NRL may be mis-reading its fans on this issue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Are any of the infrastructure works not about a year or two behind and hundreds of millions over budget..?
North west rail is apparently on track to deliver early and under budget. I’m the definition of a swing voter in that I’ll likely vote labor federal and lib state.

The main reason being at least this gov is doing ****. I’d rather they make a few mistakes while trying to do stuff as opposed to successive gov that left the state with a massive infrastructure shortfall. Nothing got built for years. Now we complain because a lot is being built at once. Short term pain for long term gain in my view.

State labor will get my vote when they stop only saying what they’re not going to do. I hate neg politics. Have a plan for something constructive rather than Abbott politics of just saying you won’t do stuff

I don't follow nsw politics anymore, but I will say that QLD SEEM to do it much better.

I don't even live in Sydney, or NSW, but even I can see that knocking down the perfectly good, 30 year old SFS which rarely gets filled as it is with a similar sized, $700M stadium is just plain stupid. The SFS has never been filled to its 45,500 capacity as it is in its 30 years (the record is 44,380 for the Chooks vs Souffs Prelim Final this year), what makes them think that a new stadium will change that? Especially after the novelty has worn off? I highly doubt that the Chooks, Waratahs or Sydney FC will consistently fill the new stadium.

There is so much more that $700M could pay for in NSW that would benefit the wider community and not just not satisfy the self serving toffs at the SCG Trust. Health, education and transport immediately come to mind.

Greenturd's problem is that he looks at the AFL in Melbourne with the MCG and Etihad (which the AFL actually majority owns and is the stadium manager, so every event at the Docklands means they profit from it) and he see's the $$$$ that the AFL makes from having all games in Melbourne played at just the two main venues. He see's that and wants exactly the same in Sydney with ANZ, Western Sydney and the new SFS. What he fails to realise is that people in Sydney are very different to those in Melbourne. AFL fans down south love going to the MCG and Etihad to watch games, plus its easy for them because all trains lead to the MCG and Etihad is serviced from all points by buses. And the AFL attracts far more spectators than the NRL does (the 2018 Finals attendances for both were pretty damning against the NRL). In Sydney, the majority of league fans would much rather watch games at their local suburban grounds than at any of the stadiums.

To make a short story long, Greenturd see's big money in stadium deals for the NRL. And that is all he see's. The fact that he is using the fans as his excuse for this issue is laughable because in all reality he couldn't give a rats arse about the punters. They are just the means to an end.

They portrayed the sfs as a death trap. It’s a wonder anyone who went there to see a match survived. According to the scg trust which wants billions of dollars for its operations, hundreds of people were killed while attending a match, due to the hazardous nature of the stadium.
We should open a class action against the NRL, SFS Trust, Greenberg & Beatty for knowingly & willfully allowing us to attend matches at the stadium & endangering our lives! I will have nightmares now knowing i could have perished in a crumbling SFS :sweating:

This to me is the biggest issue with the NRL, they are constantly telling fans what the fans want (without listening to them), or telling the Government....this is what the fans want.

Now don't get me wrong. They don't need to take a consensus on every decision, but on things like this where they are using the old 'the fans want', well you need to actually listen to them.

I love my rugby league, like all of you, but I'm opposed to the NSW Government knocking down a perfectly good SFS and spending $700-Million on a similar stadium. This is a waste of money when funds should be diverted to much more pressing matters, such as education and health.
Greenturd, however, thinks that NRL fans will be appalled at the suggestion by the NSW Opposition to scrap the new stadium plan. I'm not a Labor supporter but I do believe the party is correct on this.
Am I in the minority here? Will you other NRL fans back Greenturd's call to "vote against Labor just because of this"?
I agree that this is a monumental waste of money, but to say just spend on education and health is simplistic and populist. One thing I am certain of is that we could double, then triple and then quadruple spending on education and health and people would still be claiming more needs to be spent. It's simply a giant black hole for money that has no discernible positive change in outcomes. Those policy areas need innovation and change, which is something those involved in those industries don't want.

Bring politicians superannuation entitlements in line with the general community and channel the savings towards a new hospital in Mona Vale, problem solved.

Are any of the infrastructure works not about a year or two behind and hundreds of millions over budget..?
The first stage of the metro for one.

If the same projects had been started under Labor, they would probably be running late too. The reasons are more complex than merely who is in power.

You would do well to reflect on the fact that the ALP have sat in government in NSW for all but about 26 years since 1941. In other words, about 66% of the ensuing period.

That has included the destruction of virtually all of the tram network - you know, those ‘blight(s) on the landscape’ that another poster referred to a while back. He also predicted that no one would use the new LR. ‘Impressive’ foresight, but not backed up by the evidence of the Inner West LR. Another project instigated by a previous Coalition state government after years of talk under the 1976-88 NSW Labor government.

Regarding Fitzsimons (Brett Stewart sends his regards), his agenda is an asymmetric attack on Alan Jones. Nothing wrong with hating Jones, but Bandana Boy lives in Mosman, so a sudden drying up of game changing infrastructure spending under another Labor government won’t hit him too hard. He will just continue to churn out his turgid, semi-fictional shockers that pose as ‘history’, from the bosky climes of the Lower North Shore, a short ferry ride from the city.

As for the Newcastle-Sydney-Wollongong argument, I see plenty of money being poured into road infrastructure (for starters) outside those three cities. But I would also reflect on the fact that that is where the vast bulk of NSW’s GDP is generated (i.e. the major ports so that the stuff from the NSW hinterland can be exported) and where the vast bulk of the State’s population lives. Therefore that’s where the bulk of the money is spent - if you want NSW to remain the wealthiest and most populous state.

Alternatively, stick your head in the sand, hope for the best and continue to base your respective opinions according to the musings of professional agitators (from either end of the political spectrum) - like Jones or Fitzsimons.

But don’t complain when Melbourne and Victoria overtake Sydney and NSW, because a clueless mob out of Sussex Street consistently avoid the hard infrastructure decisions, reminiscent of the 1976-88 and 1995-2011 models, that have left the current government little alternative but to undertake several big ticket projects simultaneously, in an attempt to get ahead of the bow wave, with the attendant risks associated with complex engineering projects.

Last edited:
The first stage of the metro for one.

If the same projects had been started under Labor, they would probably be running late too. The reasons are more complex than merely who is in power.

You would do well to reflect on the fact that the ALP have sat in government in NSW for all but about 26 years since 1941. In other words, about 66% of the ensuing period.

That has included the destruction of virtually all of the tram network - you know, those ‘blight(s) on the landscape’ that another poster referred to a while back. He also predicted that no one would use the new LR. ‘Impressive’ foresight, but not backed up by the evidence of the Inner West LR. Another project instigated by a previous Coalition state government after years of talk under the 1976-88 NSW Labor government.

Regarding Fitzsimons (Brett Stewart sends his regards), his agenda is an asymmetric attack on Alan Jones. Nothing wrong with hating Jones, but Bandana Boy lives in Mosman, so a sudden drying up of game changing infrastructure spending under another Labor government won’t hit him too hard. He will just continue to churn out his turgid, semi-fictional shockers that pose as ‘history’, from the bosky climes of the Lower North Shore, a short ferry ride from the city.

As for the Newcastle-Sydney-Wollongong argument, I see plenty of money being poured into road infrastructure (for starters) outside those three cities. But I would also reflect on the fact that that is where the vast bulk of NSW’s GDP is generated (i.e. the major ports so that the stuff from the NSW hinterland can be exported) and where the vast bulk of the State’s population lives. Therefore that’s where the bulk of the money is spent - if you want NSW to remain the wealthiest and most populous state.

Alternatively, stick your head in the sand, hope for the best and continue to base your respective opinions according to the musings of professional agitators (from either end of the political spectrum) - like Jones or Fitzsimons.

But don’t complain when Melbourne and Victoria overtake Sydney and NSW, because a clueless mob out of Sussex Street consistently avoid the hard infrastructure decisions, reminiscent of the 1976-88 and 1995-2011 models, that have left the current government little alternative but to undertake several big ticket projects simultaneously, in an attempt to get ahead of the bow wave, with the attendant risks associated with complex engineering projects.
I'm generally for the projects where they will meet future needs not just address traffic issues of today, but the risks are exacerbated with a bunch of projects happening at the same time. Why? Because as a country we don't have the man power to do a bunch of large scale engineering projects all at once (add to that Brisbane's Cross River Rail which will kick off next year). That's way too much tunnelling that spreads the tunnelling skills very thin across the country...

North west rail is apparently on track to deliver early and under budget. I’m the definition of a swing voter in that I’ll likely vote labor federal and lib state.

The main reason being at least this gov is doing ****. I’d rather they make a few mistakes while trying to do stuff as opposed to successive gov that left the state with a massive infrastructure shortfall. Nothing got built for years. Now we complain because a lot is being built at once. Short term pain for long term gain in my view.

State labor will get my vote when they stop only saying what they’re not going to do. I hate neg politics. Have a plan for something constructive rather than Abbott politics of just saying you won’t do stuff
My thoughts exactly! Gladys was getting stuff done for NSW finally, except for the light rail, which has been a debacle - but that is more likely to be the result of the cut-price (Spanish?) company employed to deliver it. But the stadiums thing is plain wrong in my view - it is following this American model, where they have amaaaazing venues full of bars and hamburger joints and cheerleaders and WiFi and stuff...but then your Aussie average footy fan just wants to chuff off to their convenient local venue after lunch with the family on a Sunday afternoon, sit on the hill with a couple of cold bevvies, shout at the ref for a while, soak up the tribal atmosphere then head home again. All Brookie, Leichhardt etc need is a bit of TLC - $20 million each for better toilets and canteen facilities would do the trick. Spend $100 million on grassroots stadiums and save the rest...put it back into roads that we don;t have to pay extra to use maybe.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8