NRL talking to clubs to publish figures on TPAs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Nrl.com

NRL talking to clubs to publish figures on TPAs
Author
Brad WalterSenior Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 19 Feb 2018, 07:44 PM
The NRL will retain third-party agreements outside the salary cap but is considering publishing the total amount each club's players earn through private sponsorship deals.

NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said players' individual earnings would not be disclosed but he believes greater transparency would help dispel many of the concerns about the amount some clubs are able to attract in third-party agreements.

Club chief executives were last week shown a breakdown of third-party agreements, which revealed only three clubs had players whose combined earnings from private sponsorships exceeded $500,000 in 2017.

The club with the most valuable private sponsorship deals - understood to be the Melbourne Storm - has players earning a total of $788,000, while Brisbane Broncos and Penrith Panthers stars have combined third party agreements of about $550,000 each.

That order is likely to change this season following the departures of Matt Moylan and Bryce Cartwright from the Panthers.

The fourth club, believed to be based outside of Sydney, has third party agreements totalling just above $300,000, while another two had private deals worth more than $200,000 each and six clubs were below $100,000, with the lowest being $26,000.

Sydney Roosters are believed to be mid-table.
"There is a lot of misinformation around about third-party agreements and part of our job as the governing body is to address that," Weeks said. "We have got some discussions with the clubs and players to advance that.

"We are open to a range of measures to increase understanding and transparency around the cap, including potentially making those figures available."

Those discussions revolve around the publication of the amount each club's star players earn through third-party agreements, which include:

• Marquee player allowances,capped at $600,000 per club;
  • Whole of game sponsorship leveraging, often with State of Origin sponsors or government organisations;
  • Tools of trade, usually contra deals for boots or headgear; and
  • Arm's-length agreements, which are private deals between players and sponsors.
The total amount of third-party agreements in 2017 was $9.6 million spread among 198 players.

Of that amount, $3.76m is paid by the private sector and goes to 93 players. However, eight players earn 50 per cent of that figure.

Among the most well-known third-party agreements are star Melbourne Storm fullback Billy Slater, with Australian Bananas and Powerade, and his club and representative captain Cameron Smith's deal with VB.

Broncos forward Sam Thaiday is another player with high profile third-party agreements and has secured deals with a number of government and indigenous organisations in Queensland as he heads towards the end of his career.
"I think it is important that private information about player remuneration is retained in confidence," Weeks said.

Since the Parramatta Eels salary cap scandal in 2016, the amount of third-party deals in comparison to the salary cap has dropped from 12% to 6%.

Private sponsorship deals comprise 53% of all third-party agreements and this is the area most likely to cause concern for the NRL salary cap auditors.

nrl.com_tpas-graphic-002.jpg

However, the fact that 83% of all private sponsorship deals are with State of Origin stars or New Zealand and England Test representatives provides comfort, while the other 17 per cent are mostly young players with a high profile.

"We've adopted some changes in recent years that have arrested some of the trends we have seen around third-party agreements," Weeks said.

"We will continue looking at ways we can refine the process but I don't see any other option which would result in a wholesale change to the current system."

Weeks said that the effectiveness of the salary cap was demonstrated by the fact that 12 clubs have won the grand final since 2000, a figure which suggests the NRL is the most closely contested competition of any football code in world sport.

"What we have seen is 75% of our teams have won the competition since 2000 and that is significantly higher than any other major sports league in this country or around the world," Weeks said.

In comparison, the percentage of winning teams over the same period in AFL is 56%, Super Rugby 50%, the NFL 34% and EPL 25%.

$788k compared to $26k is a massive difference and shows how rich one city clubs have a distinct advantage

Add in clubs who have strong leagues clubs to help fund the football operations and it is difficult to see how we will survive long term

Lol

What a waste of time.

Its the under the table stuff that separates the Bronco's and Roosters from the rest.

Until the ATO forensically audits its a farce. Even then, the clubs will just use family members and Trusts etc to hide the money.

Its a system that just can't be fixed unfortunately.

For the Roosters to be reported as "mid table" and the Broncos to declare $500k is farcical.

Broncos would be in the 7 digit zone. Easy.

What a joke , Lockyer was on $200k a year the last two years at the Donkeys.

Widely accepted it was another $800k-$900k from the Thoroughbreds.

That’s ONE player.

TPA sponsors line up out the front door of that place.

Every second advertisement/ roadside sign has a Donkey player face on it!!

This is what is so wrong, the figures are hugely fudged!!

Let's see .... I believe the membership numbers for the Silvertails is approx. 2000 members .. if each member contributed $1000 dollars and @Dan took that $2mil to the Sa Eagles as a TPA for several players to act as "ambassadors" and contributors to the Silvertail forum ... I believe that would be a valid commercial arrangement .....

Before some of you choke on your corn flakes ..... some of the independently wealthy amongst us like @Ryan and @globaleagle will be more than happy to cover any short-fall from poor buggers like me (and you) .....

The biggest joke of all is Penrith with $550,000 in TPA's, who on earth in PENRITH, apart from a certain very wealthy leagues club,or businesses connected, be able to provide such TPA's?

There is no way those figures are correct. The roosters mid-pack - please, this is just the NRL trying to hose down the anger fans have towards TPAs cause the system is very broken.

This could also be the NRL trying to build 'positive' news before an announcement they got the manly penalty wrong and the whole TPA system is broken.

Show me the tax returns of Cooper Cronk, his partner Tara and his close relatives, and then tell me the real figures the rooster are paying him.

Let's see .... I believe the membership numbers for the Silvertails is approx. 2000 members .. if each member contributed $1000 dollars and @Dan took that $2mil to the Sa Eagles as a TPA for several players to act as "ambassadors" and contributors to the Silvertail forum ... I believe that would be a valid commercial arrangement .....

Before some of you choke on your corn flakes ..... some of the independently wealthy amongst us like @Ryan and @globaleagle will be more than happy to cover any short-fall from poor buggers like me (and you) .....
Id be more interested in us taking money together to sponsor a player or something with the club and get ourselves a box that we all share or something

Id be more interested in us taking money together to sponsor a player or something with the club and get ourselves a box that we all share or something

... but a TPA'ed player spruicking Silvertails = more members = more advertising income = more TPA money = more players spruicking Silvertails = even more members = even more income ....

Nek minut ..... global conglomerate .....

@Ryan is my sugar daddy!

The things I have to do *shudders*

Publish the figures sure, but if a player gets payments outside of what is published then he is suspended.

Also have the NRL pay the players salary cap directly (they give the clubs the money now anyhow) so the clubs pay the players ZERO and if they do the player is suspended and club fined.

Nup, you can’t have that it’s against the TPA rules, the club can’t give you a service for the money!!

Grannygate!!!!!!!
You can if you aren't part of a TPA agreement. You can if you are a player sponsor or ground sponsor

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8