OK....so WHATS the problem

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
There are many issues

Seem to be a few clowns involved in running the show
Off field player issues
Ridiculous Injury toll
Predictable boring attacking structures
Lack of Energy & attitude
Defensive line at times of a U14 side
Players appear unmotivated & flat
Senior players past used by dates

What's the consensus?
Feel I could have done another 100 factors but what is the key to our problem from a Silvertails perspective?

Coaching - management - players - structures ???????

All of the above and simply the usual cycle of Rugby League in the salary cap era. Happens at every successful club....for different reasons but it is like death and taxes.

No reason to treat this like an apocalypse. Usual stuff. If the coach is no good he will be sacked earlier than people think and we move on.This is Rugby League at its dramatic best.

ps I am assuming this betting stuff is not an issue going forward.

I can only comment on what I see on the football field. Last night was plain. We scored three tries, all of which were individual efforts. We simply don't have any cohesion. I'm sure most of the players are busting their guts. But a lack of teamwork must surely be slated back to the coaching.
There are now very few 'Manly moments' we had been used to seeing in previous seasons when we'd execute clever backline moves and length-of-the-field tries.
It seems to me that the coach/team is more concerned with not losing than with chancing their arms in the pursuit of points.

New (rookie) coaching staff - tick
Injuries - tick
ageing players @ the end of their careers - tick

The coaching staff put a lot of time & thought into developing a playing structure. This structure should be unique to each playing group and can often take time to gel.

Perhaps more than any other factor, all of the players need to buy into it. This can be difficult if you're not winning. In those instances, it's the club spirit amongst the players that sustains them. However if there's dissension in the playing group, it makes the coaches job that much harder.

Manly have the makings of a very good team. Tough times will often serve to build the resolve required for future success. Hopefully the good times aren't too far away.

Should have kept Toovey for this year with Barrett as his assistant, then Toovey takes over Zorba's roll in 2017 whilst Barrett becomes head coach. This way he gets to know the players.
Should have kept Don Singe, with Luke O'Donnell his assistant.
Taupau, Walker, Parcell, Koroisau, Lussick are good players. Not sure of the reason for purchasing Brown when we have Buhrer & Symonds.
Should have started Koroisau as DCE's halves partner from the beginning.
Should have tapped a couple of the older players on the shoulder end of last year.
I have more but I'll be here all day.................

There's nothing wrong & there's no injuries it's all a hoax.They just don't want to play,there's no morale within the players.Seriously appart from Newcastle are we capable of beating any other side at the moment.

Boys obviously very disappointed after the loss, but I have never seen tommy like this

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 84
A couple of past it club legends and A LOT of injuries that stop us from building any combinations or consistency. Add that to it being year one of transition phase, from old to new and it just creates a big mess. But sometimes you have to fail a bit on the road to success. Happens in everything.

Last edited:
We need to remove all our veterans and dead wood this year and the coach. Start again rebuild the culture.

Stewart-Out
Matai-Out
Lyon-Out
Mateo-Out
Lawrence-Out
Starling-Out
Symonds-Out
Moltzen-Out
Satini-Out
Williame-Out
John-Out
Hodges-Out
Burgess-Out
Green-Out
Leary-Out

Sounds stupid to remove almost all of your playing roster but the reality is these players are the ones out of form, injured all the time and have shown nothing all year. If we are rebuilding a culture you need to have commitment and enthusiasm. I'm happy to miss the finals for 2017 if that means we can save money to spend on proper quality players for 2018.

Broncos first year of a rebuild with Barbar was a failure. They pissed the Coach, spent big on the Milf, Boyd and Benny and are sitting pretty.

We need to go and get the best young and up coming superstars with an old wise coach.

Too much Penrith and Souths influence.
No planning, resulting in rushed acquisitions of discard players for way too much money.
Fallout from big headed players running the club and associating with bad people
Lack in intelligence among members of management
A game that is changing rapidly and Manly not keeping up because they are constantly putting out fires
An unfit squad because competent people in the training squad let go
A poorly coached squad because a club legend let go due to a vendetta against him
Lies.
Greed.
Lack of support from the NRL, and bias toward other clubs
NRL conspiracy to get Manly's license

These are some of the problems I see.

Its like the perfect bloody storm has hit us. Everything going wrong at once. It really is a combination of everything Maxta stated in the OP. The bigger question is how do we fix it. I think we need to start with the Coach. I don't rate Barrett as far as i could throw him. Seriously, just bring back Toovey if we cant find a top tier coach straight away, he gave us better results with a worse lineup last year.

key players from the past decade getting old or left, simples. G.Stewart, Watmough, Foran, Kite, Ballin, Hiku etc.
its a transition period. We will be back next year. As long as we have 7 or 8 key players for the next decade, that are quality, we'll be all good. And we have that now at the club anyways, just need the team to gel and positions to be sorted. Cherry evans, walker, trbojevic t, trbojevic j, taupau, parcell, buhrer. Buy an experienced five eighth and a good back rower/forward and we'll be laughing come this time next year.

We need to remove all our veterans and dead wood this year and the coach. Start again rebuild the culture.

Stewart-Out
Matai-Out
Lyon-Out
Mateo-Out
Lawrence-Out
Starling-Out
Symonds-Out
Moltzen-Out
Satini-Out
Williame-Out
John-Out
Hodges-Out
Burgess-Out
Green-Out
Leary-Out

Sounds stupid to remove almost all of your playing roster but the reality is these players are the ones out of form, injured all the time and have shown nothing all year. If we are rebuilding a culture you need to have commitment and enthusiasm. I'm happy to miss the finals for 2017 if that means we can save money to spend on proper quality players for 2018.

keep matai, williame and lawrence if he is available. Matai stil has another year in him and we need an experienced head if theyre still playing quality footy. Williame is actually improving and i can see him developing well this year with all the game time he will get through injuries, wouldnt mind him on the wing next year.

Stewart-Out
Matai-Out
Lyon-Out
Mateo-Out
Lawrence-Out
Starling-Out
Symonds-Out
Moltzen-Out
Satini-Out
Williame-Out
John-Out
Hodges-Out
Burgess-Out
Green-Out
Leary-Out

Chill. Killer is going, stewie should as well plus half a dozen others we should be able to make some smart purchases. But we do need to lock up our own talent that exists. Problem is they've signed some non performers 2 or more years. Just hope they get it right

Snake had a phenomenal season last year so I can see why the club extended him for next year. However he is obviously playing with an injury this year. I wouldn't write him off yet though. He is 31. If he can get over these hammy injuries he could still be a massive asset.

If however Snake retires at the end of this year then it makes the losses of Hiku and Gutherson really hurt as we could have used them next year and To let them go to only get one more year out of killer and snake is very unfortunate.

Physically we look like a reserve grade squad.

Mentally we play like a reserve grade squad.

Structurally we play like a yr 2000 squad.

Footwork is at the levels of yr 2000.

Not enough raw in your face toughness or intensity that inspires others.

Lack of ball playing options off the back of quality structures.

Option runners supporting the lead runner or running off the ballplayer are lacking in numbers, lacking in believable purpose and not feared.

Dumb one out hard forward runs from Lussick that lack thought or variety to take the heat off the lead runner, basically wasting the big effort. Manly really can't be wasting the odd hard intensity hit up that we have on offer so lets make the most of the times we do show a little purposeful running.

Manly are playing like a new squad, a new coach and a squad in transition.

Barrett will have to round 10 next year to show that the tide is turning into the next growth stage---it doesn't have to be a major shift but the obvious signs of the next building blocks on show with improved structures starting to shine through---if not an older head will be sounded out and we will be paying overs once again.

Snake had a phenomenal season last year so I can see why the club extended him for next year. However he is obviously playing with an injury this year. I wouldn't write him off yet though. He is 31. If he can get over these hammy injuries he could still be a massive asset.

If however Snake retires at the end of this year then it makes the losses of Hiku and Gutherson really hurt as we could have used them next year and To let them go to only get one more year out of killer and snake is very unfortunate.
The structures are gone, the ball-players on his inside "Foran and G.Stewart" to best setup his injection into the backline are gone, which leads to basically "zero try assists" if you really want to call them that (i never have)

Brett is just an experienced head at the back that is composed under the high ball now----he is very limited in every other facet of the game skillset wise and lacks the speed and strength to create something out of nothing.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6