One for the techies

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevie

Reserve Grader
Trying to do a fresh reinstall of Xp , But it keeps giving me missing files error
this on a clean Hard drive after reformating , same on 2 different hard drives
I was thinking maybe bad Ram ???? any ideas Gentlemen ?

Can you be more specific with the errors?

What is the exact error?
At what point does it show the error?

If it is ram try swapping out some of the ram, butif it happens on 2 other machines its more likely just a dodgy disk

I will put the exact error up later shows as missing dlls
used different cd's , its a new pioneer dvd drive, it does it on preparing for installation , its like the system files it copies for the actual install arent copying to the HD or they are corrupting machine has 2 hard drives same problem trying to install to either (its not my machine by the way)

Just try swapping out the cdrom drive, it may be that there are no dos drivers to run it correctly.

Worse comes to worse, try installing a previous version of windows and then install XP over the top.

Linux is better anyway

Yeah install Linux instead, i'm that would go down well :)

Ubuntu linux is easy to install and as easy to use as Windows

It can run most, and what it cant you can find better alternatives for free.

I am setting up a new linux machine tonight, just deciding on the distro to install

If you are capable of formattinga drive and installing XP, or at least knowign the proc behind it, then I would ay ubuntu wouldnt be a big challenge

First things first: if you want to test your RAM, download and burn the ISO file from http://www.memtest86.com/ and reboot from the CD. Memtest86 is *the* RAM tester (well, that you or I can afford and it's free).

Secondly, Linux: it all depends on what distribution you're using. My flavour of the month is Ubuntu. I had a New Year's resolution to be using Linux for everything that I could use it for (practically everything). I'm a little slow on resolutions but having just installed Ubuntu, I still believe I can make it by year's end.

Installing Ubuntu is easier than Windows, no doubt (and don't let the naysayers tell you otherwise). You answer a few questions then a whole slew of software is installed. Drivers for pretty much all of your hardware are automatically installed, too. If you've set up a Windows machine from scratch, you'll agree that Ubuntu is way easier to get to a running state.

Installing software in Ubuntu is generally easier too as it uses software repositories of thousands of applications and a nice little app that wraps them all up. if I want to install a word processor I search for 'word processor', select the one I want and Ubuntu downloads and installs it (as well as anything it requires). Click a button to see if there are any updates for everything that's currently installed: that's nice too.

WINE (the Windows Emulator) is getting pretty good to run Windows apps if need be. It's not fantastic with games, though getting better. Cedega is another program based on WINE (you have to pay for Cedega) and it's main focus is games, so that could be good. Note, though, that a fair few of the games that are coming out now have Linux clients available, anyway. Also, don't be put off by the fact that WINE is an emulator: speeds are near native and for some apps, actually better than running natively under Windows.

Now that you're formatting, it's the perfect time to at least have a play. When partitioning your hard drive, set aside 5 or 10 or 20 gigabytes and install Ubuntu into that partition. It's best to install Linux after Windows, as Windows doesn't play well when installing alongside another operating system. When installing Ubuntu, it will recognise that you have Windows already installed and it will set up a boot loader so that you can decide which OS to boot into.

All in all, there's no harm in trying it. Just be ready to learn a new system. It's all fairly easy to run these days but sometimes you just have to think about what you're trying to do. Which is just the same as if you went to a Mac, for example.

With Linux, there are two major window interfaces: GNOME (which reminds me of a Mac interface) and KDE (which reminds me of a Windows interface). Ubuntu, by default, uses GNOME, though you can install KDE alongside it and just use which ever one you want.

Another distribution that's meant to be good is called SUPER. It's based on OpenSuSE (which is based on SuSE) and it's meant to be pretty easy to get a hang of, too. It's at http://www.opensuse.org/SUPER .

Anyway, give it a shot, and let us know how it turns out... Just remember, though, that if you complain about it, we have the right to call you a "micro$oft luving n00b", OK?

Does it use direct x9 ?

Microsoft Directx9....no its MICROSOFT

But there are equivelants that can run....

Like Narc said you can use a windows emulator which will run Directx if you want

Why are you so obsessed with Directx??

Does it not make you wonder and worry why Windows is unable to support graphics rendering corrrectly right out of the box?

I go with what software developers support if thats windows xp / direct x.

Thats what i'll use! Why stuff around when theres no need to?

I go with what software developers support if thats windows xp / direct x.

Thats what i'll use! Why stuff around when theres no need to?

because overall the linux experience is better. You have a more stable operating system you have literally millions of free software out there and dont have to pay for things you do on windows.

The security is better and ultimately you have full control of your operating system and computer rather than having a little bit of control.
For the tiny hassle of maybe compiling some code (but not so with ubuntu because of the auto install features) it makes life a lot easier.

Your pretty much limitless in what you can do with linux and the best part is that that limitlessness comes for free.

For a good example, lets say you wanted to make a media centre for windows -> you could go with a few less than perfect donation based options.....or you can pay thousands for the windows media center.

Linux -> download myth Tv or one of its varients........FREE! same amount of agrivation, just install and your away.

And you say what software developers support......umm that is the most generalised and crazy answer you have given. Most developers support linux and want to make it available, hell most PC manufacturors have a fair few models with linux installed from day 1.

What you should have said is "I am an M$ gimp, and prefer to be anally raped and pillaged by a corporation and it's partners because I am too scared and lazy to use linux"

I think your talking ****e it's obvious that you and your mate are pushing the Linux agenda.

p.s whens the last time you payed for a MS product?

I think your talking ****e it's obvious that you and your mate are pushing the Linux agenda.

p.s whens the last time you payed for a MS product?

When i bought my last computer I bought a license. Are you saying you have illegal copies of software there byso?
Do you think that is wise. How would you feel if someone stole all the work you had done?

Imagine doing years of R&D just to have the product stolen......Linux does this for free anyway, and the reason they release it free is to improve its quality and the quality of computers overall, whereas MS are only interested in their bottom line

@byso: I won't go on as much of a tangent as Daniel seems to have done :)

There's two major 3D libraries that are used by games (I'm assuming that's what we're talking about). The first is DirectX, which can be emulated to varying degrees of perfection through WINE and Cedega and the other, which is OpenGL. OpenGL (I believe!) started out in UNIX and so is supported natively by Linux.

As I said: quite a few of the newer games come with native Linux clients anyway, so you would just run it like any other game. That depends on the development house and the spectrum of support is huge.

Having said that, there's no reason why you can't just reboot to Windows for your games if you like and with the newer CPUs that support virtualisation and so on, it will be possible quite soon to run Windows as what is essentially 'just another app' as far as Linux is concerned. It's with all of this new functionality that you see Linux shine. Because you're not limited to one software company's product releases, features like CPU virtualisation gets support really quickly in the Open Source / Free Software world.

So yeah, but on topic... quite a few games don't need DirectX at all, and quite a few also run natively on Linux. I guess the question is more: what games are you thinking of?

And do you think we would push the agenda if we dint think it was worth it?

Have any of our software reccomendations been bad?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8