NRL in Las Vegas

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Could be about to lose our major sponsor because of gambling rules.

Let's head to Vegas for a match.

Anyone thinking of going? I am if the club is settled. I guess I won't be going.

But as I say a minimum ( and it’s probably way more ) of $2 million just to get the teams there and accommodate them.

Unless there’s a big sponsor I still can’t see it happen , BUT, you make good points.

Didn't they make $63m last year and like $54m the previous.

Surely money is not a factor.

I've given this some deep thort. Yes lets all go to Vagus and share the weekend with MMA and other such enterprenoorial bodies and types. Hopefawlly they will see that there is oppertoonity in rugbay leegue to make dollars and dollars, if they tweek the game away from the currant NRL admin's logic which is to rooin the game as fast they can. The new bosses can bye up all of the clubs and players and have the NRL and ARLC left out of the pitchoor entirely. The MMA running rugby leeage would be sumfin spektacklular.

I've given this some deep thort. Yes lets all go to Vagus and share the weekend with MMA and other such enterprenoorial bodies and types. Hopefawlly they will see that there is oppertoonity in rugbay leegue to make dollars and dollars, if they tweek the game away from the currant NRL admin's logic which is to rooin the game as fast they can. The new bosses can bye up all of the clubs and players and have the NRL and ARLC left out of the pitchoor entirely. The MMA running rugby leeage would be sumfin spektacklular.
. . . and let's have a rugby league match stretching over three hours like Gridiron. Not!

Could be about to lose our major sponsor because of gambling rules.

Let's head to Vegas for a match.

Anyone thinking of going? I am if the club is settled. I guess I won't be going.

Yeah, the after party is at @globaleagle 's place in Canada .. Missus Moose said it's fine to bring some friends home ..

Yeah, the after party is at @globaleagle 's place in Canada .. Missus Moose said it's fine to bring some friends home ..
woof GIF by Super Simple

If you're not taking the piss then I reckon there's a problem

Sport Confidential: NRL will launch 2024 season in Las Vegas, Broncos one of four clubs to play in US

The Brisbane Broncos will kick-off the 2024 season in Las Vegas, spearheading the NRL’s $200 million plan to target US hearts, minds and the lucrative sport gambling market.

The NRL is going to Las Vegas in one of the most significant events in rugby league’s 115-year history.

Sport Confidential can reveal the 2024 NRL season will kick-off in America, with the Brisbane Broncos set to spearhead rugby league’s bold $200 million plan to win over the hearts and minds of US sports fans.

The ARL Commission will ratify a five-year contract with American delegates for NRL premiership matches to be staged in the US until the end of 2028 – starting with a double header next year in Vegas.

News Corp last month revealed plans for the NRL to explore the possibility of staging a double-header in America to capitalise on the nation’s huge broadcasting-and-betting markets.

Now the American Dream is real.

The ARL Commission will give the green light to launching the 2024 Telstra Premiership season in America and only an 11th-hour collapse in talks will prevent four NRL teams playing historic matches in Sin City next March.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys and NRL boss Andrew Abdo returned to Australia a fortnight ago after a fact-finding mission where the high-powered duo met with American delegates.

US stakeholders were highly impressed with the V’landys-Abdo pitch. Now the NRL will proceed with due-diligence, logistical planning and stadium talks to showcase rugby league to 331 million Americans.

A formal announcement on the NRL’s double-header is expected in the next four to eight weeks pending advanced negotiations with American officials.

Abdo declined to comment on Thursday but V’landys told News Corp before his departure to the US that the American market was an untapped goldmine for the NRL.

“This (proposed double header in Vegas) is not a one-off experiment, it is all part of a five-year strategic plan for us to penetrate America,” V’landys said.

“People say we have tried this before in America and failed.

“They have never tried it to the magnitude we are going to try it.

“The potential benefits, financially, would be in the tens of millions.

“And if we do it right, it could be in the hundreds of millions.

“There’s significant revenue that could be generated for rugby league in America ... and we’re going to explore it.”

Las Vegas’ 65,000-capacity Allegiant Stadium is slated to host four NRL teams next season.

It can also be revealed the Broncos are among the frontrunners to embark on the maiden American voyage.

Broncos chief executive Dave Donaghy said recently that Queensland’s flagship club was keen to be part of the historic venture to Vegas.

“We are certainly open to it and hearing more about the concept and what the NRL’s long-term plans for the US may be,” Donaghy said.

“Subject to aligning with our schedule and planning, I’m sure we would have a level of interest to have a discussion about what an NRL double header in Vegas would look like.

“The game is keeping its cards close to its chest for now, but the one thing we want to provide for our players and staff and fans is really great opportunities.

“If you have the opportunity to play an NRL game at a stadium like that in Vegas, it would be negligent of us not to look at and give it serious consideration.”

Under the NRL’s Vegas plan, four clubs will tour America every year for the next five years.

That will ensure all 17 clubs get a slice of the American pie, with powerhouse clubs such as the Broncos, Melbourne, South Sydney and the Roosters to lead the way as Sin City pioneers.

Super coach Wayne Bennett is a massive fan of the NRL’s idea, saying: “I love Vegas. It’s my favourite place in America.

“There’s a huge market over there and it would be great to see NRL games in America.”

from the article:

• American delegates
  • US stakeholders
  • American officials

lol

who?

Actually, I just hope they haven't found the latest dodgy brother who has rocked up and promised them everything. It's been badly done before.

whilst I don't think they'll make much in-roads to the us market (but go for it lads) the five year plan means I'll be able to see a game or two at least.

I also wish that as it's the start of the season, teams take it seriously and the nrl has everything in place to minimise disruptions to the players.

It's a tad disingenuous to claim the game will be taken to '331 million Americans' when '26.5 mill Australians' don't watch the game.

So if they're going to give it a go, do the damn thing properly, I don't wanna be sitting my myself in some stadium paying $25 for a beer.

It doesn't seem like it, but for selfish reasons I'm more excited about the prospect than you guys. (Even though it'll still cost a few hundred $$$$ to watch it -travel etc).

Anyway, Manly may not even be going.

^ Am I reading that right. Has the NRL sidelined Scotty Penn and Manly won't be involved now?

.....That will ensure all 17 clubs get a slice of the American pie, with powerhouse clubs such as the Broncos, Melbourne, South Sydney and the Roosters to lead the way as Sin City pioneers......

Seems like it! 😲

I will save money on the first year then as I'm not going to watch media backed clubs, nor a kicked out club, nor one who cheats the cap and gets away with it continuously.

I guess Crowe > Penn

lol

Sport Confidential: Seven NRL clubs reject playing in historic double header in Las Vegas

The race to Vegas is down to 10. Sport Confidential can reveal that more than half the teams in the competition have formally expressed a desire to be part of the historic double header in Las Vegas next year after being contacted by the NRL this week.

The clubs that are keen include Manly, Cronulla, Bulldogs, Brisbane, South Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Dolphins, Roosters and Gold Coast.

Some clubs including North Queensland, Wests Tigers and Penrith have expressed an interest in travelling to the US in 2025.

The Panthers want to delay their involvement until they have come clarity around plans for their stadium, which is likely to undergo significant renovation in coming years.

The Warriors are focused on growing the game in New Zealand. They understood the push for an “Australian Week” of festivities meant they were unlikely to be selected.

Clubs including Canterbury want to be considered as an away team only. This comes after clubs received a document from NRL boss Andrew Abdo on Monday asking them to demonstrate why they should be part of the landmark double header in America.

“The NRL has received significant interest from clubs to participate in this inaugural event and will consider the information requested below to allow the commission to determine the most optimal combination of teams for 2024 and beyond,” the email states.

“The NRL values what clubs will bring to this concept and, importantly, the engagement of as many fans as possible for this unique and exciting opportunity and experience.

“The NRL’s primary objective is to maximise stadium attendance and establish a solid foundation for a strong connection with the US market in future seasons.

“We are actively seeking partnerships with clubs to achieve this.”

The document confirmed some of the details around the historic games. They will be played on March 2 in Las Vegas and be broadcast back into Australia on March 3.

Kick-off will be at 6pm and 830pm local time, meaning they will be screened in Australia at 1pm and 3.30pm. The matches will be played at Allegiant Stadium and teams playing in Las Vegas will be given the week off the following week, when the remaining 13 teams will kick off their seasons. Essentially they will be playing in round zero.

Two teams will arrive on February 26 and two other teams will arrive the next day. The head coach and squads of 22 players will fly business class and accommodation will be provided for up to six nights with teams to leave on either March 3 or 4.

Clubs were asked to nominate whether they are interested in participating in Las Vegas in the inaugural season only or on a recurring basis over ensuing years.

The NRL has plans to take the match to the US for five years and could potentially rotate teams to ensure everyone who wants a crack gets one.

They were also asked to nominate what commercial fee they would want to be the home team and what sort of marketing support they can provide for the concept.

This is where the likes of Manly and South Sydney may have a competitive advantage thanks to the support of high-profile acts Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe.

“Include any aspects of value that your club and stakeholders can bring in order to make the event successful including awareness, fan travel and corporate/ticketing opportunities,” the email states.

The NRL has already reached out to Jackman to see whether he would be interested in performing in Las Vegas as part of an Australian Week celebration. There are plans for a UFC bout to be headlined by an Australian as well as a boxing fight.

The clubs were further asked to demonstrate whether they saw any opportunities for player development in the USA.

“If so, how do you intend to capitalise on these?” the email states.

1688698562437.png

So the nrl want to go to 'merica, and have asked the clubs to do their homework for them.

"noice"

Considering Penn has been lobbying for a game in the States for 4 years .... How big a slap in the face to Penn and Manly if we're left out ...

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2