One for the techies

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Did I say I have illegal copies Dan?

Your comprehension is lacking. :stupid:

I'm sure you'll think this next time you attempt to log on to someone else's wireless internet connection the next time you travel with your notebook! :p

@byso: I won't go on as much of a tangent as Daniel seems to have done :)

There's two major 3D libraries that are used by games (I'm assuming that's what we're talking about). The first is DirectX, which can be emulated to varying degrees of perfection through WINE and Cedega and the other, which is OpenGL. OpenGL (I believe!) started out in UNIX and so is supported natively by Linux.

As I said: quite a few of the newer games come with native Linux clients anyway, so you would just run it like any other game. That depends on the development house and the spectrum of support is huge.

Having said that, there's no reason why you can't just reboot to Windows for your games if you like and with the newer CPUs that support virtualisation and so on, it will be possible quite soon to run Windows as what is essentially 'just another app' as far as Linux is concerned. It's with all of this new functionality that you see Linux shine. Because you're not limited to one software company's product releases, features like CPU virtualisation gets support really quickly in the Open Source / Free Software world.

So yeah, but on topic... quite a few games don't need DirectX at all, and quite a few also run natively on Linux. I guess the question is more: what games are you thinking of?

So what your telling me is you NEED both opps to run all software.

Thanks for your informed opinion Narc!

Cheers!

Did I say I have illegal copies Dan?

Your comprehension is lacking. :stupid:

I'm sure you'll think this next time you attempt to log on to someone else's wireless internet connection the next time you travel with your notebook! :p

Comprehension is not lacking, quite clearly the word "Do You have illegal copies" makes it a question not a statement, that you do!

For your benefit: Question: An expression of inquiry that invites or calls for a reply.

Considering you were asking whether i have paid for one, you were quite clearly suggesting that I get them from other sources, and as a clear side note to that, and reading between the lines you were stating that you have illegal copies.

There is a vast difference between connecting to another UNSECURE wireless connection considering many are set up to be like that, so you can connect and downloading ILLEGAL copies of Software.

Now back in your box!

:clap: :clap: for the handicap!

@byso: Just to nit-pick: you need more than just Windows and Linux to run all apps. In reality, you need all possible operating systems to run all apps.

It just depends on what exactly you want to run...

And guys, can we please get some Valium in for Daniel???

[quote author=Narcissus]

There's two major 3D libraries that are used by games (I'm assuming that's what we're talking about). The first is DirectX, which can be emulated to varying degrees of perfection through WINE and Cedega and the other, which is OpenGL. OpenGL (I believe!) started out in UNIX and so is supported natively by Linux.

As I said: quite a few of the newer games come with native Linux clients anyway, so you would just run it like any other game. That depends on the development house and the spectrum of support is huge.

Having said that, there's no reason why you can't just reboot to Windows for your games if you like and with the newer CPUs that support virtualisation and so on, it will be possible quite soon to run Windows as what is essentially 'just another app' as far as Linux is concerned. It's with all of this new functionality that you see Linux shine. Because you're not limited to one software company's product releases, features like CPU virtualisation gets support really quickly in the Open Source / Free Software world.

So yeah, but on topic... quite a few games don't need DirectX at all, and quite a few also run natively on Linux. I guess the question is more: what games are you thinking of?

Cheers!
[/quote]

Byso it is correct in both circumstances!

There is software only available under linux that you can not have under windows. So its a moot point.

Obviously older legacy software may need windows, but I would question the need to run those apps at any rate.

I will always have a windows install at least in a partition, because well, the world is too entrenched in windows at the moment to not have at least 1 install.

I just dont get how you rate your self a techie and dont want an install of linux......

[quote author=byso]
[quote author=Narcissus]

Cheers!
[/quote]

There is software only available under linux that you can not have under windows. So its a moot point.

Obviously older legacy software may need windows, but I would question the need to run those apps at any rate.

I will always have a windows install at least in a partition, because well, the world is too entrenched in windows at the moment to not have at least 1 install.

I just dont get how you rate your self a techie and dont want an install of linux......
[/quote]

Don't really rate myself as anything. I simply give my opinions when I see fit.

But I was simply trying to drag out of you guys that Linux isn't all you initially portraid it to be. As you admin it is necessary to have both opps on a PC. Therefore is it a good option for the "everyday" user?

Dan In regard to you defensive attitude regarding comprehension. Its quite clear that lost it with that drivel!

Cheers

[quote author=Daniel]
[quote author=byso]
[quote author=Narcissus]

Cheers!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't really rate myself as anything. I simply give my opinions when I see fit.

But I was simply trying to drag out of you guys that Linux isn't all you initially portraid it to be. As you admin it is necessary to have both opps on a PC. Therefore is it a good option for the "everyday" user?

Dan In regard to you defensive attitude regarding comprehension. Its quite clear that lost it with that drivel!

Cheers

[/quote]

You really are thicker than you pretend arent you......what i dont get is how you dont fall over more

No suggest that you re-read the threads to see where you went wrong though!

perhaps get your dictionary out too jsut so you know the correct meaning of words, cant really help with your comprehension and phrasing though!

No suggest that you re-read the threads to see where you went wrong though!

perhaps get your dictionary out too jsut so you know the correct meaning of words, cant really help with your comprehension and phrasing though!

Funny fella aren't you. Especially when your wrong! :clap:

moron...deadset moron, it isn't worth the stress talking to you. You are honestly on of the hardest people to talk to because your own stupidity blinds you to all but your own wrong opinions and ideas!

Daniel Out!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7