NSW Origin and Manly star Brett Stewart's exclusive interview with Phil Rothfield

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
IN BRETT Stewart's first one-on-one interview in nearly three years the NSW Origin fullback discusses that false sexual assault allegation, his knee injury and the bitter feud with NRL CEO David Gallop.

Read the full article

Well done to Brett for doing the interview (pity it wasn't with a real journalist) & speaking out about the toughest period in his life. He is a true gentleman of rugby league & will be remembered as a Manly great!

Gallop is not worth anyone's energies, he is a fair and true reflection of News Ltd character.

All the best to Bretty in his re-emergence as a match winner for NSW:heart:

So the paper that crucified him now want us to hear his side of the story. They should have made Kent and Wilson do the interview so Brett could of well and truly verbalised how he felt.

Rothfield's the sports editor of the paper that crucified him. Surprised he did the interview with him. Still, was a good read. What a champion.

Thought he got his point across very well with the abandoned me when i needed it most line

I think Brett answered that clown well.

Overall it was a good read, it's a shame that Rothtool let's himself down by trying to get him to bag the club over the hasler affair.

I like Brett's answer there's two sides to every story.

What a legend snake is !! Hoping he has massive origin series and shows just how good he is ! then re signing at Manly just to top it off

Now we wait for Rebecca Wilsons's follow up piece about how the quotes from Stewart indicate he is still carrying on like a petulant child...

Utility Player said:
Cameron said:
I like Brett's answer there's two sides to every story.

Well worth remembering by those laying the boot into Hasler.

Yes there is. However, had Des left Manly quietly & by himself he would be remembered much more kindly by Manly fans...

Anyone seen the interview with snake and Rothfield in today's tele, it has some good parts, but goddam he is a sanctimonious prick. Anyone got an email address for him, I'd like to give him a piece of my mind, as I'm doubting the comments I posted to the article will be read or even posted.

It's a good interview, and it underlines yet again why Gallop is not a fit leader.
A leader is someone with the courage and humility to admit he gets things wrong. This bloke, 'The Undertaker', continues in denial. He made some terrible decisions to cast Brett out without the presumption of innocence. . .
and this goose was once a lawyer! Imagine him representing someone.

There is another piece up on the DT website now with a quote from Gallop at the end:

I feared I could go to prison, says Brett Stewart

Phil Rothfield
The Daily Telegraph
May 16, 201212:00AM

IN his darkest hours, Brett Stewart was gripped by thoughts of going to jail.

"Absolutely I was," the NSW Origin star said yesterday, breaking a self-imposed three-year media blackout to reveal the nightmare of the 2009 sexual assault charges that almost ruined his life - and his football career.

"I knew I was innocent but my fate was in the hands of 12 jurors. It was my biggest fear. If they didn't see it for what it was, I could have gone to jail."

Stewart also told for the first time of his anger towards NRL boss David Gallop, who banned the Manly fullback for four weeks and fined the club $100,000 when he was charged with sexual assault after Manly's 2009 season launch party.

The NRL said it was not because of the assault claims, but because he was drunk.

After an 18-month legal battle a jury found him not guilty of all charges.

When asked about Mr Gallop, Stewart replied: "Who? I haven't forgotten that he turned his back on me when I needed his support most."

Stewart caused a storm when he said to Mr Gallop after last year's grand final win against the Warriors: "You owe me an apology."

There were times he thought about quitting rugby league but couldn't afford to because of his legal bills.

He thanked his brother Glenn, former Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler and his parents for helping him through the desperate weeks when many suspected he was suffering from depression.

But back in the Blues' State of Origin team for the first time since 2008, Stewart said yesterday: "I'm still not the person I used to be, although I'm getting better."

Last night Mr Gallop said: "We maintain we took the appropriate action and the issue is now in the past. I wish Brett good luck for Origin."

I know he is well within his rights to be dirty with Gallop, but to be honest, I would be even filthier with the media and especially how they treated the story in the early days of it. I wonder if part of the settlement was they would get a one on one interview at some stage?

I went on the record at the time saying he was wrong to suspend you before you'd been to court. Do you feel better about Gallop now?

May be the key as to why he spoke to Rothfield.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4