Game Day: NYC2017 PF2 - Manly v Dragons

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Wright was quiet but when he got the ball he did look classy. His defence was sound.
Obviously the standouts were Nos 7, 9 and 13 with most of the others having good touches. It was a courageous performance because Illawarra had all the possession in the first 30 minutes of the second half, helped by a lot of penalties.
The turning point was when Illawarra opted for a penalty goal at 18-all, and missed. Manly just needed some possession because they looked to have a heap of players who could cut the opposition open.

image.ashx

http://www.nrl.com/giant-killer-sea...l-spot/tabid/10874/newsid/112410/default.aspx

The Sea Eagles have continued their giant-killing finals run in the Holden Cup with an upset 34-18 win over the Dragons to book a spot in the NYC grand final thanks to a stunning solo display by halfback Cade Cust.

Having finished the regular season in eighth spot, Manly have claimed wins over the fifth-placed Cowboys, the minor premiers, Cronulla, and the Dragons, who earned a week off after a narrow victory in the qualifying final.

Next week will be Manly's first appearance in the decider since 2015, while they are the first eighth-placed side to reach the grand final since the Warriors carved up the competition in 2014.

St George Illawarra might have started slowly but they had all the running for the middle 40 minutes as they dominated possession and territory, however they were left to rue several blown chances as they fell to their sixth loss from as many preliminary finals.

Missed opportunities dictated the opening 15 minutes of the contest with Jackson Ford and Brayden Gallagher spurning great chances for the Dragons while the Sea Eagles were unable to find the line despite five sets in in a row in the red zone.

The weight of possession finally told when lock forward Haumole Olakau'atu bashed his way through to give Manly the lead and it didn't take them long to double their advantage when rampaging centre Tevita Funa burst into the clear and put in a spectacular banana kick to find Jade Anderson back on the inside to make it 12-0.

Things were looking dicey for the Red V until Trent Peoples steadied the ship with a powerful run one off the ruck to cut the gap to six points after 30 minutes.

The comeback was short-lived, however, as Olakau'atu strolled over for his second courtesy of a magical no-look inside pass from Cust to make it 18-6 at the break.

St George Illawarra enjoyed a perfect start to the second half when a game of pinball near their line ended up in the hands of big man TJ Uele who unloaded the ball to Joe Lovodua who stepped his way through to reduce the deficit.

Momentum was all with the Dragons who went agonisingly close on several occasions before they finally drew level when Jackson Willis pretended to kick, sliced through and then grubbered ahead for Ford to score an amazing team try.

The Dragons had a chance to take the lead when they were awarded a penalty from the next set within range, but Willis hooked his shot to leave the scored locked at 18-all with 14 minutes remaining.

Having defended their line for what seemed like 20 minutes straight, Manly finally worked their way into good field position and made the most of their rare opportunity when Cust delivered another stunning flick pass to Olakau'atu who showed enough strength to crash over for his third try of the afternoon.

A six-point lead was never going to be safe, and having laid on a number of four-pointers for his teammates, Cust sealed his side's passage to the grand final with a couple of solo tries at the death to cap an outstanding individual performance.

Sea Eagles 34 (Haumole Olakau'atu 3, Cade Cust 2, Jade Anderson, tries; Tevita Funa 5 goals) def. Dragons 18 (Trent Peoples, Joe Lovodua, Jackson Ford tries; Jackson Willis 2, Reuben Garrick 1 goals) at Allianz Stadium. Half-time: Sea Eagles 18-6.

What a ridiculous statement. Wright was quiet, we went away from him most of the game and maybe that was the plan or perhaps it was because Haumole was causing havoc on the left edge with Cust. You watch the latter stages and it vindicates your position? Please. Surely there is homework to be done.

Smithy, I agree with your assessment of Wright's performance ... but I can assure you that no coach in the 110 year history of Rugby League has ever come up with a game plan that included the words "don't pass the ball to our best player"

Smithy, I agree with your assessment of Wright's performance ... but I can assure you that no coach in the 110 year history of Rugby League has ever come up with a game plan that included the words "don't pass the ball to our best player"
@Woodsie not suggesting that, suggesting that we were having considerable success down that left edge so just kept going there. Obviously teams come with a plan to attack a certain edge or perceived weakness it looked as if ours was to attack their right edge. It kept coming up trumps so we kept going there. Hardly meant Wright was rocks, which suggested he was terrible and mistake ridden.

How was wright's defence. A quiet game in attack is probably a good thing in the lead up to the gf. Powder dry. Both halves on fire next week!

@Woodsie not suggesting that, suggesting that we were having considerable success down that left edge so just kept going there. Obviously teams come with a plan to attack a certain edge or perceived weakness it looked as if ours was to attack their right edge. It kept coming up trumps so we kept going there.

Agree, if it's working .. keep working it.

Manly would have known that Wright would be marked. The advantage is that because the Dragons would be focusing on him they would drop off elsewhere. Good coaching. I suspect this was just clever coaching to keep Wright out of it to keep the Dragons off guard. Gee I hope nothing comes of the biting charge against Anderson. He's needed as a solid full back who chimes in when opportunities arise.

Wright was quiet but when he got the ball he did look classy. His defence was sound.
Obviously the standouts were Nos 7, 9 and 13 with most of the others having good touches. It was a courageous performance because Illawarra had all the possession in the first 30 minutes of the second half, helped by a lot of penalties.
The turning point was when Illawarra opted for a penalty goal at 18-all, and missed. Manly just needed some possession because they looked to have a heap of players who could cut the opposition open.
Spot on Feathered friend . The dragons had all the possession and all the luck including all the 50-50 refs calls but it just goes to prove that if you are resilient enough and good enough you can beat both the opposition and the refs to overcome adversity and win the game . Our NRL team is only a few big fast and skilful players away to emulate this NYC performance of today .

Last edited:
Gee I hope nothing comes of the biting charge against Anderson. He's needed as a solid full back who chimes in when opportunities arise.

Absolutely nothing in it. Both on-field officials couldn't see any mark and the replays don't show anything - he didn't bite the guy, full stop.

What a ridiculous statement. Wright was quiet, we went away from him most of the game and maybe that was the plan or perhaps it was because Haumole was causing havoc on the left edge with Cust. You watch the latter stages and it vindicates your position? Please. Surely there is homework to be done.
I'm not going to make this "ridiculous statement" based off of one off performance am I. If you are oblivious to the fact he is inconsistent and falls in and out of games than I will call your statement a "ridiculous statement". He has flaws in his game and his consistency that needs to be heavily worked on, we just can't presume that he's picture perfect based off of some glimpes, perhaps even games of brilliance, and we certainly can't make a judgement on whether he can be a part of the first grade until he fixes these flaws

I'm not having a dig at you, and I'm not hating on Wright, who I am a fan of, but we just can't ignore his bad side

How was wright's defence. A quiet game in attack is probably a good thing in the lead up to the gf. Powder dry. Both halves on fire next week!
Wright defended well and diffused several grubbers n goal.
Those who are saying he had a poor game and confusing his efforts with that of last week. The ball rarely went to him today. Granted, he may have been able to inject himself into the match. But, we WON the match.
I challenge anyone to pinpoint any errors Wright made today.

Neither of these teams parasites or riff fill me with fear ATM. They aren't near as big or fast and if our boys don't try the miracle balls we should get them by rolling over the top.

Absolutely nothing in it. Both on-field officials couldn't see any mark and the replays don't show anything - he didn't bite the guy, full stop.
Actually he did I'm afraid. It was as clear as a bell; although, it was so soft he wouldn't have bit through a peanut.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12