Olakau'Atu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
IMO he hasn't been utilised properly and our distributors needs to hitting him early with the ball when he is at pace. I'd like to see him outside of Schuster.
Yes,yes,yes. Olakau'atu and Koula should've both been outside of Foran except the now booted myopic dinosaur coach couldn't see it. I hope that they both get to play outside of the Schu this year rather than the turnstile dump passer.

IMO he hasn't been utilised properly and our distributors needs to hitting him early with the ball when he is at pace. I'd like to see him outside of Schuster.
Agree. The right side service is horrible. The only time he got early ball was when DCE was on origin duty and foran made him look exactly like kikau. But no one wants to take that seriously stating the teams we played were lowly, but we dont beat top 4 sides and last season struggled with top 8 sides so the same could be said for dce anyway .
but the results are not the only guideline, our form and structure was markedly improved

DCE uses up all the space swerving, double pumping and crabbing until the defence looms and he just chucks it to a flat footed oku.

i presume dce is right side because of his kick, but he rarely makes anyone outside him look better. Shuster for right or oku and koula for left .

Just further to this, a comparison to Kikau last season who is simliar as an attacking impact player and a player that most in the game consider to be elite.

Tries
Olakau'atu - 10
Kikau - 9

Try Assists
Kikau - 10
Olakau'atu - 0

Rum metres per game
Olakau'atu - 99
Kikau - 85

Line breaks
Olakau'atu - 10
Kikau - 9

Tackle busts
Olakau'atu - 100
Kikau - 63

Offloads
Kikau - 42
Olakau'atu - 9

Tackles per game
Olakau'atu - 25
Kikau - 21

Missed tackles
Olakau'atu - 49
Kikau - 71

Errors
Olakau'atu - 16
Kikau - 28

Tackle efficiency
Olakau'atu - 87%
Kikau - 84%

Penalties
Olakau'atu - 5
Kikau - 16

Are we saying Kikau had a very very average year?
Glaring difference is offloads and try assists. The big O needs some lessons in passing and offloads.

Glaring difference is offloads and try assists. The big O needs some lessons in passing and offloads.
Yeah that was surprising considering how often he stands in a tackle carrying the ball like its a grape. Think if he was encouraged he could pop some nice basketball passes.

He usually copped crash ball from DCE with about 3 guys ready to smash him.
Pretty much. Everyone knows dce wont run it so his supports are marked heavily, part of why he runs in circles, trying to create without the basic understanding of committing defenders And hoping they commit themselves

even more so when he throws a conservative pass, meaning it conserves himself

I expect that Olakau'atu's attack will improve significantly under Flanagan. When he was commentating last year, Olakau'atu made a big bust upfield, didn't look for support & died with the ball. If he'd passed to a looming Turbo on his inside, it would have been a certain try. Flanagan said if a player he was coaching did this, he would be given a warning - 'if you don't look for your support players in the next game, you will be dropped.'

Yeah that was surprising considering how often he stands in a tackle carrying the ball like its a grape. Think if he was encouraged he could pop some nice basketball passes.
I think he would go better on the left where the right hand offload goes outside
the same offload on the right turns the play back inside

i wonder if des had parker outside foran to help with defence. If so we could see a change

Pretty much. Everyone knows dce wont run it so his supports are marked heavily, part of why he runs in circles, trying to create without the basic understanding of committing defenders And hoping they commit themselves

even more so when he throws a conservative pass, meaning it conserves himself

DCE was third in halfbacks behind Hughes and Hynes for run metres in 2022 (4th if you count Hastings but he played mostly lock and 5/8)

If you talk RM per game then he was 4th behind Hynes, Hughes and Cleary. (5th if counting Hastings)

Actually and I could be wrong but I’m sure I saw him offload to someone last year for a try
I could be wrong and it could have been 2021 but I’m sure i remember him just standing and giving the ball to someone who scored

Yeah stats dont show the full picture but they do help disprove the narrative that he had a "very average year".
Remember , it’s an opinion.

You can throw stats at me all day long but in my opinion I thought , compared to the previous year he was average.

I can hardly remember him being talked about , or winning many votes on the player of the day that we do. I’m not saying no votes , but he was far from top of the tree each week.

You can throw stats at me all day long but in my opinion I thought , compared to the previous year he was average.

I can hardly remember him being talked about , or winning many votes on the player of the day that we do. I’m not saying no votes , but he was far from top of the tree each week.
Yeah, I think it was more a hot and cold season for him last year that gives the impression that he was a bit off, despite the stats. 21 he just killed it but the rest of the team (and particularly Turbo) all played much better. And in the interview he did recently, he talked about his immaturity last year. So I'm looking forward to a big year from him this year. I think the new coaches will be really good for him.

Pretty sure he won last year.

Here are the results.
Firstly apologies for the delay in getting the final results out. I've updated each thread since Rd 19 with the weekly MVP results.

It was very tight in the end with two players entering the final round tied for first, with one of the those players receiving 3 points in Rd 25 and therefore the 2022 Silvertails MVP.

So, your 2022 Silvertails MVP is...................................

Haumole Olakau'atu

He narrowly beat out Foz for the 2022 honour.

Leaderboard and Honour Roll below

Final Leaderboard
Big O
26​
Foz
23​
DCE
14​
Sandwich
14​
Aloiai
12.5​
Jake
12​
Froggy
6.5​
Tippytoes
5​
Walker
4​
Lionel
4​
Koula
4​
Turbo
3​
Saab
3​
Scorpio
3​
Davey
2​
Burbo
2​
Weekes
2​
Kapow
1​
Bully
1​
The Bus
1​
Sippers
1​

Silvertails MVP Honour Roll
2013Kieran Foran
2014Kieran Foran
2015Jake Trbojevic
2016Jake Trbojevic
2017Daly Cherry-Evans
2018Jake Trbojevic
2019Addin Fonua-Blake
2020Daly Cherry-Evans
2021Tom Trbojevic
2022Haumole Olakau'atu

Thanks everyone for voting each week!

Yeah, I think it was more a hot and cold season for him last year that gives the impression that he was a bit off, despite the stats. 21 he just killed it but the rest of the team (and particularly Turbo) all played much better. And in the interview he did recently, he talked about his immaturity last year. So I'm looking forward to a big year from him this year. I think the new coaches will be really good for him.
Agree , I’m not suggesting stats lie but in my opinion his 2022 wasn’t as good as his 2021 , that year he was super dominant.

Hope he has a big year in 2023.

DCE was third in halfbacks behind Hughes and Hynes for run metres in 2022 (4th if you count Hastings but he played mostly lock and 5/8)

If you talk RM per game then he was 4th behind Hynes, Hughes and Cleary. (5th if counting Hastings)
A very big part of his run meters are backing up others for tries and says little about his abilty to take on the line to create for others. i felt that was the point i was making.

He is top shelf at backing up, best in the game probably but not too flash at-many more important game factors for a rep halfback

not many clean breaks by DCE if that is what this is implying.

do you recall many instances of dce splitting the line and opening the defence Lately To me that is good run metres,

A very big part of his run meters are backing up others for tries and says little about his abilty to take on the line to create for others. i felt that was the point i was making.

He is top shelf at backing up, best in the game probably but not too flash at-many more important game factors for a rep halfback

not many clean breaks by DCE if that is what this is implying.

do you recall many instances of dce splitting the line and opening the defence Lately To me that is good run metres,
DCE was third for halfbacks in the NRL last year for linebreaks behind Hughes and Moses

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8