NRL open fan forum chat with David Gallop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Wheel link said:
So what did he get suspended for then if it had nothing to do with the case??

It was proved in court that he was in control and not 'drunk'.

He allegedly breached of the code of alleged conduct by allegedly being allegedly drunk, allegedly.  He was lucky he didn't get 8 weeks for such outrageous conduct.

davohan123 link said:
This question was ask on the forum and this was the answer

[Comment From KneejerkKneejerk: ]
Have you apologised to Brett Stewart yet for your reactionary suspension of him on the basis of hearsay evidence that has since been disproved in court.

Reponse
David Gallop: Kneejerk, the court decision in relation to Brett Stewart did not address the issues that we dealt with him over.

Only question on stewart alllowed to pass through i see- funny that

Would love to know why Choc and other's (names escape me at the moment) weren't suspended for 4 weeks if he's still sticking with the 'drunk' in public.

Another thing is why didn't Brett Seymour go for 8 weeks he was ****ing plastered?

MadMarcus link said:
[quote author=The Wheel link=topic=185851.msg304083#msg304083 date=1288151105]
So what did he get suspended for then if it had nothing to do with the case??

It was proved in court that he was in control and not 'drunk'.

He allegedly breached of the code of alleged conduct by allegedly being allegedly drunk, allegedly.  He was lucky he didn't get 8 weeks for such outrageous conduct.

[/quote]
Allegedly - except exactly where is the evidence of Brett being drunk at the function?  Reliable, first-hand evidence of that would have been swooped on by the prosecution.  Yet reports of prosecution first-hand witness testimony presented under oath supported the assertion that Brett was not drunk at the function - as did Brett's evidence under oath.

Even if someone formed the opinion a diabetic may be intoxicated, this opinion would be unreliable as type 1 diabetics can, with low blood-sugar levels, falsely give the appearance of intoxication even without drinking alcohol or taking drugs. To simply assume a type 1 diabetic is drunk just because he appears drunk would be discriminatory to all diabetics, surely.

So where's your evidence Gallop? Where IS your apology?

here is the whole chat

NRL open fan forum chat with David Gallop

Wednesday October 27, 2010
12:03

David Gallop: Hi everyone, and welcome to today's live chat with NRL boss David Gallop. David has arrived and is awaiting your questions.
12:06
[Comment From Ben W]
There has been a significant debate about changing the rules for origin selection in regards to players who play for emerging nations, do you see a change to the qualifications ruling?
12:08

David Gallop: Hi ben, we need to be careful to maintain the importance of international football and encourage players to play for their country. Any change would have the chance of diluting the importance and status of seeing Benji Marshall play for New Zealand. So I don't believe there will be a change to the current rules.
12:08
[Comment From Brad]
Can you please explain why no other NRL club has been audited to the same extent as Melbourne. All fans want to know that every club is playing within the rules and on a level playing field.
12:10

David Gallop: Brad, every club is audited on the same basis. There's some confusion around the audit done by Deloitte at the Melbourne Storm. This was done by the owners of the club. We were involved in discussions with those auditors and expected their findings to be largely accurate. However, our own audit process is the same across all 16 clubs with a pre-season post-season and mid-season audit done at all clubs.
12:11
[Comment From John]
Hey David, I was just wondering what your thoughts are about dividing up rep games and regular games for the next tv rights deal to try and maximise the revenue gained through tv?
12:12

David Gallop: John, it's something to be considered. However, there's also value in the exclusivity for a broadcaster. For example, it is valuable for State of Origin to be talked about and promoted in the weeks leading up to it and during the club competition.
12:12
[Comment From Andy]
Hi David, can the NRL please announce the entire draw including dates up front? Being a country fan it allows us to plan trips to the games, particularly Friday night matches when we need to take a day of work. As it stand we have 3 weeks tops, my brother and I are eyeing off several Souths games as we are regional members but can’t start planning until the draw is announced, if it is then announced as a Friday night game there is no way we can attend on such short notice.
12:14

David Gallop: Andy the current system gives between 5 and 11 weeks notice, under the next broadcasting deal, we would like to see a fixed schedule but we need to consider whether it has an impact on the value of our rights.
12:14
[Comment From Michael]
david, when are we going to finally have a fair comp where each team plays each other twice? greatest game of all??? I DON"T THINK SO
12:15
[Comment From Guest]
Hi David,
12:16

David Gallop: Michael, with the amount of rep football that we currently play, we are very conscious of not increasing the amount of football for our players. A true home and away competition would certainly be attractive but the workload on our players would be enormous.
12:16
[Comment From Miffed]
Membership has been huge for the AFL for several decades. Why did it take the NRL 20 years to catch on and start to invest in this revenue stream?
12:18

David Gallop: Miffed, our membership growth has been huge in recent years. Over 25% in 2010. It required a shift in thinking for our clubs and fans. Many people were members of their leagues club and looked at this as a form of membership. These days our fans are recognising the value of membership not only at their own club but throguh membership buying windows for our big games.
12:19
[Comment From FootyShack]
Hello David and congratulations on facilitating a fabulous year of footy. Your thoughts on the following. Salary cap issues, club finances, player off field behaviour or on field performance and NRL promotion could all be improved with a change to the structure of how the salary cap is made up with more emphasis on the role of individual player sponsorships and advertising. Players could have their names on shirts and personalised sponsorship more prominent.
12:21

David Gallop: FootyShack, that's a big question. We plan to increase the allowance for club sponsors to pay players. It will go from 150,000 to 300,000 in 2011. We need to be careful not to give too big of an advantage to those clubs with greater access to sponsorship.
12:21
[Comment From Greatest Game of ALL]
Hi David- Your a brave man you will be coping it today! Just wanted to say you have been doing a great job and in my opinion you handled the Storm issue exceptionally well, congrats.
12:23

David Gallop: Hi there, thanks very much. The Melbourne Storm issue was a difficult one, but by the end of the season, the vast majority of people accepted that we dealt with it appropriately and particularly that it would not have been fair for the Storm to compete against the other teams for points with a salary cap over $1m higher than the other teams.
12:23
[Comment From Mitch]
How can the NRL allow finals to be played at Kogarah, forfeiting further revenue, and then state we can't afford to increase the salary cap?
12:25

David Gallop: Mitch, clubs are looking at playing their bigger games at the larger stadiums but homeground advantage is a reward in our finals system and FORCING a move would create an unfairness. Fairness of the comp comes ahead of revenue.
[Comment From Lester Diamond]
Hi David, thanks for doing a great job for the game since 97
[Comment From Guest]
Hi David, with regard to best maximising our TV deal has the NRL thought about introducing a Challenge Cup along the same lines as the UK currently does. This would be a ratings winner and generate significant financial returns to the game. More significantly I believe that this would be the best way to reconnect the NRL to grass roots rugby league. Logistically it may throw up a few curve balls but it is achievable while maintianing our value adding show pieces like origin. I drafted a paper on this and looked at the logistical challenges that this presents and believe that if structured right it can deliver without jeopardising the quality of the game currently. What are your thoughts?
12:28

David Gallop: Guest, it's a great idea, but our calendar is already packed and the players are being asked to play from mid Feb to mid November. We added the indigenous all stars game to the calendar this year which was an enormous success. But it is more football.
12:28
[Comment From Kalvin]
Why don't you have the balls to take control of the TV rights and demand when things are shown. i.e Melbourne is never live, tests aren't even live. Why can't you demand these are played live or give the rights to pay TV or show them on another of there channels. And please demand that Phil Gould gets the boot.
12:31

David Gallop: Kalvin, we are working hard at preparing for the next round of TV negotiations. The networks recognise the value of our game and the results in ratings. We have seen some improvements in our non-traditional states but we need to be conscious of the ratings for the broadcaster.
12:32
[Comment From Dave S]
We have been seeing a lot of NRL players going overseas or swapping codes, yet there is no punishment for returning players in terms of rep games. I would like to see a system put in place where for every year out of the NRL (unless through retirement), that player has to be back in the NRL for the equivalent time before he can play rep games again. This would be a great way of keeping our stars which is outside the cap. What are your thoughts?
12:33

David Gallop: Dave, it is difficult to restrict the movement of players between codes but we do have rewards for players that stay in the game. And we are seeing players returning to our game.
12:34
[Comment From Guest]
Hi David, 2 questions; after watching the Aus v PNG game i feel it did little for the international game. I am all for the development of the international game but i dont think playing PNG is the right way about it. do you think that a combined team of all the islands (Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG) would be more beneficial to the ‘4 nations’? With salary cap restrictions and threats of other codes, would you think that the addition of 2 more clubs would help? It would add 9mill to the NRL and would certainly help keep players here Cheers gk
12:35

David Gallop: Guest, there's a fierce rivalry between the Pacific nations and the players want to represent their country rather than their region. PNG earnt the right to the 4th place in the Four Nations.
12:35
[Comment From The Link]
David, the AFL's incursion into Western Sydney seems to have forced RL to get its house in order in this heartland area. Can you give us your perspective on the success or otherwise of the NRL/ARL's programs in Sydney's West?
12:37

David Gallop: The Link, we have been successful in Sydney's west for a long time. It's a success that's based on not one but many clubs and teams. Importantly, there's generations of people who support the game in Sydney's west. The programs we have in place now are certainly coming into the focus because of all the attnetion that has been placed in the area. Our crowds membership and junior participation are all increasing in the west of Sydney.
12:38
[Comment From peeko]
HI David
[Comment From greg]
HI David,
[Comment From John]
Hi David
[Comment From Guest]
I realise the financial importance of playing games at ANZ stadium but seeing 8,000 fans rattle around in a 90,000 stadium is disappointing and directly affects the potential atmosphere which lifts the whole game - players and fans. Can we see more games at Leichardt, SFS and SCG?
12:40

David Gallop: Guest, increasingly we are seeing clubs looking for a balance. Probably the best example is West Tigers. We all enjoy the tribalism of the suburban grounds like Leichhardt and get frustrated when the large stadiums are poorly attended. But the stadium deals are improtant for our clubs' financial future.
12:41
[Comment From david]
David - can we trial a membership bonus scheme - so that if a club reaches say the 15,000 mark - the fans then get some money back OR credit off their next membership? That way the fans encourage other fans to become members
12:42

David Gallop: David, it's a good idea in theory but we rewarded the clubs by giving them money throguh the race to 10,000 this year. We need to be conscious of the financial importance of membership to our clubs' bottom lines. Membership does have increasing benefits like exclusive buying windows.
12:43
[Comment From Guest]

David, I am a real league fan that grew up playing the game from when I was 5 years old. In 2000 I helped start and coached a rugby league club in Coventry UK which grew from 1 side in a conference to a club with 6 teams with a division 3 side. This is in a rugby strong area where rugby league had not been played since 1936. There was no money involved, players wanted to play to represent their city, supporters came to support their city it was a club owned by the people. Now in the UK if a Richard Branson type liked rugby league then he could develop that club with people to the highest level. This is true sport not entertainment. The problem that seems evident in the NRL is that it has become very similar to the WWE and so has RU for that matter. Make as much money from the entertainment and minimise costs, its good business but is it sport. You have turned the game into a machine that minimises the potential career of a player by essentially restrictive trade practises. This filters down to grass roots and kids play soccer as you would be a MUG to put your efforts into rugby league. The current salary cap system is a restrictive trade and will be the death of the sport as history has demonstrated in other examples of restrictive trade or competition. The Key Issue for Rugby League as I see it is “Getting grass roots people and communities behind their club”. My Question to you: Why cant there be Salary cap exemptions for players that are developed from junior lev
12:45

David Gallop: Guest, if all our clubs had equal numbers of juniors in their district, it would be far easier to implement a salary cap concession for developing your own. One of the reasons we have a salary cap is to distribute talent across the teams and provide those clubs with less juniors in their area with the ability to compete with the others. We will increase the concession for long standing players from 100,000 to 200,000 dollars for next season.
12:51
[Comment From Terry]
If you'd like to distribute talent, why not consider a draft/trade system allowing the bottom Clubs to get access to the best kids?
12:53

David Gallop: Terry, we have a clear philosophy in our game that there's a real value in seeing local kids turned in to local heroes. It's part of what sets our game a part. An 18 year old who grows up wanting to represent Parramatta, newcastle or any other team has a chance to do that without being drafted across the country. As such we are not in favour of a draft - the other issue is that we dont have 16 clubs with the same geographic area and the same access to players.
12:54
[Comment From Sam]
Hi David,
[Comment From Steve]
Hi David
[Comment From Sam]
As an old North Sydney fan Im very interested in any expansion plans the NRL has. What plans, if any do you have in place to increase the number of teams?
12:56

David Gallop: Sam, we will look at expansion seriously in the middle of next year when I expect we will have a clearer picture of our media rights position. Any new team must have a viable business model but also we will be interested in how that team helps the game grow strategically. Making sure our current clubs and players are sharing the game's growth, is critical to this decision.
12:57
[Comment From screaming eagle]
do you think we need to use the AFL finals system, the competition is so close that their is not enough advantage for teams finishing in the top 4, what is stopping the NRL from using this system?
12:59

David Gallop: Screaming eagle, we believe our current finals system is the best one for our game particularly when you consider the impact of the mid-season rep program. We believe that teams one and two should play teams 7 and 8 in week 1, this is the fairest match up allowing teams 1 and 2 the best chance to advance and ensuring that teams 7 and 8 face a tough game for them to advance.
1:00
[Comment From Steve]
Can you comment on the idea that whilst the salary cap is good for keeping the competition level and for keeping clubs financially viable, it does nothing to allow clubs to keep a team together over a period of time. Clubs build a team, become succesful and then have to disband huge parts of it as they cant afford the salaries under the cap. Surely you should provide a means for clubs to keep teams together that they have built
1:01

David Gallop: Steve, the system allows poorer performing teams to build up their roster and become contenders again. It's diffcult to have it both ways.
1:03
[Comment From Guest]
Is it still likely that the NRL Commission will be up and running by 1 November?
1:05

David Gallop: Guest, there are a number of parties working on the issues. It's complicated but it's pleasing to see that documents have been drafted. Clearly not everything will be in place by Nov 1, but significant progress has been made and the changes will be worthwhile for all levels of the game.
1:05
[Comment From BM]
Hi David, has a general warning been put out to clubs regarding another breach of the salary cap. Is there a standard punishment now or considering you have taken this stance with Melbourne, will you deal with other clubs more harshly. Cheers
1:07

David Gallop: BM, the message could not be any clearer. Where we have large scale breaches which are deliberately concealed from us then the penalties need to be substantial. A line was drawn in the sand with the Bulldogs in 2002, and all clubs know that.
1:08
[Comment From Kneejerk]
Have you apologised to Brett Stewart yet for your reactionary suspension of him on the basis of hearsay evidence that has since been disproved in court.
1:08

David Gallop: Kneejerk, the court decision in relation to Brett Stewart did not address the issues that we dealt with him over.

1:10
[Comment From Andrew]
David, I think you generally do a good job in a trying environment, but reading your replies today, not once have you acknowledged an error or that the NRL could do better. This is typical of the NRL genreally and really creates an environment where it appears taht you don't listen to fans or seem to be plannning for the future. Your comment on this?
1:11

David Gallop: Andrew, we can always do better but the results this year show the game is improving year on year.
1:12
[Comment From AFL Warrior]
Does the NRL send a good message to up and coming Islander players that if you play this game and then run off and play AFL then the ARL will victimise you and act like spoilt children? One just has to look how your code has been treating Israel Folau over the past couple weeks, especially by banning him from being the waterboy for Tonga.
1:13

David Gallop: AFL warrior, the fact is Israel can't be an AFL and an NRL player at the same time. He made a choice, and I wish him well.
1:14
[Comment From AaronL]
Mr Gallop, where do you see the state of the game in 10 years time?
1:17

David Gallop: AaronL, the game is well and truly back and in a sound position. Our competition allows our players to show their talent every week in a comp where any team can beat another. There are difficult issues to deal with and they are often not as black and white as some suggest. We work hard to get those decisions right and it's great to see our fans taking such an interest in the game. Can I thank everyone for bloging with me today.

There are some interesting questions there i.e
such as the membership, challenge cup style comp, and international football.

This will earn me some more demerit points but any way
I believe we as member's eventually have to get something as I pointed out what Souffs are giving out.

A Challenge Cup Style Comp could be played in the preseason and you could actualy shorten the season  by 4 weeks estimate. Seriously I don't think Gallop watches the free reign that the NAB Cup and the start of the S14 now S15 have over the NRL during this time, given that RL kills these two codes during the regular season could you imagine what would happen around this time?

As for the International Football as proven this year SoO is no longer a black and white area for that matter in my opinion no longer serves as a selection trial for Australia, so let player's of the ilk of Daniel Vidot, Aquila Uate play for Qld and NSW and then play for the like's of Samoa and Fiji. I could only imagine the benefit's for International Football

We have 500+ signatures to our petition.  Might be time to email the NRL about this and suggest their sponsors are suffering.

Matabele link said:
We have 500+ signatures to our petition.  Might be time to email the NRL about this and suggest their sponsors are suffering.

Let us know how you go mate.

Gallop has to be more specific about Stewart's suspension and therefore the behaviour of the Club at the Season Launch!  His response effectively said "piss off, it's already been dealt with".

WHAT DID HE DO WRONG?????????

Matabele link said:
Yeah, why don't you show them your super impressive bar graph! That will change their minds! As if their sponsors are 'feeling the pinch' mate. VB me up!

So,did we ever find out if Tahu (and you can throw thurston and non-inglis in as well) is going to be suspended for 4 games for bringing the game into disrepute.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8