NRL & The Voice

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It means to be awake. Aware of issues and not happy to be told what to think ie by foxnews.
The non-woke are sleeping into nothingness. They are stuck with 1950's ideologies.
I use to be asleep but now I’m “woke”.

Can some kind person explain to me what woke means or is?

I honestly have no idea.

Seems like a term thrown around a lor these days.

Woke is a buzz word the right use to call anyone with any form of progressive view.
A bit overused now I think.

Issue with the term woke for me is that it limits actual discussion.

There are people from a different political view to mine that have relevant points worth discussing - this is where I have an issue with the term woke which is as lazy as when the left calls things facist.

As for people saying a sport shouldn't get involved with politics, that argument has been well and truly destroyed, so I assume all those saying it now are simply opposed to the Voice!

complete self congratulating balderdash

Can some kind person explain to me what woke means or is?

I honestly have no idea.

Seems like a term thrown around a lor these days.
For what it's worth, this is what ChatGPT says about 'woke' (emphasis added :) )

The term "woke" has evolved over time and can have different meanings depending on the context and the person using it. Originally, it was used to describe someone who was aware of social injustices, particularly related to racism and discrimination, and actively worked towards creating change.

However, in recent years, the term has taken on a more complex meaning, often used in a derogatory way to describe people who are seen as overly politically correct or overly concerned with issues of social justice. Some people may use the term "woke" to criticize others for being too sensitive or taking things too seriously.

Overall, the term "woke" has become somewhat divisive and can be interpreted in different ways by different people. It is important to understand the context in which it is being used and to consider the perspective of the person using it.

the NRL has been taking money from the Fed gov to test for Recreational drugs as well as performance enhancing for a number of reasons
player A tests for cocaine and player B for weed is not necessary or helpful in the media yet it does to hold sway

Its very similar in thats its political

the problem facing Australians is they dont know what a union looks like. its no AWU but any organisation that can influence its followers like sports and religion and does politically is a union . Maybe not its core business but once large enough its muscle will be flexed

you see it on here every couple of years. vote bla bla for a brookie revamp to ensure the dog walking, frisbee throwing , hippies stay off brookie as example

anyway the vote , at least people are talking. plenty needs to be said, sad that it has to be a yes/no process so gov can be at arms length. great its about the people but we need to have better preparation

the media can and will educate people to its agenda so a responsible gov should be televising large forums with qualified professionals for the lazy arse at best. On the ABC or online of course so its not sponsored by something hugely inappropriate making your vote finger licking good ,

Seems to me that anyone on the left is 'Woke'. Anyone on the right is 'Racist' or 'bigoted'. When you are a far leftie everyone who doesn't agree with you is a bigot. On the far right everyone to the left are woke etc. Just a load of rubbish.

It seems that political propaganda surrounds us in all things. Would love to keep it out of the footy.

Is it our words or our actions which are now dividing us? Or both?

Is life now a 'zero-sum' game where the apparent ascendancy of one group ensures the descent of another? Historically it has been ever so, thus the fear. Shouldn't be - but pragmatically, it has been.

It's all about perceived intentions - trust versus distrust - which is of course grounded in the past.

I'm all for the truth - but in terms of 'truth-telling', why are reparations so integral to the process? A reparation of 'sorry'.....or vindictive reparations which ensure future conflict? The kind that ensured the First World War lessons were not learned, and led directly to the Second?

What is the statute of limitations on past grievances?

If it happened in the past 200 years, is that more 'factual' than something that happened 1,000 or 2,000 years ago? If we believe that the peoples of Serbian versus Croatian extraction, or Greek vs Turkish, Jewish vs Arab, English vs Irish, etc - should 'let go' of their historical bias /hatred against one another (over millennia in some cases), just live in harmony........here in Australia...........while we can't sort out our domestic divisive issues (to the betterment of all), then they can rightly call us hypocrites.

So - The Voice - if it can be proven to better the lives of Indigenous Australians - good. A word of caution - Australia is already one of the more egalitarian (in terms of 'western democracies') societies on the planet. If one group is perceived to be 'first among equals' by the constitution itself, expect trouble. Equals, yes, but not first among equals. If you push the US-style 'positive affirmation' mantra, expect push-back from most of the populace. Don't expect that modern society is an endless wellspring (particularly economic) of bountiful, enforced redress, with a healthy dose of re-written history thrown in.

If you want to see how that's worked out, look deeply into the modern histories of both Zimbabwe and South Africa.

As to the semantics of 'woke' etc..........perhaps both our politicians and we ourselves could learn a new language:

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7