NRL & The Voice

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't think it is a woke issue ... it's political ... V'Landy's knows he has to work with Labor governments, both Federal and state for the next so many years ....

From ground funding, to big event bidding, to junior financing, to gambling taxes and laws ... he knows who he has to kowtow to ...

I think it's a deeply political (we're being asked to change the constitution!!) and as such I don't think sport has place in political debate. I watch and enjoy sport to escape things like politics. But I Suspect Woodside is on the money - but also believe there is massive fear out there at being labelled racist (by the woke) if you don't agree with this new body.

So Peter V was only chasing the gambling dollars to ensure he did not go broke from this woke statement?

Discuss (nicely if we can)
I can see most sporting organisations going this way and supporting the voice, that doesn’t mean it will make it mandatory for all staff and players to have to follow suit and support the voice.

like in any organisation there will be people who vote no, it’s a personal choice how you vote in the end.

Corporations including sporting ones will basically get on the bandwagon on what they believe is the populist virtue to signal. This is a sign of our times. I think one would be naive to take this too seriously. Corporations are not like people, their sole responsibility is to serve its own respective needs, nothing more…

Last edited:
Frankly, it cracks me up that people even care what the NRL or any other sporting group supports or doesn't support. Protestations about this are just bizarre to me. Seriously, if the NRL supporting this proposal is going to influence someone's decision, then the country's future is doomed anyway. If people don't support the "Voice" because of their own prejudice or coz they genuinely believe, after giving it due consideration and just don't believe it's the right thing to do, then goodo but to be crapping on about sporting groups giving support - oh my, there just ain't much more to say about that. FFS people, think for yourselves, already!! And just an aside - thank goodness there were no sporting boycotts against apartheid. Frickin politics and sport!!

Last edited:
Frankly, it cracks me up that people even care what the NRL or any other sporting group supports or doesn't support. Protestations about how this are just bizarre to me. Seriously, if the NRL supporting this proposal is going to influence someone's decision, then the country's future is doomed anyway. If people don't support the "Voice" because of their own prejudice or coz they genuinely believe, after giving it due consideration and just don't believe it's the right thing to do, then goodo but to be crapping on about sporting groups giving support - oh my, there just ain't much more to say about that. FFS people, think for yourselves, already!! And just an aside - thank goodness there were no sporting boycotts against apartheid. Frickin politics and sport!!

Do you feel it is appropriate for an incumbent government to entice, lobby, cajole or downright blackmail sporting organizations to make political statements supporting an agenda ... especially one that is split down party lines.

What inducements or hinted threats have been made for non compliance ...

If the opposition was in power would it be okay for sporting bodies to , (with one eye on grants) .. promote a no vote?

But maybe you are correct ... nothing to see here ... corruption is so boring..

That's just your cynical view Woodsie (and I'm an old fart cynic as much as anyone) and I have no evidence that what you are saying is true. And even if it is, so what! The thrust of my point is that if you are making decisions on issues such as this from what the NRL is supporting, then you're a moron. And I'm not saying you're a moron coz I don't believe you would be making a decision based on what the NRL is advocating....... or not

That's just your cynical view Woodsie (and I'm an old fart cynic as much as anyone) and I have no evidence that what you are saying is true. And even if it is, so what! The thrust of my point is that if you are making decisions on issues such as this from what the NRL is supporting, then you're a moron. And I'm not saying you're a moron coz I don't believe you would be making a decision based on what the NRL is advocating....... or not

I agree that anyone being swayed by a sporting body to vote a certain way in a constitutional matter .. would be a numbnut ... but there is no national shortage of numbnuts.

But cohersion by government for partison political gain is not nothing ... even a hint by a backroom staffer that a review of a ban on gambling and alcohol advertising in sport would have the NRL ****ting chips. ..

It is corrupt.

I agree that anyone being swayed by a sporting body to vote a certain way in a constitutional matter .. would be a numbnut ... but there is no national shortage of numbnuts.

But cohersion by government for partison political gain is not nothing ... even a hint by a backroom staffer that a review of a ban on gambling and alcohol advertising in sport would have the NRL ****ting chips. ..

It is corrupt.
Maybe I've missed something coz I've been on holidays in sunny QLD until this afternoon but has it been established that there has been actual Govt coercion regarding the NRL? Do you get as openly concerned about the multi national lobbyists that frequent Parliament House trying to coerce govt policy? Or internal political party coercion or etc etc. I'm absolutely with you that if corruption is evident (or even suspected) then it should be investigated (where's Toovs when you need him) and those found to act illegally be held to account. But again, my main point is - do your own reading, get both sides of the argument and make your own damn decision. And as it is very unlike me to go on about such things on this forum, I'll leave it at that. I get boring very quickly. Can we just get a damn win on the weekend!!

I don't think it is a woke issue ... it's political ... V'Landy's knows he has to work with Labor governments, both Federal and state for the next so many years ....
The NRL say they've supported the Uluru Statement of the Heart in full since 2017, hence they support the Voice. You think Labor was in power in 2017?

Of course it is political and you'd know I am as cynical about the principles of the NRL, and V'Landys in particular, as anyone. But in this case their political stance is affected not by Labor or Liberal but by the significant Indigenous presence in the game of rugby league. And especially a need to distance themselves from racism in our footy codes, highlighted by shocking publicity incuding incidents such as immortal-in-waiting Johns getting sacked from the Origin camp in 2010, and in AFL the Goodes booing saga in 2013.

The NRL supported Close the Gap, they publicly acknowledge there is a gap, and some of the most high profile players are Indigenous and have been active in raising awareness of issues affecting First Nations people. Totally different scenario back in the 20th century of course but in the current political context the game would have been foolish not to support them.

So no it's nothing to do with supporting Labor but it is to do with making a show of supporting Indigenous people by supporting the Uluru statement, which called for the Voice.

As for people saying a sport shouldn't get involved with politics, that argument has been well and truly destroyed, so I assume all those saying it now are simply opposed to the Voice!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4