community based and sharing approach to the running of the game.

The club ownership collective would of course employ people to conduct the non club specific tasks like junior footy , country and metropolitan leagues and strategic direction with an emphasis on quality personnel rather than quantity and jobs for the boys.

The football departments would operate as they do now out of their current homes and facilities with a small number of non football staff on site to liase between the central offices and carry out tasks that involve the local communities.

The players would need to realize that the next agreement will mean they receive less of a share of a smaller broadcast rights pool and those savings to the clubs plus a huge reduction in running costs due to leaner staff and shared technology and office space which drives economies of scale would make them viable business concerns in their own right with a common purpose.

I’m sure many could find improvents to that model but as a starting point for consideration it has a lot of merit.
Very informative, and in time something good could come out of this mess.

One thing hopefully in the struggling clubs favour are,surprisingly,the Broncos.The Broncos are one of only two teams that make a profit.They’re benefited by being a one team city and every club have accepted the fact they have been given preferential treatment when it comes FTA games and exposure for big sponsors.This being the case,it’s in the best interest of the Broncos to share their profits with the rest of the league because if any club goes under,another Brisbane team will be put straight in.I very much doubt the plans to bring in a 17th team in 2023 will go ahead for a little while now

I think he means Joe Cross.

And it’s perhaps a bit too early to predict (with any sense of certainty) that the CoE etc. will not be built. It’s a perfect example of something with funding already in place and very close to being shovel ready.

The so called rich clubs will struggle with poker machine dens being shut.
Canterbury, Penrith and Parramatta will be hit hard because of this.

The talk of North’s circling to pick up the scraps of any club that folds may be far fetched, they had lots of money promised from everywhere if they got the green light to re-enter the comp but would that money still be on the table with so many companies struggling now.

I think Penn will sell or part sell in the next few months and would expect URM to be near the front of the line to buy in.

One thing hopefully in the struggling clubs favour are,surprisingly,the Broncos.The Broncos are one of only two teams that make a profit.They’re benefited by being a one team city and every club have accepted the fact they have been given preferential treatment when it comes FTA games and exposure for big sponsors.This being the case,it’s in the best interest of the Broncos to share their profits with the rest of the league because if any club goes under,another Brisbane team will be put straight in.I very much doubt the plans to bring in a 17th team in 2023 will go ahead for a little while now
Unfortunately their share price has held up pretty well under the circumstances - considering the carnage on the ASX. But the suspension of the season might change that situation

Running off the impressive initiative of this Positive thread, I will add another area I feel will be appreciated...
The game has become a business where money has overtaken the passion on which the bones of this game began, many years ago.
I understand times change and have never been 1 to hang onto the dinosaur mentallity in the modern age, but those who don't appreciate the times players ran onto the field with confetti flying and team song in the background with footage of a last minute smoke in the dressing room and KB and Tooheys cans post game were simply not around to witness it.....
I'm not suggesting we go full throttel into this era, simply a time players were happy to play their guts out, not for the money, but comradery and love of the game....
I refer to the legendary old school players, who were involved in the sport for love of the game where the pay packet was a bonus and would have worn the Seaeagles emblem for the opportunity to represent this Famous club.
Take nothing away from the modern player earning to maximum capacity they can obtain, but take a moment to remember the players who had to work on garbo trucks or pave the concrete we walk on, to support their families and run out onto Brookie on Sunday spilling blood and wearing bruises with pride, to represent the club they love.
These players will still make a healthy living when the smoke clears imo and for those who bite down on the dummy and are unhappy, cya later...there will be plenty of up and comers who are willing to give their heart and soul to take the job....Manly Seaeagles are going nowhere except on a run of success once we get back into the action of the NRL....

The game has become a business where money has overtaken the passion on which the bones of this game began, many years ago.
I take your point but let's not over-romanticise the past. The game of rugby league was born specifically so players would get paid!
It split off from rugby (union) because all the toffs could break their bones playing the game they all loved but no worries, they all had private incomes to keep supporting them.
For the working class players, on the other hand, an injury was a disaster when it stopped them from doing their shift in the mines or whatever. That is why there was a breakaway and that is how rugby league came into being.

The Football Club still has a stake in all this, so discussions about North Sydney circling etc. sound extremely premature.

Susan’s points are on the money. As mentioned elsewhere, we don’t rely on significant grants from the LC anymore, so it’s the majority of other Sydney clubs that have to look at a more radical restructure of their finances, and quickly.

V’Landys’s comments re: Brookvale some months ago should also give people hope, even if (apart from the CoE) nothing comes of it. Clearly he gets rugby league tribalism and by extension the necessity of having a team north of the Harbour, even if it serves as a principal lightning rod for other teams’ supporters dislike - that feeds back into the tribalism.

Agree, note my post somewhere else ( forget which one) about the Footy club holding the name / colours.

I take your point but let's not over-romanticise the past. The game of rugby league was born specifically so players would get paid!
It split off from rugby (union) because all the toffs could break their bones playing the game they all loved but no worries, they all had private incomes to keep supporting them.
For the working class players, on the other hand, an injury was a disaster when it stopped them from doing their shift in the mines or whatever. That is why there was a breakaway and that is how rugby league came into being.
No romantic novel here....point was more about accepting the fact there could well be a pay cut and still maintaining a great income compared to most, though well shy of what has been obtained in recent times.....my reference is more based on grass roots with playing the game you love for the emblem, mate ship, with money not the only driving force.
Players will still make a healthy living, dont worry about that.

MWSE are not going anywhere. The dark Barrett days are behind us, our culture has returned and the Manly entity is stronger than it has been in a long time.
Do not fear, there are way too many people with maroon and white blood feeding their heart who will not allow the club to fail.
We will become a force again real soon.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4